Gout

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Forever Young
Master Member

Gout

Post by Forever Young »

Help!  Is there anyone on this program who has or had gout?  If so, could I please get some feedback as to how you are doing...and if you are making any changes in the program?

There is a gentleman at our church who said he was told to not eat beans years ago because of an enzyme in them as he has gout.  I promised him I would see if I could get some info from anyone on here.

Thanks and God bless!

Forever Young
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Re: Gout

Post by niki »

hi FY....gout is caused by an accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints causing pain and swelling...you want to strive for a low purine diet which will cut down on the uric acid crystals......the main thing about your diet is that it should be a sufficient(and not excessive)amount of protein and low fat......i saw kidney and lima beans mentioned as moderate purine foods but what i read was that they shouldn't be excluded....soy was mentioned as being low purine and therefore acceptable........so let's do lunch should be right down your alley in order to deal with the gout AND make you shrink...and i really wouldn't omit the beans if i were you.....i would vary them and not eat any one particular bean too much.....but i think the moderate protein and the low fat aspect of let's do lunch should manage you very well.........hope this helped..keep me posted as to what works for you........AND don't forget to post what i expect to be your success on the medical success boards(start a new topic......gout) ...niki
Last edited by niki on September 10th, 2006, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.