Another question for Little Mary!!!

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
robnveronica
Master Member

Another question for Little Mary!!!

Post by robnveronica »

Mary....I just want to know if this is OK for LDL. Since I had browned Lean Grd. Beef for the kids for mac-n-cheese w/ grd beef, I put some aside for me.
I added 1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup, and some Ketchup to cut the tomato soup taste (couldn't find any spag sauce here tonight in the cabinet!) and added a can of rinsed Red Kidney beans and a can of rinsed Whole Kernel Corn. I mixed it all together and ate kinda like a stew.
Just checking since I know the basic ingredients are "in the grocery list" just wasn't sure if this was truly acceptable. (Sure tasted good!! which almost makes me think no)
Thanks
Veronica
EnJae
Master Member

Re: Another question for Little Mary!!!

Post by EnJae »

Sorry, not Mary, but I am here...

Look at the ingredients on your soup can. Most processed soups have some form of sugar.

NJ
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

Veronica, I don't think it's a problem because on page 153 of LDL R.M.'s MADE RIGHTS (sloppy joe recipe) they use 2 cans of campbells tomato soup.
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

See Robert (DH) ran off with my book in the back of the van tonight and I didn't have a recipe to follow, but I wanted something like those. So I just put all those ingredients together and hoped! Would've liked those other ones made with the pumpkin, however no pumpkin on hand last night! (and with kids under foot "I'm HUNGRY" , "when is dinner?" I needed something on hand and quick!
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Veronica! When you're in a bind, you make do with what you got and make the best choice that you can. And if it's not totally LDL approved or accepted, you try and not make a habit of using the "bad" things. And you keep your pantry stocked with the good things! :) .... And LDL food should taste good and it does taste good, so don't feel bad that your improvisation tasted good to you, girl! You're supposed to enjoy your nourishment! :) ....NYKath
niki

Post by niki »

dear princess veronica..that showed  quick thinking and good choices........it's very hard when you're not cooking only for yourself...and queen mum was absolutely right when she said that that soup is used in other recipes in the book....
  HONESTLY,it's easier for me not to fall off the ldl wagon because i really mostly cook for myself......but i'll tell you,one thing i always have a lot of in the house are cans of crushed tomatoes...i buy them by the case when they're on sale...i can't BELIEVE how much of these that i go through.....
  and what i do now is, i cook the meat before i freeze it....if i see ground sirloin on sale,i'll buy it...i'll make some burgers to freeze....and i'll make a BIG batch of the greek meatballs that i make and freeze them in a freezer bag.....i had bought boneless chicken breasts....i made a couple of pounds as oven fried chicken and froze them single layer in a freezer bag...and i marinated a couple of pounds overnight and grilled them on the forman grill the next day and froze them too....each of those days,that was my protein for that day and then i had numerous meals ready in the freezer.....when i see ground sirloin on sale,sometimes i'll make black bean chilli in a huge amount(as much as i can fit in my 4 quart pot)...i'll buy 4 pounds and use 2 for the chilli and 2 for meatballs..............
  when i make bean soups,i make whatever fits in my 4 quart pot(when i get a crock pot,i'll REALLY be able to make a lot)....if i make lentil soup i make 1 1/2 lbs of lentils...if i make soybeans,i cook them all and freeze them flattened out in a freezer bag(rhea's idea)which really works for me to make a stirfry with them when i don't know what else to eat......i stir fry them with fresh string beans or i could use broccoli or eggplant or peppers and onions...i bought broccolirabe on sale...i cooked it with garlic and olive oil.....i ate some...i froze    some......when i defrost what i froze,i'll add cannelini beans and chicken broth to make a delicious soup...
    these are all the things i've learned to do since being on let's do lunch to make my life easier..... 
  and DON'T forget about your commitment to the N.O.P.C.B.(national organization for the promotion of the consumption of beans).....
  carry on,proncess veronica...and many thanks to the queen mum for assisting in clearing up the confusion......
                                  signed,
                            the bean queen   
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

hahhaaaaaaaaa!!!

Welcome back, my friend!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

thanks carolyn........niki
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Thanks guys! It's hard enough right now to just keep things on hand. My freezer isn't very big and is usually full of all the "Makings" before cooking! Trying to get enough extra TIME to make things ahead difficult! With hubby working, 3 kids under foot, and all the multitudes of what kids have going on..what is extra time??? the 20-45 minutes I manage to get on the boards?? (nope can't give that up!), the 60-90 minutes of driving to get home from work?? (I wish!) See, with me usually eating the protein at lunch, I come home to fix salad, veggies etc for dinner for me. DH(robert) is supposed to fix stuff for the kids to eat. Then if any left over meats...I take to work next day for lunch. Just so happened that hubby went to work and hadn't fixed/planned anything for kids and I had only salad at lunch! So...had to cook quickly!
I even took the leftovers to work today and had on top of a salad.