things have only gotten worse

Let us pray for you!
erica

things have only gotten worse

Post by erica »

I posted a request a few weeks ago about a family dispute... and i'm sad to say, it hasn't gotten better -- just worse.

I really am not part of many online communities, and i don't really know where to go... but, my one question is why are some people so mean, vindictive and hateful??? Esp. if they profess Christianity? I am so sad about it - I'm not sure who to trust when they claim to be christians -

I have an uncle who is just absurd - he is mean and hateful, he calls names and is just down right vindictive. And he is making life miserable for everyone in our small, but tight knit family.

What should I do?

thanks so much.
erica anderson
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: things have only gotten worse

Post by CodingQueen »

erica,

It sounds like your uncle is suffering from depression which is actually anger turned inward. And I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "Misery loves company." Unfortunately, until he admits that there is a problem he's not going to seek help. All you can do is pray to God to change his heart.

Also, how old is your uncle? Sometimes degenerative brain disorders in the elderly can cause them to be mean.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 14th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Hi Erica,

It sounds like an opportunity for those involved to get more grace from the Lord by being humble, despite this uncle's wrongs. 

Your purpose in life is not to fix your uncle but to find joy in glorifying the God who made you and sent His son to die for your sins.  And, because He forgave us when we were yet sinners, we should forgive (even the unworthy and vindictive...actually especially the unworthy and vindictive)...one of the things that sets Christians apart.  If we are busy serving our all knowing, all loving, incredible Lord, then all the other stuff won't matter so much.  He has a purpose for this situation in your life.  Trusting Him and finding joy in glorifying Him through it can only come through faith, which is a gift from Him.

I will pray for you and the situation.  Also, I would suggest your reading the gospel of John from the Bible and a book called Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper.

Trusting Jesus (you can trust Him),
Julie
erica

Post by erica »

thank you, guys, so much. it helps.

to answer your question: my uncle is, i think in his late 60s. anyways, thanks.

i will read your suggested texts: i appreciate your thoughts

erica *
Cami
New, but learning

Post by Cami »

Erica, I agree with Julie.  Love the sinner hate the sin.  But like Julie said, just stay focused on God. 
Cami :)

Phillipians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Julie, you gave such a moving response.  John Piper is a good author.  God's grace covers a multitude of sins.  Wendy, I'm praying for you.  My family needs prayer. Our son has been in hospital the last two days.  Tests are to be done this week.  We hope it's his Gaul Bladder instead of his heart.  He is only 47. We work with him, so we will be picking up the slack.  He is a Christian, and knows God is the great Healer. His daughter is a nurse in another hospital, and she works in heart cath section.  My brother who is 83 got tangled up in briars and stumbled with a chain saw in his hand.  It hit his forehead, and then he hit into a tree.  When his daughter called me, she thought he was hurt bad. He got on his four wheeler and came back to the house.  We are so grateful that he is OK-only 28 stitches.  He lost a whole lot of blood.  He is such a handsome man, and I know it's going to scar badly.  He loves the Lord, and knows He is in control.  His sons and daughter live close to him so he will have good care. Joyful Friend