chickpea flour discovery

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
bingo

Re: chickpea flour discovery

Post by bingo »

Hi Zesti, Thanks for your information on how to make gravy,,, it seems like I need a recipe for it to turn out right,, my mom just through things together and made a masterpiece, and daughter is just like her, Me, just the opposite :D .... But there are so many award-winning recipes here that I can have excellent results every time !! and as soon as I find pickling cukes and, zuc , I Have to try these... by the way, Get a wide brimmed hat for the summer anyway,,,, Now you have me in the mood to get one too , with my "mint moctail " :ymblushing: ... Have fun !!!
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I never thought to use the liquid smoke. I am going to try that too! BACON! who doesn't like the flavor of bacon B-)
I am terrible with a recipe but I am trying. I have been making gravy since I could reach the top of the stove. Dad always had to have it at every meal. NO ENVELOPES of stuff either..So we couldn't "cheat". Never to this day, have I ever like it out of a can or jar. Just my preference...just a little story...We went over to friends for Thanksgiving one year. My first time of meeting all of her family. She told me I was going to make gravy and asked what I needed..Sure I said..be glad to. I only need flour..I hear "Tom is ready in the kitchen" as I was walking to the kitchen, her Mom had the bird on a plate already and started washing the roaster..OH NO!..as gently as I could.."what are you doing? " I am cleaning scrubbing off all that stuff on the bottom so you have a clean pot!! I didn't know that everyone one didn't know, that this is where all the flavor is and how what you make gravy from..This is before Food TV..
To late, all the liquid gold was gone..So hubby had to run to the store to get chicken broth. I took that clean pan with the wings of the bird and put all that "stuff" back on the pot as much as I could.. I had the giblets and livers boiling away with onions and celery before that, to be strained in the broth... Thank goodness...Well it all turned out and to this day "it's a funny story, always brought up at the table when we are together..Now "Mom" knows how to make gravy too and it taste good!!
Zesti
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I use chickpea flour only to coat skinless chicken breasts or fish filets before sautéing lightly in olive oil till crisp. Yum! I season it well and I have had no problems. I think if I were to use it in recipes I may go hog wild.

This would work for "fried" zuchini, too.

SweetRose @};-
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

SweetRose,
When I first started just using beans as a gravy I went hog wild! ..Any chance I can get to add beans to any dish, is a good dish to me. My taste are just moving away from gravies.. :-?
I wondered about the flour too. But, simple basic thinking and doing is ship you are on, so I will set sail with you.. I have to remember K.I.S.S( Keep It Simple Silly!)..oh, we can call it the USS/LDL K.I.S.S ( Keep It Simple Ship)
My DH loves fried zucchini, I got him to love "baked" fried instead of the southern fried, with zuc's and chicken. Mushrooms are my favorite...
I am going to purchase a small container of the flour and use a little here and there for variety. If I do some catfish for him, he'll think it's his birthday OR wonder what it is he is forgetting... :x
Variety is the spice of life!. Moderation is always the key. Thanks for the reminder!
Zesti
bingo

Post by bingo »

Hi Zesti,.. Question.... How do you Bake "Fry " like you were talking about ? I believe it would help me a lot,,,,,,,, Thanks for any advice !! :ymhug:
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Zesti, your white bean gravy sounds like something I am going to try. You are a natural cook, it seems!~ Wow, any other tips/recipes that you can post are always welcome.

SweetRose @};-
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Oh, just a post script for anyone using liquid smoke: GO VERY EASY! A little goes a LONG way! If it's too smoky it is positively horrid, and you will never want to use it again. I found this out the hard way. :YMSICK:

I start off with a quarter of a teaspoon. I put this in the skillet when I'm cooking a lean steak. It is just enough to give a BBQ flavor, but doesn't overwhelm. I love the liquid smoke, but now I am always careful!

SweetRose @};-
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

I can't see any difference in chick pea flour and popcorn flour. Chick pea flour is just ground up peas. I have to make pancakes, waffles etc every so often because if I don't I will dump LDL as it is quite boring overall. I have been used to a diet with a great deal of variation and LDL lacks variety for me and having dessert (allowable foods used in the prep) is what is keeping me on track otherwise it is just like any of the other boring diets I have tried with no success. In 9 months I have lost 30 lbs, slow for sure but I want to do it gradually. If I stall I will just stick to how I am and be happy which would probably just be on the overweight side.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great attitude, Bethesda! This is not a race, and most of us have taken the slow, steady (mostly) route- and been happy with the change we are able to achieve. Some of us will end up weighing more than some "hoped for" number at the scale, but happy with what we have been able to achieve.
Keep on keeping on, as Roger says!
SweetRose7

Post by SweetRose7 »

I really want to try this gravy!

SweetRose7
SweetRose7