Facing Open Heart Surgery

Let us pray for you!
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Facing Open Heart Surgery

Post by sweetcheeks »

Asking for prayers as I am soon to undergo open heart surgery to replace aortic valve. I am back on LDL to get my weight down to aid in the recovery process. Would appreciate your prayers and support.
bless you,
Sweetcheeks
cameron
Master Member

Re: Facing Open Heart Surgery

Post by cameron »

Oh my goodness, my thoughts and prayers are with you. When does the surgery take place?
In the meantime one of the best things you can do for yourself is to eat the LDL way.
Please keep us updated.
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Post by sweetcheeks »

Cameron....thank you for your reply. I have appt. with cardiac surgeon next Monday. I believe he will review all the tests I've had and make a date for the surgery. My condition went from moderate last year to "severe" this past May. Cardiologist said it's imperative to have the surgery now. This is weighing heavily on my mind. Have been on LDL for the past week and losing slowly. Hardest thing to overcome is my penchant for sugar!!! :x I pray daily for the Lord's grace to get me through this difficult time.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

SweeetCheeks,
My prayers are with you.
In the beginning, I ate bowls of corn. It helped me to get past the cravings for sugar. I hope it can help you too!
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome back Sweetcheeks.
My prayers go out to you for a miraculous healing.
One of the best ways to overcome the sugar addiction is to absolutely eliminate Corn Syrup and MSG.
Use fruit to satisfy sweet cravings and only use organic evaporated cane sugar as you are weaning off.
Eventually you will loose the addiction for granulated sugar.
In preparation for surgery get on some Vit D3 and probiotics.

Keep us updated.
Last edited by LINDA RN on August 6th, 2013, 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I will pray for you. You are doing the very best thing by eating LDL foods. It will also help you while you recuperate. Cardiac surgery has advanced so much in the past 30 years. You will feel so much better when your valve is functioning properly. You will also heal faster when you eat LDL foods after surgery. You may have to have food brought in like Pam, hospital food is not always the healthiest. May God bless you richly and comfort you with His mercy and love. Life is good. :YMPRAY:
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Post by sweetcheeks »

Thank you all for your encouragement, prayers and suggestions. I will try the corn to see if it helps with the sugar addiction. Thank you also for welcoming me back to the boards. Questions: Where does one find "organic evaporated cane sugar"? never heard of it. What is the "New Red Book"? is it an updated version of my blue book? Also today for the first time in a long time, I had refried beans with an egg for my protein meal at noon. I was famished but I must have eaten too quickly or too much as I was sick for the next 2 hours or so--diarrhea! Any idea why?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Many people have noted being sick after a few days on the plan. No way to know for sure why. It could have been the eggs, or more likely toxins finally exiting your body. If it is the toxins, it will pass and you will start feeling great.
Another thing to consider is what meds are you taking? Many have had to go back to their doc to have med doses lowered.

I buy the Florida Crystals from Walmart. I started by using Sugar in the Raw. It is the least processed of sugars and I use it very sparingly.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

My prayers are with you. You are doing the very best thing you can by feeding your body a healthy diet in preparation for surgery.
Pam
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

When I first gave up wheat and sugar I went through withdrawal symptoms, It resovled in 3 days. You need to eat an abundance of fresh fruit which is in season now, to get rid of the cravings. I would highly recommend not eating any sugar, because it may be the least processed, but it is still processed. If you can't get organic, get fruit from a farmer's market or pick the best quality fruit available. Linda suggested a fruit and soup flush to me and that helped get me out of a slump. I had baby lima soup yesterday with ground turkey and onions. It was great and when you make a big pot it will last for several meals. Beans and fruit will help with the cravings. Read the journals to see how others got through that first few weeks, Zesti's journal helped me a lot. God bless you, stay in there. May god's powerful, healing angels surround you.
Last edited by omalani on August 8th, 2013, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

SweetCheeks,
Sugar was a really, REALLY hard one for me. Before LDL I was eating everything with sugar and still wanting more!
When I found LDL it was a life saver! At first, fruit wasn't sweet enough but I just kept eating it and I mean, EATING a lot of it and in between, bowls of corn and still eating my other meals with beans, lots and lots of beans.
I took me about 4 days to get over the really bad cravings. I didn't realize just how addicted I was.
I wanted to divorce my DH and tear down the house!! Now, I know how drug addicts feel!!
But, I ate fruit until I couldn't eat anymore and then I ate some more.
Grilled corn is my favorite. when I have that with or as my meal. I don't even think of sugar.
LittlePrincess suggested eating roasted soy nuts with golden raisins. That really helped too.
Follow the program in the book. Don't worry about calories just eat!
I still enjoy fruit. I love fruit! I make smoothies and add beans. Sometimes I eat fruit with my smoothie. Whatever it takes. I did not eat any sugar at all! Nothing with sugar in it what so ever! No fake sugar, no organic sugar. My body just picks it all up as being sugar. Splenda sends me into sugar cravings like crazy. Some folks can handle a little of that. I am not one of those folks!
You can do this. Once you stay off of "the stuff" for a couple of days, it does get easier. It did for me anyway. Now, when I crave "a little something" I eat fruit and it take the craving away and I am satisfied.
No more midnight runs to 7'11 for M+M's. My DH loves that!
Zesti
P.S. I emailed Roger and he sent me the updates to the red book. My book was red from the beginning. I came along after the blue book. It is well worth ordering a new book though. It helps to re-read it from time to time. I am so sorry I did not order the recipe cards. I am going back to order those. It's so handy just to have them in the kitchen and covered with plastic.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Oh. I forgot. I did use stevia when I had too. It is the only type of "sugar" that did not send me off into additional sugar cravings.
Zesti.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Sweet cheeks, I will be praying for you. Glad you're back on LDL. I too was a sugar addict. Fruit and beans helped me. I don't crave sugar now, but fix foods with stevia and some Splenda. They don't start any cravings for me. :ymhug: JF
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Post by sweetcheeks »

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. This morning I wasn't hungry! But had a banana with my cup of coffee as I thought it best to have something in my stomach. I thought I would pass on a sugar substitute that I have been using that is a derivative of Stevia. It's called Truvia and I like it so much better as it actually has granules akin to real sugar. On the downside it is quite expensive. Eureka!!! I found an alternative at about half the price called Sweet Mate that lists it compares to Truvia. All natural made with stevia extract. Distributed by Merisant US, Inc. Chicago, IL in case anyone is interested. Purchased it at Save A Lot. It is just as good as Truvia and costs about half. :)
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

sweetcheeks I just wanted to say welcome back and I am praying for you as well. *HUGS* Hope today is a good one for you. :)

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by sweetcheeks »

Met with the surgeon for the first time yesterday. The valve situation is very grave. He went over all the tests results and has ordered a cat scan for next Monday to confirm if I have an aortic aneurism that will also need to be repaired during the surgery. Surgery to be in September and his office will call with the date as soon as it is coordinated in his schedule. In the interim I ask for your continued prayers and support. On the bright side, I have NO vascular disease AND I have lost 10 pounds thanks to LDL meal planning and the grace of Our Lord! :)
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Prayers for your successful surgery and complete recovery!
Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Praying for you. Waiting is hard to do;however it builds faith in Jesus Christ. You are doing well with LDL. R :ymhug: JF
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

You are doing so well. It's hard enough to change your lifestyle, but sometimes facing surgery helps you to have the "why". I know I heal better when I'm not eating Sugar, flour, pasta, rice and potatoes. My immunity is better. Life has it's shadows but we have a Good Shepherd that guides us, protects us and never leaves us. Live abundantly with LDL.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11