Sister needs prayer again

Let us pray for you!
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Sister needs prayer again

Post by robnveronica »

see and here I was thinking ....that's not a big deal type infection!  Only because I deal with this type of infection all day long. Our patients at our facility usually have this in wounds and/or sputum. Yes it's treated with Vancomycin because of it's resistance to the other antibiotics. And last I heard, many people out in the community actually are colonized with this infection. It only becomes a problem when your immune system is low or you have a medical problem, like your sister.

It's a big deal to the commnunity, but to those of us who work with it, it's not as big a deal!
Just be sure to wear gloves and wash your hands or use an alcohol based gel after your visit!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

My question is:  Mom and I are both susceptible to bronchitis/bronchial pneumonia.  Would/Could this bacteria cause us problems?

We were reading and it could be STOPPED...if they gave everyone a blood test when they enter the hospital/nursing home and then would keep them away from those who do NOT have it.  Why won't they do it?

Also, would it be better for her to wait until she is free of this infection BEFORE she decides to have heart surgery?  A year ago they told her she was NOT a candidate for it due to the height/weight ratio.  She does not understand why now they want her to do it.  Any advise?

Love,

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Post by niki »

hi jeanne...i would say that at this point,they feel that the surgery is necessary.......
  you don't have to worry about visiting her...just take the precautions i mentioned(as long as you're not actively sick)...ESPECIALLY in your sister's case where it's in her wound and her wound is covered...your mother(if anything)is a little more at risk than you are....but as long as you're careful at what you touch there, careful to wash your hands and change your clothes when you get home,you'll both be fine......   
  it can't be stopped and certainly not by testing everyone before they go into the hospital..it is partly from drs who prescribe antibiotics to people that don't need them...people that don't take antibiotics the way they're prescribed.....mrsa is really common in wounds...and also in people's respiratory systems(nares)...the average healthy person walking down the street doesn't have mrsa(not generally)...it's the debilitated person who's bed ridden with multiple health issues who's susceptible.........  
  now,i assumed that your sister is on vancomycin iv....there is also VRE(vancomycin resistant enterococcus)....there are people who have vre and are not treatable because what they have is resistant to EVERYTHING......the bacteria do something they call colonization.........i always think of it as the bacteria creating a colony and are therefore happy to hang out with each other,no longer looking to damage their host..................i've seen VRE most commonly in the urine.....if the bacteria have colonized,these people get sent home with instructions to be careful to wash their hands carefully....as i said,a healthy person is not going to get this that easily......     
   just add these to the growing list of diseases that man cannot cure or resolve...........niki
Last edited by niki on February 6th, 2007, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

YEP what she said!!! (referring to Niki)

Quoting Niki:
as long as you're careful at what you touch there, careful to wash your hands and change your clothes when you get home,you'll both be fine...... 
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Well, Monday, February 12th, at 7 A.M. EST Shirley will undergo heart surgery.  They are going to repair/replace a valve.  We are trying to find out which one it is.  I will be off work on Monday to be with Mom at the hospital.  I was scheduled to have labs done at 7 A.M. in Elkhart, but we will have to be at the South Bend hospital before that, so I just moved all my appointments to March.  But, I know that God is in control.  Thanks for all the prayers and info ladies.  God Bless!
Love,
Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Post by niki »

i'll continue praying and will pray monday morning particularly....thanks for keeping us updated...i'm so sorry for all these difficulties in your family........BUT,thank God that He's in control..........in Him,niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Monday, the 12th, Shirley underwent heart surgery.  She kept telling me that they were going to repair her valve.  Well, she was right.  They repaired it by replacing it.  She was gone for almost 7 hours.  She came through the surgery well.  The doc said they didn't have any problems.  That is a good report for her...and I do Praise the Lord for His help through this difficult time.  Last night they were able to remove her breathing tube.  Today she did NOT have to have dialysis...so we are hoping that is a thing of the past.  Mom just talked to her nurse and she said they are beginning to wean her off all the tubes, etc.  She will be in the Critical Cardio care unit until at least tomorrow before being moved to another room.

Thanks for your your prayers.  We just need to keep her in them until she is totally well.

Love,

Jeanne
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Jeanne so glad to hear the surgery went smoothly. Of course we'll continue to pray for her until everything is over and done!
Keep us posted!
Veronica
niki

Post by niki »

hi jeanne...i'm so glad that everything went well...will continue to pray........in Him,niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Jeanne,

I hope you let your sister know that she has an entire "posse" praying for her.  I'm glad the surgery went well.  I didn't realize that they dialysis had anything to do with the heart valve...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Carolyn,
  I am sure the dialysis is still connected to her diabetes.  But, the blood flow was restricted from the leaking heart valve to the kidneys and also to her left leg.  The Cardiothorasis nurse said they were hopeful that the new valve would help her leg to heal.  She is supposed to go to a heart recovery room today...IF...they can find a room for her.  I understand they have the IV's all removed and she is eating.  She wants to go home...so that is a good sign.
    Thanks all...and keep remembering her name in prayer.  This is the second prayer line that is worldwide that her name is on.
Love,
Jeanne
niki

Post by niki »

and WE'LL pray right along with their hopefulness to the Great Physician.........thanks for the update, jeanne.......niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Well, my sister has WON her final battle.  She was promoted to HEAVEN this afternoon.  It is my understanding that the doctor was removing her drainage tube from her heart surgery and was having to stitch it up and she had a massive heart attack.  Mom had talked to her this morning and her one son had been with her just after that and she seemed fine.  Anyway, my phone rang at work at 2:30 and Mom said, can you come home right away?  I asked why and she told me.  So, as quickly as I could get things put away, I left and came home to be with her.  Thanks for all the prayers everyone!  I know that God heard us and perhaps the battle was too much for her to continue here.  I love you all!

Jeanne
niki

Post by niki »

all i can say is PRAISE GOD.....my prayers will now be with you and your family, jeanne.....you're absolutely right....maybe the battle was too much...BUT,thank God that He called her to Himself before He took her home.......in Him,niki
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Jeanne;

The way we phrased it for my mother in June was, "Cherry has passed into Life."  My prayers are with your family.

NJ
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Jeanne,

I'm happy for your sister, but sad for those of you left here.  No matter what, we miss our loved ones, therefore, my prayers are for you and your family at this time.  My heart hurts for you today.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Thanks all for the prayers.  We are so grateful for friends at these times.  We are still waiting for the funeral arrangements to be relayed to us, so we still know nothing.  I'll check back at a later time.  My brother and his wife are here from Kalamazoo, MI. to stay with Mom.  I can see their vehicle out my kitchen window and the window by my computer.  It will help me to not have to stay next door all the time. 

Love,

Jeanne
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

Have you heard the song by Kirk Talley "Seranaded by Angels"?  The lyrics are "She went to sleep one night, never here to awaken.  But everything was all right, between her and HIM.  So she awoke in heaven's courtyard, free from pain within.  The angels gathered round her and they took her by the hand.  Serenaded by angels, up to the throne.  Serenaded by angels, finally at home.  Seranaded by praises to the King, "Welcome to paradise" the angels will sing.

Now I close my eyes at night and I try to imagine, That city of brilliant light, waiting for me.  But my mind cannot conceive, so I'll continue to grieve, 'Til I'm transpported there, and then I will be "Seranaded by Angels".

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Suzie
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Yes, Suzie, I have heard that song...sung by the writer himself...live...in Pigeon Forge, TN. a few years ago.  As a matter of fact, I have sung that song at several funerals...One even when the power went off due to a strong storm and winds...just before the funeral started...and I had to sing it...without music...and in the dark!

Another song that I really like is: "It's Not Good-bye, It's See You Later".  Justin's (grandson's) favorite song was: "I Can Only Imagine"...only he no longer has to imagine what he will do when he steps into the presence of the Lord...as he has already made it!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!  "Mr. Right" will come along...when you least expect to find him!  I know that is what happened to me.  I had given up hope of ever finding him...and suddenly...there he was...sent by God Himself.

Gotta go for now.  Have four days of work to catch up on.  I only returned to work yesterday.  I was not ready last week!

Everyone:  Thanks for all the prayers!

Love,

Jeanne