how long since you at grains other than popcorn?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
chewy

how long since you at grains other than popcorn?

Post by chewy »

how long has it been since you ate any grains like rice,quinoa,oatmeal etC?
omalani
Master Member

Re: how long since you at grains other than popcorn?

Post by omalani »

I eat black and wild rice, rye crisps once or twice a week and occasionally oatmeal and quinoa. I like my cauliflower rice a lot. I will probably be eating oatmeal more this winter but here is a recipe for cold oatmeal for summer.

Chilled oatmeal: 1/2 cup of gluten free, non GMO oats, 1 cup of almond milk, 1 Tbs. sliced almonds, 1 chopped apple (cinnamon or vanilla if desired) cover and refrigerate overnight. Adapted from a recipe in Woman's World. It could be taken in a thermos for lunch as well.

Eating raw oats or al dente is better than mush. I liked this a lot and will try it again with blueberries, raisins or other dried or fresh fruit. Life is fun, try new things.
Last edited by omalani on September 7th, 2015, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

chewy

Post by chewy »

hi omalani, is that chilled oatmeal recipe from a recent Woman's World all about good carbs?i missed that one. what other foods were on the list?
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

It is in the August 31 issue of Woman's World. It is a detox plan with no meat. The following recipes I would like to try.
breakfast option
#1 Red velvet smoothie: Blend 1 cup almond milk, 1 shredded raw beet, 1 Tbs. almonds butter, 1 scoop vegan chocolate protein powder until smooth.
#2 Banana-strawberry Fro-Yo: Blend 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup froz. strawberries, 1 tsp' hemp or chia seeds or a small handful of almonds and a splash of almond milk until the consistency of ice cream.
lunch options
#1 Asian style veggies and edamame stir-fried in coconut oil with black or wild rice, reduced-sodium gluten free soy sauce, seasoning to taste and coconut oil with an orange for dessert.
#2 Mediterranean detox platter: Hummus, sliced raw veggies, (turnips, cucumbers, bell peppers, artichoke hearts, endive or small romaine leafs) kalamata olives, walnuts and grapes.
#3 Detox risotto: Prepare rice using vegetable broth instead of water. Meanwhile saute onion in coconut oil until soft; add garlic, a large portion of chopped chard or kale until soft; add several drained artichoke hearts and a tsp. capers until warm; serve veggies with parsley, salt and pepper over rice.
#4 Quinoa bowl: Quinoa, chopped tomato, chopped kalamata olives, toasted pine nuts and fresh mint or basil over a large bowl of baby greens; dress with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
#5 Burrito bowl: Toss pepper, onion, tomato and garlic with a pinch of cumin and saute in EVOO; stir in drainded black beans untill warm; serve over rice with guacamole and salsa. Fruit for dessert.
Evening treat: Blend 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/8 cup of chia seeds, 1 avocado, 1/4 cup cacoa powder and 2 dates or a drop of stevia until smooth. refrigerate 3-4 hrs. until set.
#2 Apples and walnuts dusted with cinnamon and sauted in coconut oil.
These are all vegan recipes and include grains, seeds and beans to make complete proteins. Again if they stir up craving or cause weight gain, adapt the recipe. Have fun in the kitchen. I think I will make the rice with veggie broth and freeze 1/2 cup portions because when I have a lot of leftovers I am tempted eat them rather then throw them away. Love, pray and enjoy God's abundant plants.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11