My husband is in the hospital

Let us pray for you!
KathyPrulhiere

My husband is in the hospital

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Please pray for my 74 year old husband. He has been in the hospital for several days with pneumonia and a blood bacteria. The main concern right now is that the bacteria may have lodged in his heart and they are doing a test to check that very soon. If they find this blood bacteria in his heart it is very serious. We both believe in God's healing power through Jesus' blood. Please add your prayers to ours for complete healing. Thanks :rose:

Kathy
Mary J
Master Member

Re: My husband is in the hospital

Post by Mary J »

Kathy,

So very sorry to hear about your husband.. Prayers being sent your way... Please keep us posted.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

We are praying in agreement with you for your husband to be completely healed - by His stripes
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

You and your husband are both in my prayers.

Blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I too will stand in agreement with you for his complete healing.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Kathy my prayers are going up for your husband also....we know that God can do all things, and there is nothing too big or too small for him.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Oh, Kathy, your husband too.  I just read about Ollie's husband.  Well, God can heal them both!  We all stand in agreement for him to be healed and the Great Physician will touch his body and raise him up off his sick bed.
ZsaZsa

Post by ZsaZsa »

Thank You Jesus for this wonderful healing You are doing in this mans life...AMEN!!!!!!!
KathyPrulhiere

Re: My husband is in the hospital, Update

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Hey LDL family,

I talked to the doctor this morning. They [b]did
indeed find something hanging on my husband's heart valve.

They feel it is linked to the prostate surgery he had before Thanksgiving. He had been hospitalized the end of December for a blood bacteria and the feeling is that a small amount of it lodged in his heart even after his blood had been cleared. After a time it grew big enough to cause symptoms. So all the symptoms including the pneumonia are the result of this tricky bacteria.

The plan is to spend 6 weeks in hospital  :thumbdown: with heavy hitting antibiotics given intravenously. That will take care of the pneumonia, the blood and ferret out any bacteria trying to grow in any other organ.  :thumbsup:

I am grateful they have been able to identify and treat. Thank you for your prayers. I can feel the support of them as I go about my day.

Blessings to all of you,

Kathy[/b]
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Kathy, just read the posts, so I too will be praying for both of you.  Glad they have found the reason.  *love* and prayers, JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I had a dear friend and coworker who developed an abcess in her cervical spine. She had to be hospitalized for 6 weeks of around-the clock triple antibiotic therapy. She was diabetic but the antibiotics really messed up her appetite and tastes. She said the only thing that tasted good to her was ramen noodles and popcorn. Everything else was tasteless and she just would not eat it. I have since observed this in other patients. Just wanted you to be aware of it in case he starts craving something and will not eat anything else. This was before I had ever heard about probiotics. Since they are a supplement and not a 'Medication" they are not usually prescribed or administered in the hospital. I would stronly urge you to ask his doctor for permission to purchase and administer probiotics to him since these high-powered antibiotics will also sterilize his GI tract and he will need the good bacteria restored. While you are at it, I would ask if you could give hime some therapeutic (large) doses of Vitamin C and D3 also. This will help boost his immune system.

Blessings and Healing to you and your DH
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Kathy- I am sorry that your husband and you are experiencing such a trying time.  I pray that he will get better each day until his health is restored.  Pam
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Kathy, I'm praying for your husband to make a speedy recovery after having to endure so much.

By the way, is MRSA or some other form of staphylococcus this tricky bacteria?

CQ
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Thanks everyone for your support.

LindaRN thanks for your input. I'm already smuggling garlic capsules in and Vit D3.  :tongue: I figure they don't need to know everything! I am hard-pressed to figure how the probiotic will help until he is off those highpowered antibiotics. It seems counter-productive to try to help that right now. If you have advice, I would be glad to hear it.

Coding Queen, the bacteria is called something nasty like "...fecalis". Don't remember the rest of it. I heard that it is a common bacteria that is in the air all around us. Using a catheter is often the source of entry into the body through the bladder. My husband had to self-cautherize after the surgery (as well as wear a leg bag while he was cauterized prior to the prostate surgery.) This is especially difficult for us since we are always so healthy and eat well. Neither of us are taking prescription drugs for anything. I'm a firm believer in God's provision with herbs etc.

One good thing is coming from this, I'm starting to lose a little more weight. Don't hang around the kitchen nearly so much. :laughing:

Kathy
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Kathy,

Your husband has streptococcus faecalis (also known as Strep D). It's one of the causes of pyelonephritis (kidney infection) and other urinary tract infections....bladder, urethra, ureter. Streptococcus faecalis sepsis (bacteria in the blood) is what caused him to have endocarditis (infection of the heart valve) but I haven't figured out how it caused the pneumonia. Usually it's the other way around. The bacterial pneumonia or other localized infections (like a Urinary Tract Infection) usually cause sepsis because of not being treated in a timely manner or because of being resistant to the drugs used.

Oh well, at least the docs are on top of things now and will take good care of him.

*hug*
CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 21st, 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Is that possibly the same thing my nephew had a few months ago, CQ?  It kinda sounds familiar.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Is it C-difficile infection?
Maybe CQ has more info on the probiotics. You may be right, but 6 weeks seems like a long time. If you can get him to take some Keifer or Yogurt off and on, it may help and do the probiotics when he is through. Hopefully he may be able to go home at some point and continue the IV through home health? I am sure they want to monitor his heart until they are sure it is gone.
Blessings to you on this journey,
Linda

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

crickadoodle,

When you first told everyone that your nephew was in the hospital and why, that was the first thing that came to my mind. I didn't want to say too much because I knew how dangerous it was and didn't want to scare you. But, I'm pretty sure that's what he had. Thank God he didn't need a heart transplant or a valve replacement. But, he may need a valve replacement later down the road when he gets older. It just depends on how much damage occurred and how much plaque builds up over the years. Hopefully, that won't be necessary.

LINDA RN,

It really depends on what drug they're using to treat his Strep D. He obviously has VRE so Vancomycin and other drugs like it will not work. They will have to use something stronger. Xigris ($8,000.00 + a vial) and others like it are the drug of choice these days that will knock out everything but they are usually the last resort due to the price. I wouldn't worry about probiotics until he's completed the IV ABX treatment. It would be a waste of money. As far as the C. Diff is concerned...he may eventually develop it from the ABX and Flagyl will be started to take care of that problem.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

You are on the right track. Will keep you both in my prayers  Karen