Are figs legal?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
JerrieH

Re: Are figs legal?

Post by JerrieH »

Linda - I hope if you and your husband try the date/pecan combo, you'll like it.  It is really good.  I haven't had them since I started LDL, but I have had a jar of dates in my kitchen cabinet for a long time, and every once in a great while I eat one.

Wither, the softest dates I have found are the Medjool dates they sell at Schnucks with the tongs that you bag yourself.  It seems like when I have gotten other brands in the past that are stored it plastic containers, they are kinda stale.

Jerrie  :)
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

They grow dates here so that's not the case. I can see that would be bad.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I think that is the kind I have been getting at the Health Food Center.
Got a delish container of dates at Sam's several months ago that started us on dates.
They were very good also.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, I think dates are probably no higher in sugar than other dried fruits, including raisins -- or close to them, anyway.  One thing about raisins and dates, you really can't eat too many of them.  They are so sweet, you just wouldn't overeat them, I think.  At least I wouldn't.  

Figs that aren't dried are similar to other fruits, I'd think.  They might be a little higher in calories than some fruits, but I wouldn't think too much.  They aren't available very often, so it probably couldn't be much of a problem even if you wanted them to be.  ;)
Last edited by crickadoodle on May 27th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I think your date/pecan is going to be a good dessert.  Thanks. I ate figs on the boat every morning, and yet, I lost 3#  I love them.  I also like treats, so these are good ideas.  *hug* :thumbsup:  JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Absolutely, Roger.
Our discussion of the dates and figs was a substitute for Pecan Pie around the holidays.
If you are really wanting something sweet after dinner, a date with a half pecan pushed inside would make a tasty desert and much better than even a bite of a pie!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Roger -- Kinda like in the book when it says to make the least fattening choice that gives you the flavor you're look for.  A date with 1/2 a pecan inside sounds like a very good choice when compared to a piece of pie, like Linda said.
darphillips

Post by darphillips »

I'm new to LDL  and I love figs, but only the fresh and I'm so lucky to have a fig tree this is its 3rd year since I planted it, last year it had a few figs this year its loaded down with them.  So are they okay to eat right off the tree?

dar...
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

As Roger said, Dar, he never ate figs or dates while loosing weight.
Being a fresh fruit is is "legal" as far as LDL goes.
You will just have to monitor your weight as you eat them.
Some have found certain fruits will stall them such as bananas.
You will just have to see how they affect you in particular.
If you continue to loose and they satify you and not cause any cravings then  :thumbsup:
Linda

darphillips

Post by darphillips »

Thanks Linda I can hardly wait till they ripen and see what happens.  The birds will most likely eat more than me.  I like sharing

dar...