Venison and/or pheasant

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
CJ

Venison and/or pheasant

Post by CJ »

It is hunting season here. I am curious as to what your position is on eating venison. I am thinking that because it is high in iron and low in fat, that it should be considered equal (or better) than lean beef and should be used the same. However, I would like to know what your thoughts are on that subject.
My other question is: since you do not recommend eating the dark part of a chicken, does that mean that pheasant is not on the LDL program either?
Thank you!
Carla
Last edited by CJ on September 3rd, 2007, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tori

Re: Venison and/or pheasant

Post by Tori »

Hi Carla! I don't know about the pheasant, but I do know that venison is just fine! It's a great, healthy meat, so feel free to eat it as your protein! (:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Pass the meat! Just be carefull with the sauces. Game birds typically do not have a lot of fat on them. Pheasant legs and thighs are also a lot smaller than chicken. I would love to have some smoked pheasant mmm mmmm.

God bless you and yours,

Gregg
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

(Can't you just hand the pheasant a cigarette about 10 minutes before you shoot it?)

Aw man! I just made myself spew coffee! Key board clean-up needed!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Carla;

Just from a weight-loss perspective, if Diet Pepsi does not make you crave sugars then no need to stop. Several of us on here have a different perspective due to health concerns but YOU do what you need to adjust this plan for you!  ;)
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Dear Carla,
I have not totally given up soda either.  Im sure is slows my weight loss somewhat but Im like you it doesnt make me crave sugar......I just want the caffeine Im sure or thats what Roger suggested.  With the low thyroid issue I have I just feel like I need a little boost in the afternoon. And as long as Im having diet pepsi or diet dr pepper along with a substantial meal I dont feel like it has jeopardized my progress any.  I only have a smoothie for breakfast and now I crave that instead of soda in the morning.  I have given up so much if I need my diet soda fix for a little longer I dont see the harm.  I waste more than I ever drink.  If it gets watered down cause I leave it too long I just throw it out anyhow.  If you are craving bread I highly recommend the corn thins everyone talks about.  Make a sandwich with them one day or I like to eat them with a fried egg and fat free cheese sometimes add one slice of shaved ham for breakfast.  Its really yummy and totally satisfied my bread cravings.  In a couple of days you will start to crave the corn thins instead of bread.  Best of luck and keep us posted on how your feelings/cravings are changing the further into this plan you get.
God Bless
Debbie
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Soynute, raisins, grapes, hard boiled eggs, container of delettuced salad......you could make a couple of Little mary's lettuce wraps too, they would be good.  Chicken or tuna salad and wasa crisp breads.....hmmmmm I will think about it some more and report back with any more good ideas!!
God Bless
Debbie
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

NJ - I laughed out loud about your smoked pheasant!!

Carla - oh my... climbing trees??  You must be a LOT younger than me!  I can't even imagine!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Carla -

I just went to the Calendar Page and your birthday is 5 days after mine!!  You are a year younger...

OK, so you're not that much younger - you must just be a lot SMALLER!!  LOL!  I'd be afraid of breaking branches... talk about scaring away the game!! 

Carolyn

Tori

Post by Tori »

On the topic of venison .... does anyone know how to take that "gamey" taste out of it? I cooked up a batch last night that a friend brought over, and while it was better than usual, it still had a slight gamey flavor. *uck* I had put some vinegar, red wine, onions, and garlic into the casserole dish that I made it in.

Any ideas for the future?
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Wow, Carla - 5'7"!!!  I only DREAM of being that tall!!  Unfortunately, I wear the same size (16), so I AM a LOT larger... :-(  Oh, well, patience, patience.... it will come off...

Drat - I'm going to have to log on at work to see all the pictures that Tori is posting....

Carolyn

Tori

Post by Tori »

We live in a cold climate, (Montana), so the heat isn't an issue here. LOL!

This venison came from a friend, so it hadn't been frozen yet. I will admit, that I grew up hunting, and have done everything from the shooting to the field dressing, to the cutting/wrapping of the meat. I don't think I would do it these days, as my empathy level for the animals really gets to me at times.

My hubby isn't a hunter, so any game we get comes from friends. Growing up though, it was how we helped fill the freezer, and my dad taught me by saying, "It's fine to kill an animal for food, but if you are going to shoot it, you are going to learn how to take care of the meat yourself, so that if the need ever arises, you will know how to do it on your own." A great philosophy, in my opinion. He also taught me steps 1-5. ;)

I do know that where you get your venison from actually makes a difference too. A lot of times the venison from the area around where we live has almost a pine tang to it, because the deer have eaten so many pine needles. Over east of the mountains where it is more grasslands and ranches, the game has a much better flavor as the deer have been eating oats, grains, and grasses.

I'll try the recipe you gave Carla the next time I have some to cook up. Thanks for the tips!
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

Queenie wrote:Carla -

I just went to the Calendar Page and your birthday is 5 days after mine!!  You are a year younger...

OK, so you're not that much younger - you must just be a lot SMALLER!!  LOL!  I'd be afraid of breaking branches... talk about scaring away the game!! 

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn - you just taught me how everyone seems to know when birthdays are.  I had never opened that calendar.  Always see UPCOMING BIRTHDAYS but didn't know we could check out actual date!! And who said ya can't teach an old dog-- I mean gramma - new tricks!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

marysimmons wrote:...I find it tough enough to skin and gut a salmon, without  having to deal with a dead furry mammal!....

Mary

...I will admit, that I grew up hunting, and have done everything from the shooting to the field dressing, to the cutting/wrapping of the meat....

Tori

oooooooookkkkkkkk - geez, I'm gone all day working and this is what I come back to??  LOL!!!!!!!

I will have to admit, I must be a real "girly girl"...  I don't fish cause I won't touch worms, and heaven forbid I would catch something because I'd never take it off the hook...  And hunt?  Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh - I know for a fact that I could never do that (although I WAS the Nintendo "Duck Hunt" champ!!)

Nope, that stuff comes either from the hunters/fishers in my family or from the supemarket!!

Carolyn (the wuss!)

robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

I'm with you Carolyn except, I like fishing and then releasing!! (Hated cleaning caught fish which my Dad made me do!) Won't use worms though, I used the salmon eggs or velveeta cheese. My kids on the other hand love snakes, worms etc. (My oldest wants a snake for a pet sometimes I think...but her chances of that are slim and none....and slim just left the building!)