Mom -- another surgery!

Let us pray for you!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Mom -- another surgery!

Post by crickadoodle »

We have had such difficulty with Mom's ostomy and now she is developing sores around the stoma.  Well, that makes it even more difficult to get the pouches to stick.  The doctor is wanting to switch the ostomy to the other side and make it into a colostomy again.  Hopefully this is successful and we no longer have these pouching problems.  I've been to tears over it all today, because this one sore is growing in size and it hurts her when I have to pack it with anti-microbial cloth like stuff.  The ostomy nurse said that it sounds like I'm doing everything right, but I've felt so horrible about it all. 

So, pleeeassse, keep us in prayer.  The doctor will get back to me later in the week after he has gone over all the information about her previous surgeries.  He is a different doctor in the New Orleans area.  He did a surgery last year on her.  Poor lady has had way too many surgeries in the past 1 1/2 years.  Also, it is harder when the surgery is farther from home. 
leisuregranny

Re: Mom -- another surgery!

Post by leisuregranny »

Rhonda, will definitely keep your mom in prayer.
IF WE MEET AND YOU FORGET ME, YOU HAVE LOST NOTHING. 
BUT, IF YOU MEET JESUS AND FORGET HIM, YOU HAVE LOST EVERYTHING!

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I pray that the upcoming surgery will allow your mother (and you) to have a better quality of life.  I have no doubt that you are doing everything humanly possible to make her situation better.  Pam
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

A colostomy will be so much better for both of you. Make sure she is taking her probiotics and vitamin D3 daily before the surgery. I had read that those 2 would prevent alot of complications from any type of bowel surgery. Praying the surgery goes well for her and she wakes up rested well and with a renewed mind.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crick, I felt your pain.  Mothers are wonderful, but I know how tiring  it can be.  I am praying for both of you.  *love* and  *hug* Joyful Friend
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Thinking about you and your Mom.. prayers heading up!
Hugs!
Kathie in Fl
[
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

thanks all!  And Linda, we do take those, but I'll make sure she continues and doesn't skip.  Thanks!
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Hey Crick,

So good to see a picture of you at last! And wow--down 50 pounds. You are an inspiration. *love*

Will be praying for the doctors to be led by the Great Physician and make all the right choices for your mom. Keep us posted.

Blessings,
Kathy
ZsaZsa

Post by ZsaZsa »

Prayers going up!!!!!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I haven't heard from the doctor again about the surgery and will call him tomorrow, if he doesn't call by then.  He said the end of the week, tomorrow is Friday. 

I took Mom to the local hospital to see the ostomy nurse yesterday.  She used a new thing -- a convex ring.  Well, this bag stayed attached for 24 hours!  Woo Hoo!  *woot*  This is the kind of thing that makes me really excited in this phase of my life!  :D I got more sleep last night, but I did wake up often to check on that bag.  I was concerned it wouldn't hold, since I was used to changing them every 5 hours!  Well, I did it today and hopefully mine will last at least 24 hours too! 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I am praying for your sweet mom and you.  *love* and prayers, JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, I got the smaller convex rings than the one the nurse used.  We thought it'd be more the right size, but so far I've done it three times today and it hasn't stuck the first too.  Well, the last time I pulled on the ring to make it bigger.  I'd done that before, but this last time I didn't hold back and hopefully that'll do the trick.  If it doesn't work, I'm going back tomorrow to get the bigger rings.  Oh, please let me get a good night's sleep.  Mom and I both are pretty frustrated with this.  Thanks for all the prayers.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

We went to the doctor yesterday and the surgery is set for May 25th.  She'll be in the hospital for at least a week.  A couple of things are falling during that time that we'd like to attend, so at least we won't have to hire a sitter during that time.  I've learned to use those times for a bit of a break for my husband and me -- make good use of a bad situation.  We are really tied down to our home while caring for her.  My brother is going to come in from Alabama to be here for the surgery, which will be nice to have some extra support. 

Anyway, I'm going to get Mom a new primary care doctor at this hospital, since I can't get a doctor in our hometown to take a new medicare patient.  The doctor we've been seeing is in the next town and really has so many patients, although he's taken time with us.  This city is a little farther, but not all that much farther, and I'm hoping for a better situation with the new doctor.  The current doctor just prescribes medicine way too much and a few meds had side effects I wasn't willing to risk on Mom.  I'm hoping the new doctor will understand and work with us on more natural ways.  She is a resident, so wouldn't be "set" in her ways yet and maybe we'll be a blessing as she is getting established. 

Please pray we have great succes with the new doctor and the new surgery.  I'm thinking it will improve and life won't be quite so stressful.  I had to get up to change Mom's bag at 3 AM and didn't get back to bed until after 4 and had trouble falling back asleep.  It's hard to do a good job on that thing when I'm so sleepy, so I took my time to do it right.  Hopefully this one lasts a long time.
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Crick,
How I wish that my children would want to care for me as kindly and with such commitment as you have shown your mom, if I needed them the way your mom needs you. I'm sure the Lord's reward for you is great for honoring your mom in this way. *love*

My prayers are with you both. Try not to be so hard on yourself--and I see such wisdom in making sure you try to take special time for your family when you can. Good for you.

Blessings,

Kathy
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Oh, when I'm sleepy, at 3 AM, I'm not always so kind.  You do what you have to do, day by day, moment by moment.  God gives grace.  I'm so glad I am able to care for her, though. 

Seeing Mom and hearing all the health care stuff in the news and all have just strengthened my resolve to take very good care of myself.  We need to strengthen our muscles and stay fit and healthy, because we don't want to depend on the government or health care system to care for us, do we?
ZsaZsa

Post by ZsaZsa »

Prayers for your mom and for you!!
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

praying for you both, you are a wonderful daughter
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I am praying for all of you.
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Well, I believe it's time we all quit thinking doctors are God. The whole drug and doctor thing has gotten clear out of control. Take the best care we can, use the doctors and drugs with some wisdom and don't plan on living forever. My prayers are with you. Taking care of my husband through all this mess we've been going through has shown me how poor my patience and kindness can be. So we, you and I, need to realize we are only human and just do the best we can while relying on The Great Physician. Hang in there, Crick. I'm rooting for you and "mom".

Blessings,
Kathy
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, all! 
Thanks, Kathy.  I know I can only do what I can do.  I am all about doing what I can to take care of myself so I never feel dependent on doctors or govt. health programs for sure.  Am dependent on the Great Physician, though.  :thumbsup: