Mom -- another surgery!

Let us pray for you!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: Mom -- another surgery!

Post by crickadoodle »

OK, they couldn't do the surgery as planned, because Mom's blood wasn't clotting right and the surgeon didn't want to risk her bleeding too much.  So, instead he made her stoma longer in the same position it was in and cauterized the sore that had developed.  Yesterday, the ostomy nurse told me it looked great and she thought we should have no problem with pouching it for a week at a time.  Oh, that is my hope for sure. 

Only bad thing is good and bad -- well, Mom could be coming home earlier than the surgeon originally stated, because the surgery wasn't so invasive.  That is a good thing, of course, except that I reserved a hotel room for two nights in N.O. during the time she was supposed to be in the hospital, but now will likely be home.  It was going to give my husband and I a little vacation, while being close enough, in case Mom needed us.  Not sure what to do about it, but I will talk to someone at the hospital today to see what their plans are for her. 

Thanks to everyone who prayed for her.  She is doing well.  One strange thing that happened though, was when I saw her after surgery (oh, a very long time in recovery -- 5 hours!) she told me that she had stomach cancer.  Now, this is not so.  From what I could gather, she overheard someone talking about someone else with stomach cancer and thought they were talking about her.  At first I could tell she thought I just didn't want her to know the truth, so I was keeping it from her.  I told her that there was no way the doctor would have found that out from the type of surgery he was doing anyway.  He didn't go into her body, but worked from the outside.  Her grandmother died of stomach cancer and I remember hearing her say that she thought she'd die of cancer -- back over 30 yrs. ago. 

I don't know why people say things like that, but it is so negative and there is no way to know this.  On the other hand, my dad always thought he'd live into his 90s, because longevity ran in his family, and he died at 67 of pancreatic cancer!    My sister died at 60 in a car accident and spent so much time worrying about the retirement she never made it to.  I say, live each day with gratitude to God for the day ahead of you.  Don't take things for granted, but don't worry about things you can do nothing about.  I love and live by the scripture that says, "Do not fret.  It only causes harm."  (Of course, my husband has to fret quite often, because he builds guitars and that is part of the guitar building process!  :laughing:  He frets the necks -- the metal strips down the neck are the frets!)

So, thanks to everyone for praying.  I'll let you know when she comes home.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Crick
I am so glad they were able to help your mom without having to do so much.
My brother in law at times needs help with mom so he can have a break.  In the small town they live in they have a part of the hospital that  takes in respite care patients for such cases.  He has at times been able to be gone as long as a week with her medicare and insurance covering it.  Your hospital should be able to tell you what all types of programs are available.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, I asked the case worker nurse a little while ago and she found some homes that take in patients like this.  I need to find the cost.  I'm also seeing if I can get some friends and family to do some shifts in our home so we can take that planned break away.  I'm thinking it might still be doable.  It'd be expensive to do a sitter the whole time -- $400!  So, I have one friend willing to come from 8PM Mon. to 12 NOON Tues.  I'm seeing if I can get a few others and then any time I can't get, I'll hire the sitter.  That is a doable little vacation.  Mom should be handling most of her needs by Sunday.

Oh, I forgot to say that they are discharging her today.  That's why I'm thinking that by Sunday she'll be pretty self sufficient and would just need someone here for feeding her and making sure she took her medicines at the right time.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crick, So glad all went well with your Mom, and that you and your hubby can go on a honeymoon.  *evil*  :laughing:  When I had my mom, my siblings helped me when I needed to get away; however, most major decisions were on me.  I agree with you about living every day to the fullest for we don't know what the future holds, but we know the Future Provider.  It is hot in the Ohio Valley, and a beautiful holiday weekend ahead.  There are a lot of graduation parties to attend.  School is out tomorrow.  Lou Ann and I are going to the mall  in Huntington W Va. for some shopping fun and celebrating.  We'll meet her daughter for dinner.  I hope all have a beautiful long weekend.  *love* and  *hug* Joyful Friend
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Crick,
So glad things are working out. Praise God. I'll be praying that all the pieces fall together so you can do your get away.

Blessings,

Kathy
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

crickadoodle wrote:I'm also seeing if I can get some friends and family to do some shifts in our home so we can take that planned break away.  I'm thinking it might still be doable. 

Special time away with your husband is something you need to do for yourself.  I hope all your plans work out for you.  Also, I'm hoping that your mom will be more comfortable now with the surgery to make the stoma longer in the same position it was in and cautering the sore that had developed.  Hopefully, this will take care of not having all the trouble you have been having with changing the pouch, etc.
ZsaZsa

Post by ZsaZsa »

Thank the Lord...praying that everything goes as planned with the pouching. God Bless you!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

So far, the last pouch has lasted 2 1/2 days.  It still looks good.  Also, I have all the time slots filled, except from 6-9 PM on Sunday night, so we can do our little get away.  I'm sure something will work out for that time too.  I'm so thankful people are willing to help out.  I'll just need the sitter for a part of the time and it'll just cost about $100, instead of $400!  That is doable.  I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the prayers.  Mom is doing well and pretty much does what she did before the surgery. 
ZsaZsa

Post by ZsaZsa »

Glad to hear it!!!! AMEN!!!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Mom's ostomy appliance lasted one whole week, but then the same kind lasted one day and then another one just like it lasted a day again!  Just when I think we've got it figured out, still not quite!  So, yesterday, we had a doctor's appt. and also got to see the ostomy nurse.  This hospital actually has 3 ostomy nurses, and I think everyone knows something a little different from the others so you get new ideas when you see a new one.  Well, that happened yesterday, I think.  This nurse had an idea that a certain product could be just what we needed.  Mom is 84 and her skin on her belly is kinda wrinkly -- especially when she sits up.  The ostomy bags weren't stayed adhered to her skin, partly because of the wrinkles.  There is one this nurse decided to try that is very thin and just adheres to the skin and wrinkles with the skin.  So far (one day into wearing it) it looks perfect.  She gave me an extra one and asked the company who makes them to send me some samples.  I'm really thinking this one might just do it.  I think I've learned so much dealing with this.