Winter squash

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Roni10

Winter squash

Post by Roni10 »

Hello, I have a question about winter squash, butternut, pumpkin, spaghetti etc.. Are they allowed? I love them, but not sure if they are considered as vegetables or more as starches like potatoes or sweet potatoes. I want to start this way of eating this weekend. I cannot eat animal protein (except egg whites) for health reasons, love beans, but for variation I thought squash would be good if allowed. I need to lose about 30 pounds. I am coming from a low carb way of eating, but that caused me kidney and liver problems (that's why I need to cut them out for now), so I hope that this will work for me. Please let me know if I can include those in my shopping list and make them part of my daily diet.
Thank you all in advance :)
Zesti
Master Member

Re: Winter squash

Post by Zesti »

Hi Roni10,
YES! spaghetti squash is wonderful, with just about any sauce you can come up with.
Butternut AWESOME! Go up to the search button up top (RH) corner and type in butternut, or just squash, or spaghetti squash, lots and lots of good recipes..All are LDL acceptable...
I used to be a LC too, LDL was hard for me at first, just the rethinking part- not the eating part.
Once I found out I could eat as much of the squash family as I wanted and not gain and/or trigger a certain unwanted food (sugar). I was off and running. You will be too.

I am back to eating all of my favorite veggies I so missed, like corn on the cob, and pea...
Do you have to book yet?

Zesti,
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Roni- All the squash are permitted and delicious. I especially like to cut butternut squash into French fry type pieces. I put them in a plastic bag with about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and some salt and cinnamon. Knead the bag to distribute the oil and seasonings onto the fries. Dump out of the bag onto a cookie sheet. Bake about 30-40 minutes at about 375º turning every 15 minutes.. These are better than dessert. Mmmmmm..
Last edited by MsHeirloom on October 4th, 2014, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roni10

Post by Roni10 »

Thank you Ladies! I'm so glad squashes are allowed and not considered fattening! I have the book already, I skimmed through it quickly to get started, but planning on enjoying reading it all the way. I am so glad I found this forum!
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I love this forum...I love how everyone pops in like Ms.Heirloom and, reminds me of one of my most favorite desserts and the recipe is included..lol..So simple, especially this time of year. I always have some kind of squash on my counter, as they seem to last forever!
When my taste buds start to want something "sweet" and fruit is low supply or I just want something different. BAM! there it is. I also love sauteed pumpkin with scrambled eggs..yummy! just a little evoo to start, but mostly. I just use water or chicken broth. cook pumpkin until soft, and then add eggs..yummy

Zesti