Craving friend chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Fit&fine
New, but learning

Craving friend chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy

Post by Fit&fine »

I am craving KFC's original fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy. Is there anything I can do to satisfy my cravings. I drove home from work really fast to keep from going through the drive through that is so conveniently near my home.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGjye6x/]
[/url]
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: Craving friend chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I have taken popcorn flour and seasoned it.  I then wet the chicken breast and roll it.  I have also rolled chicken in egg first.  I have fried it in oil or even baked it and both were good.  I also make bite sized chicken so it is more like chicken strips or popcorn chicken.
I mix cauliflower and white beans together  and seasoning.  I have fried it like fried potato patty by adding corn and onion.  
I make gravy by sauting onion and garlic and adding chicken broth and seasoning.  I run it through the blender and that thickens it some.  I then put on the stove and add a small amount of corn starch to thicken more if I feel it needs it.

I hope this helps.  I get hungry sometimes for mashed potato and this takes care of it.

Here is the potato recipe:

Mashed Potato

2 cans great northern beans
1 head cauliflower
3 Tbs ICBINB
GARLIC OR FLAVORING SEASOING
salt & pepper to taste

Cut cauliflower florets into a pan with lid.  cook until tender and puree
Puree drained beans and add butter and spices in a bowl
Last edited by wendysgoodnews on January 3rd, 2011, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Wendygoodnews, you are simply amazing!  I love seeing what and how you eat, let alone your awesome creations. You really inspire me on my LDL journey!  :thumbsup:
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

KFC is my quick meal.  I usually buy mostly white meat chicken breasts, and skin the heavy breading off, and enjoy.  I sometimes eat three. I also eat the Cole slaw and the green beans.  Just as Roger said, eat, eat, eat LDL foods.  Wendy always gives us good recipes.  :D  JF
Fit&fine
New, but learning

Post by Fit&fine »

This is really great information. Thank guys. That was close.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGjye6x/]
[/url]
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Please remember that when we eat out that not all the sides are LDL friendly. The following is the KFC cole slaw recipe posted by a former employee....CQ

Ingredients:

4 1/2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar OR 4 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon (the latter is what my uncle uses when tarragon vinegar isn't in the cupboard)
6 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 cups Miracle Whip
1 cup sugar
2 carrots
2 heads cabbage
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The one cup sugar with 2 heads cabbage may not seem like alot in just a serving, but the Miracle Whip is loaded with corn syrup. At goal, some may be able to handle this, but starting out, that much sugar may start (or continue) the cravings. If it doesn't affect the cravings, I suppose it would be a better choice than french fries. It would be nice if they would let you put just vinegar and oil on it instead of the slaw dressing but I bet they make it all in big batches.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

CQ, I thought the same, because on WW, one serving counted for 4 points a long time ago. Yet,  I still used it, and I probably ate 1/2 of the pint.  I drained it really well.  Roger wrote that bean salad from a deli was a good quick meal, if drained well.  I did the same with the cole slaw, and my cravings nor weight were bothered.  I usually make my cole slaw, but in a pinch, it worked for me.  Thanks for the added info, because I really don't want to lead any newbie astray.  :D  JF
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

The other thing that KFC does to there chicken is inject beef lard and msg into the chicken.  It is suppost to make it juicier but all they are doing is making it fatter.  I stay away from KFC when ever possible.  My last trip at our KFC they took away the corn.  That is what I ate if my DH want KFC.  Most fast food places are not healthy and you have to watch the salads also.
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks for  the info.  I have never eaten KF mashed potatoes, nor the gravy, only the skinned chicken breast, Cole slaw, and green beans.  I have lost well and never got any cravings.  I will continue to do that in a pinch.  As for Ihop, McDonalds, Burger King and other  fast food eating places, I have no desire to go there very often.  I like Mac's coffee.  We need to do most of our cooking which I do most of the time; however, I sometimes have no time.  The more we know about how our foods are fixed, the more I want to definitely try to keep things frozen and meals prepared.  :D  JF 
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I want to add my 2 cents here because I used to suffer terribly with this same craving.  First of all congrats on passing KFC up!  YAY!  Second, I will share something with you that really helped me.

If you will go to the store and buy some cans of the large butter beans.....the brown ones....and buy some chicken stock or chicken boulion you can make them taste very similar to the mashed potatoes at KFC.

Drain them and rinse them.  Then cook them in water with the broth or boulion.  Put them in your magic bullet and add some of the water to them.  It make take a couple of tries to get them as thick as you like, but you'll get there.  Now do the same thing again only add more water to make a gravy.  You will be amazed at the flavor and texture and how satisfying it is.  I buy the rotisserie chickens when they are on sale because I just can't beat the price.  Strip all of the skin off and eat it all. (not at one sitting though.  :laughing:  ) I know the dark meat is higher in fat than the breast meat, and yes it slows me down a bit, but everyone has to do what they have to do.  I figure it's better than eating pizza or real KFC.  Put the gravy over the chicken and feel the joy!  LOL  You can eat this guilt free and I guarantee it will kill the KFC craving.  

Blessed and loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Joyful Friend »

Each person has to tweet what they think works for them.  I have not gone off LDL since August of 2009 without cheating, and I am at goal.  I have maintained since August of 2010.  It is unbelievable how I feel satisfied and am so much healthier.  I did what Roger Troy Wilson said to do.  I found a quick meal that worked without starting cravings and without causing weight gain.  I skin the chicken breasts completely.  If it's bad, so be it.  If we watched what goes into the rotisserie chicken, we may be surprised.  I don't need potatoes to be satisfied, so doing without  a substitute for them doesn't bother me, although, I like Bill's mashed potatoes which is LM's recipe.  I especially like the bean cakes I make from the left overs.  Jicama is also good fried with onions.  They are similar to hash browns, but better.  I also get a kick out of some of the ideas on here.  Hopping on and off the train just baffles my mind.  If one is satisfied with LDL foods and wants a smaller body that is much healthier, why jump off the train, when it could cause you to stumble around in getting back on!!!  I guess we all need a good  :laughing:  every now and then.  :D  JF