Let us pray for you!
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I have been discouraged about my health and weight for many years and have prayed much and tried many things too loose weight so I have been afraid to try LDL but I like what Mr. Wilson said in his book (Chapter 2) "If it doesn't work for you, simply go back to what you have been doing ..." I have been trying for some time already to eat healthier and have already eliminated white foods and of course only use skim milk and not much of it but I like it in my coffee and also fruit/fermented soy drink/smoothie (which I think is still okay to drink some if doing "Let's Do Lunch"). (I have been able to keep off 20 lbs with effort but of course need to loose much more then that - about 50 lbs.) I think I am ready to incorporate more changes and would like to ask for prayer that I can successfully do LDL. In the last years every time I have prayed and tried to very seriously loose weight there has been an emergency or something similar to distract me from it. Thank you and God Bless ....
greenheron

Re: New Member

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Bethann, and welcome!

I'd bet every one of us has faced the same thing:  "I'm going to lose some weight after the in-laws leave...after Christmas....after the company picnic....after my birthday...." Or, as you mention, something comes up and throws you off track.

One of the great things about LDL is that it's very easy to get right back on track!  Heck...I'll even admit I'm the poster child for jumping the track and getting back on!  I've lost about 30 pounds despite numerous detours.

But for now, what you need to do is read, get inspired, try a few recipes, make up your mind, and then DO IT!  If you like fruit, and popcorn, and soups, and beans, and chili, and corn, and salads, you'll love doing LDL.  You'll enjoy all your food, you'll feel better, and you'll be losing weight in the process.  What's not to love?

So, if you encounter one of those emergencies, do your best, don't sweat about food, and if you eat "off plan," just get back on when you can.  You know what's healthy.  You can always get advice and answers here on the board if you need them.  You're already making steps in the right direction.  Just take a few more steps! 

I'm not sure about your fruit/fermented soy smoothie product.  Is it something you make yourself, or a prepackaged drink?  Does it ferment with yeast?  In general, yeast isn't LDL friendly.  However, what you need to do is figure out your own plan, incorporating all the LDL foods that appeal to you, and if the smoothies don't slow your weight loss or cause cravings, you might be able to include them. 

However, you didn't ask for all that. ;)  You asked for prayers.  You'll get those, too.  I'll be praying for you, and I know you've been led to a place where you WILL have success.  Enjoy your journey!
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thank you, Greenheron,
I  very much appreciate your encouraging words and the prayers! This is my second day trying to do LDL and I think I'm doing okay, learning as I go, studying etc. I made refried beans yesterday and some lean hamburgers with beans etc.

Yes, those distractions of Christmas, company, in-laws (Wow! Are they good cooks and they love to feed us! :-) etc. That has been a big struggle and discouraging in the past. That is definitely good news that it isn't difficult to get back on the program! And yes I do love the foods that you mentioned! And I have always loved beans so that is bound to be a help to me!!! :-)

Just over 2 years ago I lost that 20 lbs that I have been struggling to keep off but the diet was put on hold because my Dad was sick and died 6 weeks later. My Mom who lives next door became more blind after this so it was a big adjustment for all of us plus this Spring she had to have a very major operation and I was her companion to fly out for this emergency etc. and so that was huge for awhile as she has needed lots of help but things are getting some what back to normal now. I am thankful I have been able to basically with a lot of work been able to keep the 20 lbs. off at least through all of this and hopefully things will be more consistent for awhile so I can have more time to work on myself. :-) (I am so thankful though I could be available to help my sweet Mom!)

If soy powder is okay on LDL then I think the drink is okay? -It is a healthy drink I make consisting of the recommended scoop of 100% Natural Soy Protein powder, Carbohydrate reduced formula, 4 grams fat, 17 grams protein, sweetened with Stevia and to that soy powder I add a 1/2 a cup of skim milk or some 99% fat free yogurt, a banana and frozen fruit and then blend it with my hand blender. I guess fermented soy is the healthiest way to have soy and fermented is the way it is usually eaten in the Orient. Right now I can't find the book that explained this to me but it is one of Lorna R. Vanderhaeghe's health books. I could try it without the milk or yogurt if need be but I think I am understanding that a little of no fat dairy is okay on the LDL?

Thanks again for the encouraging words and prayers! I need all the help and advise I can get!!!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi, Bethann and welcome to Let's Do Lunch!  I hope you love it here as much as I do.

I need to tell you Roger Troy discourages the use of protein powders of any kind because they are heavily processed and that is what we try to stay away from.  One of the LDL theories is that processed foods make you gain weight, but eating the same food in as close to its natural state as possible helps you lose weight.  I believe the reason for this is that processing takes away the work that your body wants to do when it digests its food.  So, in effect, you are ingesting more empty calories.  Concentrating and/or powdering ingredients multiplies those calories way beyond the amount you would be able to eat of the whole, fresh food.  I know the health food stores are big on sprouted & fermented seeds & grains, but if you think about it - what's more appealing and nutritious, a glass of fermented powdered soybeans, or a big bowl of luscious edamame?

Since you enjoy smoothies, I encourage you to start making them with 100% fresh fruit in different combinations.  If you want to bump up the protein content, try adding some cooked white beans to the blender and pureeing them very well.  You will be amazed at how thick and creamy this makes your smoothie without any dairy.  If you need a little liquid to get it started you can use a splash (2-3 Tbsp.) of apple or pineapple juice, or even the bean cooking liquid.

It's a good thing you love beans, because you will be getting PLENTY of them on Let's Do Lunch.  Try to think up creative ways of incorporating them into every single dish you prepare.  I make mine very bland and try to have several varieties prepared at all times, so I can doctor them up any way I want.  Pureeing them is a good way to hide them in dishes that you wouldn't normally think of as containing beans, like smoothies, sauces, meat patties, and "cream" soups.  You don't need dairy or thickeners because the creaminess of the blended beans makes the sauce.  It's amazingly delicious. 

Two great examples of this concept are Little Mary's Chicken & Sweetcorn Chowder http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... p=887#p887

and her New England Clam Chowder:  http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... 327#p42327

The stand-alone bean recipes are equally delicious, like her White Bean Soup:  http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... p=645#p645

While a little nonfat dairy (as little as possible) is okay on Let's Do Lunch, if you choose to have it, try not to hide it inside other dishes where you can't really appreciate it.  A small dollop of thick, rich, fat free Greek yogurt is a fantastic substitute for sour cream on top of your LDL Taco Soup!

Having endured a few challenges of my own the past few years, I truly feel your pain.  But I lost 100 pounds my first year on Let's Do Lunch and I'm confident you will lose all the weight you want to lose as well, if you do as Roger Troy says, and "KEEP ON KEEPING ON".

Loves & prayers to you sister.
Gwennaford
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
bamaluvr

Post by bamaluvr »

Hey Bethann,

Glad your joining us and welcome........I hope you come to love this way of eating(woe) I sure do. Just remember to read your book several times as to remember all the info in the book.......keep the book handy and refer back to it often. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. Somebody will have an answer. And please share your success with us often. 
    I will send up prayers for you.  Have a great day.  :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ZxQHp/]

May 12 Fibromyalgia Awareness Day
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Hi Bethann........just wanted to welcome you to the LDL family!.........You have been given some good advice and just know that we are all here if you need us.....this is a very loving and caring group of people with the same goal in sight......

Cookie
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Bethann,  I'm so amazed that you have been able to keep those 20 lbs. off with all that you've been through.  So sorry about your dad and the medical issues your mom has had.  Once you understand the concept of LDL, you are going to do great.  I felt like nothing worked for me anymore and I had just about given up.  I started LDL June 29th and have lost close to 25 lbs. now.  (I'm weighing myself on my birthday, Sept. 20th, so I'll post my newest weight on that day.)  It has been so easy to do, because the recipes are so satisfying.  The fruit and beans cut out my cravings for bad sweets and starches.  I really have no cravings and find this so simple to do because of this.

Welcome to LDL.  I have a feeling you are going to love it and will want to share it with everyone you know.  Watch!  Two months from now, you'll probably have lost 20 more lbs.  to add to the 20 lbs. you already lost.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies, advise and your prayers! It means more then I can say! I have felt alone in my battle for my health!
Love and prayers from Bethann
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, just know that you are not alone.  There are lots of people just like you wanting to be the best they can be.  You will find so many caring people on this site.  There are so many good recipes too.  I am enjoying cooking this new way and sharing with others.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Bethann, I hope you soon get a chance to read the Personal and Medical Success stories here on the boards.  I'm sure you will find many stories that will inspire and encourage you.

YOU CAN DO THIS ! ! !  And it will be the best experience of your life!

Your friend,

Gwennaford
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

I am really trying to do it! I have been real busy with my Mom this week and home educating my youngest son but I think I have done okay. One of the things I noticed that even in this short time when with confronted with chocolate I was able to resist it! Now that is amazing for me!! :-)

Congratulations Gwennaford on the 100 lbs. That is so inspirational! I will try those soup recipes! I love soup! :-) It seems like a lot to learn but I will keep trying! Thankyou!

I do enjoy my fruit drinks so I will try them without the soy etc.

Thank you for the advise Greenheron and congratulations on your weight loss! Also inspirational! It has been difficult for me not to detour when trying to loose weight in the past especially when we visit my wonderful in-laws.

Crickadoodle your post really touched me! (It has been a difficult 2 years.) I am amazed though that you have lost that much weight in such a short amount of time!

Again, thanks for posting everyone!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Bethann, I have never had the success I've had on LDL on any other eating plan.  I still can't believe it.  At my age, it just has been so hard to lose weight, but this plan works amazingly.  I feel great too.  I can't wait to hear how it goes for you over the next few months.  Also, the journey along the way isn't so bad.  I don't feel deprived and the food is delicious.  We have to eat anyway, we might as well enjoy it.  :D
dinker

Post by dinker »

I am just getting ready to start the program.  Going to the store tonight with grocery list in hand.  I am praying that this works.  I HAVE to loose weight to save my marriage.  I know there are people in this world and in this group that need prayers for much more serious things.  But I am selfishly asking for the prayers to succeed.  Also, my step son just left Sunday for yet another stint in Iraq with the US Army.  Please keep him and his family in your prayers.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVNzKsO/]
Image"Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies."
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Dkneram, If you follow what is in the book and the excellent posts from members you WILL lose weight AND feel wonderful after a short time!  Your cravings for sweets will vanish with eating all the fruit.  Ignore your husband  *evil* if he notices that you are eating a lot.  Your job is to eat all the fruits, beans and vegetables it takes to fill you up.  I've only been on LDL for 2 weeks and I'm amazed!  I will pray for you and your step son with his stint in Iraq. 

Also, keep posting your questions and concerns on this board.  Someone will answer them.  they are a great bunch of people and we have all been through what you are going through.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Dear Dkneram, :rose:
You can know for sure that you are in my prayers! You are definitely not being selfish to ask for prayer! This is God's heart! He is just waiting for us to ask Him! He is a gentleman and does not force His help on us. God loves you so much that He died for you! I know His desire is to help us in our marriages. He wants us to be successful! Also He wants you to be slim and healthy. I have seen God answer prayers for my marriage. Also I will pray for your step son and the family!

I haven't been doing the LDL program for very long but I believe that God has led me to it! I have been praying for years about my health and my weight. So far LDL has not been difficult to follow.  *love* That is one of the things I have been praying about because other "diets" were so much work that I couldn't keep up with them. I see with this program that there is some changes I need to make with the recipes I use and food I buy etc. but this is good for me and my family.  :) I have known that I needed to make some changes in our diet but I wasn't sure how and I appreciate the helpful directions I can focus on through LDL and Roger's book/recipes and I appreciate the support here in the LDL Community.

It's encouraging also that others on this program have struggled in the past as well but are having success with LDL! God makes a way when there is no way! He has plans and thoughts to help us that we don't know about. For me LDL is one of them! A definite answer to prayer!

We are both on the newer side but we can do it as others have before us! And we can encourage each other also! :)
Welcome aboard, Dkneram!

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing! Okay?

With love and prayers from Bethann  :rose:
Last edited by Bethann on October 20th, 2009, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

dkneram wrote: I HAVE to lose weight to save my marriage.  

Also, my step son just left Sunday for yet another stint in Iraq with the US Army.  Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

i had read that you wrote this, about losing weight to save your marriage.........but, amend it.......do it for YOURSELF......and let a side effect of what you do for YOURSELF help your marriage...

i pray for our soldiers every day....please give me your stepson's name so i can pray more effectively.....ANYONE else who has a family member in the armed forces(especially if they're in the mideast)please give me their name also....they stand in the gap for my freedom...the LEAST i can do is support them in prayer...my church had put together a care package to send to soldiers in iraq...i have to talk to them about doing that again.....niki    
Last edited by niki on October 20th, 2009, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..