chickpea flour discovery

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
chewy

chickpea flour discovery

Post by chewy »

i just tried bob's red mill chickpea flour-great for a pancake or pizza crust. just mix 1 cup of chickpea flour with 1 cup of water. bake on parchment paper at 450 for 10 minutes!!yum!!
Zesti
Master Member

Re: chickpea flour discovery

Post by Zesti »

I have to try this that's for sure. Is it just ground chickpeas and no added stuff?
Thanks for sharing,
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

For Chewy who is quite slender this is a satisfying plus to her WOE.
But if you will search back for Banzo Bisquits or Banzo Brownies you will find that even though the flour is gluten free it caused major stalls or gains in those who tried to use it. For weight loss this should be a very occassional ltreat.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

OK. I need to do more homework on gluten free. My way of thinking is that: Flour made from beans is still beans. I guess I need to think of it as flour in the way of beans is still flour? Always in moderation, of course! I wouldn't of thought it would slow or mess up the digetive system like white flour does...Rith now, I don't want anything to slow the loss down..
Using smashed butter or red beans to thicken my sauces is working for me. But, I will remember this in the future...
Linda, THANKS so much for being the Food Police. I really need you..
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You're welcome Zesti but I'm not really an official food police. I actually still feel a bit of a newbie. I'm just passing on what was told to me when I asked the same questions. Let me restate Roger: "There's a difference between eating healthy and eating healthy to loose weight." The bean flour is certainly gluten free and is technically good for you. But just the responses from other members is just a bit of caution. You are welcome to try it and report your experience.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Gosh! I went away for the weekend and I miss you SOOOOOOOO MUCH!! :-*
I will watch it. I am having such good luck with using just beans as a thickener, that I might not ever go back to any kind of flour. I might just have around for DH when he is cooking his favorites. He won't even try the beans as part of his gumbo rue. I don't eat it so that's ok..Thank's Linda. I don't care what you say. You are one of my favorite Police Women!
I ordered the corn thins from iherb...Now all I have to do is wait!
Everything I am eating is LDL certified! when I stray for any reason, I am very aware of what it does to my body. I am really enjoying seeing the differences in what type of foods do what to my body. I try and stick with the book receipes as close as possible, even when those call for rice, I don't add it. I don't want to chance rice or pasta yet...
Thank you,
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

What an inspiration you are to me. I am struggling now after losing 45 lbs, and going in the wrong direction on the scales so I need to go back to the basics and forget all the fancy sauces. I may have to cut back on the smoothies and eat the whole fruit, cutting back on the amount of fruit I eat or divide the smoothies into cup sizes and freeze them, because it takes longer to eat them when they are frozen, and I eat less. I am impatient as well and want the weight to disappear. I'm getting used to being off work, but I am still adjusting. I am getting more exercise too. Life is still good. ;) I guess I want to eat what everyone else is eating, but don't want the consequences!! 8-| More of God and less of the self pitying, self absorbed ME!! Chat later, aloha Leilani
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Oma, I think you are doing fantastic. I know you are a good cook! I can't even imagine eating less yet..I am going to try eating meals at a "meal time" now and see how each meal carries me over to the next, but I gotta tell ya GF. Your idea of putting veggies and BEANS in with my fruit smoothies is a life saver!! I don't even use them as meals either. I am usually having one when I am in the kitchen cooking. If I am hungry when I am cooking, they really save me. They really keep the monster at bay. "deep down droning in the bay too". I don't feel guilty eating bowls of beans or corn between meals either.
Just a thought here: I used to be one of those "work out addicts". Now adays it's a good day for me if I am NOT sitting in front of the TV all day and night. But, I remember the days of hitting that "plateau" and watching the scale numbers. I used to excerise on an empty stomach too. I forgot that our bodies need fuel to excersise or even just to move. I wasn't giving my "engine" any fuel to use up" so I began to eat. The more I worked out, the more I was hungry all the time.
It was then I began to lose wight.. now fast forward to now! I eat and eat and eat and eat. And I am still loosing. I am just loving how the "beans" are affecting my body and how much energy I am getting..I am like jsprick. I have to add fat to my food. And, my choice is EVOO at least one tablespoon a day for me is doing the trick..
Hang in there! your are doing it. Some times we just forget about the simple things. I am a good cook too. but, on some days when I don't even have to think about cooking or eating. Life is good!
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Thanks Zesti, I am eating a smoothie as I am reading my posts. I decided since I am going to dinner at 5:30PM and I had breakfast at 11AM I would just have a smoothie. I started out trying to make a lemonade icy. I had some ice and added some Wylers lemonade mix, 2 frozen oranges, some mango chunks and 1/2 can SF fruit cocktail. It made a huge smoothie which I shared with DH and froze the remainder. It is very satisfying and I will take some leftover blackeyed pea salad (Texas Cavier) to put on my salad at dinner. It is in a lemon, vinegar and EVOO drsg. so it will suffice as salad drsg. I think one of the things about eating out is the amount of fat and salt content of the food. I come home and feel thirsty and crave the fruit. I would have quenched my thirst with soda in the "bad ole days" but it never works, just makes you want more. so I'll stick as close to the program as I can. Thursday is my retirement party and I thought I would get my hair fixed in the morning. The grandkids are coming so they can eat my share of cake. I may take some iced tea to drink. I like it without sugar. Anyway I am moving on from breakfast and doing what's good for me. Life is good.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Is that Wylers made with Splenda? I was the same with soda pop. Nerver really had it as a kid. So, when I moved out on my own I could have a much as I wanted..hmmm. thinking back. That's probably when the BIG problems started with my weight began. And, from that moment on DIE IT's...I stopped drinking them years ago, even the diet one's with spleanda. They just seemed to make me more thirsty and wanting more, and mostly craving sweets all the time..Now I High 5 good ole Mom and toast my water glass to her. It's my drink of choice..
I used to buy a non-sweetened powder at Trader Joe's years ago. I wonder if they still sell that. I will have to check that out. Do you have a Trader Joes close by or a Natural Market? I have to travel a bit of a distance to Trader Joes's.
They were promoting the high vitamin "C" content on the labels then...Man, how things have changed huh? Seems some still have all the same ingredient, just the lable has changed to meet the "changing fad...some old favorites are worth looking up though...
How was your retirement party?
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have a cupboard full of sugar free drinks. I am not buying new ones but using things up. I can't seem to throw them out!! I have 2 bags of generic splenda. When it is gone, I will not replace it. I will add a little to my smoothies. I may cut back on the fruit this summer and eat melon and other fruits instead of making so many smoothies. 2 whole pieces of fruit seem like more than a cup of smoothie. I am going to quit eating snacks when I'm not hungry. I drink the smoothies because I'm thirsty and I am going to make an effert to drink more water.
My retirement party was very nice and there were lots of people there. My head nurse brought a wonderful veggie tray and 4 types of dip. I didn't try the cake and they ran out before everyone got through the line. Nothing to tempt me. I sat next to LindaRN and we crunched away on our veggies with Hummus and spinach-artichoke dip. I'm really enjoying being retired, but I am around food more, and need to get used to that.
Life is good :D
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I know what you mean about not wanting to throw it out. I have a some stuff too, I just moved it way back in my pantry.
I think it's a good idea to eat more fruit. It takes much longer to do so and you do get the fiber benefit. It doesn't take as long to digest a smoothie as it does the real thing, but maybe you can have them in between meals. I am buying more squash and making smoothies from those because of you! I get me veggie A DAY that's for sure..
Now it's time for zucchini...YEAH! also a good "speggetti" when I don't have speggettie squash in the house. Make a good cold soup too on these hot summer days/night. the price is really coming down in the stores and DH has planted some in his garden for me. I am going to try a zucchini and pineapple smoothie. the Zuc takes on the flavors of the fruits..
If you like curry..I make this all the time in the winter and cold in the summer..
saute med onion with a little NF chicken broth.
add chopped zucchini and cook until nice and soft.
Put it in your blender adding curry ( or any spice you like really) I love cumin!
I have a hand blender I use in the pot, so I don't have to move it to the blender.
It freezes really well//
Now I am going to take a portion of it and add beans to make it nice and thick for a dip..
OH, my corn thins came in today..Snack Time!
Zesti.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I know it is hard to throw stuff away, but it really would be a healthy plus to get rid of it. They've even found the artificial sweeteners don't help you lose weight, and seem to have the opposite effect. I've read that stevia is the best and is natural. I use it to sweeten my hot tea. My favorite is KAL stevia. I get it from Vitacost.com and although it is initially expensive, it lasts a really long time because you only use a tiny scoop. I also sweeten iced tea and lemonade I make from squeezed lemons. I googled it to find a link to it, in case you are interested in getting some. I should buy stock in vitacost.com!! http://www.vitacost.com/kal-pure-stevia-extract-powder
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I think I had the same way of thinking when it came to the chickpea flour. I am not going to have it in the house..With doing my shopping the LDL way. I have slowly replaced most of the "no no's" in my pantry. I know I have shoved the splenda to way back in the cupboard and out of my site. When I have friends that come over and they use any of this stuff. I give it to them. I know for a fact, that splenda makes me hold onto weight and makes me crave sweets even more.
And, the worst part is. It doesn't fill me up in any way. So I look at it this way. Here is a bag of oranges, here is a bag of splenda. Which would make me feel full? No brain-ER here! so I ate the oranges. Didn't care about the calories. I ate and peeled until my fingers were orange..I don't think I ate or even wanted anything sweet for a week. Now I do the same thing if "binge times call for it but, now I eat the oranges and is less quantity than before, and less and less each time..
Then I crave my beans. So then I have a bowl of beans with oranges. Then it's over and I can get on with my day.
On days like this, at 3:00 a.m the morning, when I am getting ready to snooze. HEY! just pops up in my brain. You aren't hungry. You didn't continue to eat. You didn't eat anything after the orange ordeal or bean and orange.YEAH!. I just smile say my prayers and head right down to snooze town...YEAH! I won the battle. I am winning more battles these days...YEAH!YEAH! :ymapplause:
I am still not cutting back on quantity either. I am still waiting for that miracle to happen!! but my meals are more rounded.
Lots of protein and I mean LOTS..with my protein lunch meal and fresh veggies.
I am using the beans for all sauces and gravies. I "fried" a chicken breast using smashed up corn thins in a little EVOO yesterday, and smothered half of it in gravy. I love the gravy, but found that I like the "fried" corn taste on the chicken better.
Zesti
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, Zesti, you can get creative with the LDL way and find all kinds of little substitutes to give you the taste or texture you are looking for without the weight gain! I love the creamy texture, so I really love eating creamy bean soups. Also butternut squash soup -- though it has no beans. It is so delicious!

I think for me, if I keep in mind that anything processed makes it easier for the weight to come on. I guess that is why garbanzo bean flour/chick pea flour would cause weight gain. You have processed the beans by breaking them down into a flour. It is probably much easier to digest and doesn't require as many calories to digest! When I first lost weight with LDL, I even stayed away from smoothies, since you had to blend everything -- I figured it must require fewer calories to digest. I know others do great with them, though. I might have too, I just didn't try. You have to do what works for you, because like Roger promotes, you have to feel satisfied. If you feel like you are deprived, you will not stick with it and what good would that do???

I think that it is also important to watch your attitude and how you speak about following the plan. If you speak negatively and stir up your own feelings of discontent, you can easily sabotage your efforts. I see that happen often on the boards. People bad mouth themselves and go on and on about how they miss this or that. I know we can all have those moments or days, but if you can nip it in the bud and shift your focus to the positive, you will be successful. :-BD
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Thanks Crick :x Your wisdom is so appreciated. I went to water aerobic and they had swimming lessons for the kids at the shallow end. They usually don't do that because the kids get noisy and it is hard to hear the instructor. Today, instead of complaining I was joking with a classmate and said,"maybe we'll get the "Cocoon" effect and absorb some of this baby energy." =))
You are right about the attitude. I have an 80 year old classmate who brings her 57 year old daughter with Down's syndrome. They both have problems walking and use a walker. I think about that when I am lazy and can't get going in the morning. Exercizing is a priviledge that some can't partake in, so if you can move, move and if you can dance, dance. Just "don't let the grass grow" like Rickey Nelson used to say. Thanks again Crick. :-*
bingo

Post by bingo »

Good Morning everyone, I was checking out the boards and saw Zesti talking about "Gravy from beans,,, Would you mind sharing how and what you mix in to taste like gravy :ymhug: ,,, and would you peel the Zuke or leave it on for the fiber ? I Must try the smoothie w/ pineapple & zuc !,,, I too appreciate everyone,s wisdom and recipes , and just talk ,, Your the Best !!!!..... You keep me going and in check !! Enjoy Every Day the Lord has made !!!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You can use liquid smoke if you want bacon flavored white gravy or flavor with boullion.
I'll let the others chime in on the cukes. When I can, I like to get the pickling cucumbers. Those skins are so tender you can certainly blenderize them whole unpeeled.
Linda

bingo

Post by bingo »

Thanks Linda... Can`t wait to fix "Gravy "... and I am really enthused about the pineapple, zuc, or pickling cukes, I will be trying both !! I`ll let you know how they come out !
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Bingo, I started with the gravy recipe on the boards. 1 can of white beans, couple of roasted red peppers and LS, FF chicken broth. From there it's only your imagination..I make gravy from any type of meat I have had in the pot. I drain the fat, saute some onions or mushrooms, scrape up the goodies from the bottom of the pan, add broth, simmer a couple of minutes then thicken with beans I have pureed. Using the "white" beans: it looks more like real gravy, but I use red and black too...I think of the bean puree as my rue now. No more butter and flour.
The other day, I smashed some corn thins, added a little EVOO to them and rolled my skinless, boneless chicken breast in them. Baked until chicken was done and corn thins were crispy, covered them with the white gravy. It was real comfort food, and I felt like I was eating real fried chicken, even better really. I didn't feel like taking a nap. I felt like going for a walk instead..
I use to grow my own cucumbers, I would grow different kinds. The pickling I used for pickles, now I will use them in my smoothies. I don't take the seeds out either for a smoothie. I am using a blender now, so with the peels of the cuc's it doesn't chop them up well enough. I have to get a Ninja!!..some pieces always get stuck in my straw..I never peel the zucchini's. Those skins are always tender and grind well, and gives the smoothie a pretty green color along with the mint.
I can't maintain a big garden anymore, so I am growing cuc's and zucchini's in pot on my patio. Herbs too..I am looking forward to a hot summer day with cucumber smoothie's. I might have to get a great big hat and dress up like I was going to the horse races =)) this just make me think of mint juleps. I never had one of those either..
Zesti