"Chip'ins" by Popcorn Indiana - Is this new product LDL Legal??!! Oh please!

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
yw82bthin

"Chip'ins" by Popcorn Indiana - Is this new product LDL Legal??!! Oh please!

Post by yw82bthin »

Just discovered this new product in my local Wal-Mart called Chip'ins (All Natural Popcorn Chips).  The Sea Salt flavor lists ingredients as "Corn, Sunflower Oil, and Sea Salt) which are the same ingredients as Corn Thins. 

They look like thin, triangular shaped Corn Thins, but they are crispier, more like a chip.  The fat content is higher, which I'm guessing is why they are crispier.  They are deelicious!!

What is the verdict food police? Can we have these in the LDL WOE?  Even occasionally would be a great treat!!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: "Chip'ins" by Popcorn Indiana - Is this new product LDL Legal??!! Oh please!

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm thinking it's a "no" because although it is made with popcorn, it isn't unprocessed.  It is most likely fried in oil, which is why you find it so delicious!  ;)
yw82bthin

Re: "Chip'ins" by Popcorn Indiana - Is this new product LDL Legal??!! Oh please!

Post by yw82bthin »

crickadoodle wrote:I'm thinking it's a "no" because although it is made with popcorn, it isn't unprocessed.  It is most likely fried in oil, which is why you find it so delicious!   ;)

Hi Crickadoodle - Thanks for a prompt response!  Can you help me to understand exactly what "processed" means then?  The Chip'ins have the exact same ingredients as LDL approved Plain Corn Thins.  Since Corn Thins must have to go through some manner of "processing" to make them tightly compressed and round, why would Chip'ins be considered "processed" when they just appear to be compressed thinner and triangular?  Sunflower oil is used in both Corn Thins and these new Chip'ins.  Thanks for any explanation you can provide to help me understand!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I am guessing that the fat grams are much higher in the WalMart product.  My understanding is that the only fat used in the corn thins is a small amount to keep the corn from sticking to the molds when the corn is popped into them.  Their website explains the process.  Pam