hot meals

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
snowbirdie
Master Member

hot meals

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi
  I really miss hot meals in the evening. Not necessarly meat meals just HOT meals. What shall I do? Also since we can have oatmeal what would be the amount and can we use steel cut oatmeal as that is what we have always used? Would this be an evening meal or only for breakfast. I don't have the new book so as a result I must ask a lot of questions.

Judie
Queenie
Administrator

Re: hot meals

Post by Queenie »

Judie - You can have hot meals in the evening.  There are many meatless soups and meatless dishes on the recipe boards.  You can also have hot vegetables.  There is really an endless list of things you can have, so by all means, have something hot!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
LRittle
New, but learning

No Protein at Night and its Benefits!!!!!

Post by LRittle »

Hi,
I have begun to plan an LDL soup and salad for our evening meals. I have loved every evening meal and feel so much better. I think it is more a mental battle to have no protein at the evening meal, than anything. We have just been so used to eating heavy meals with protein in them at dinner time, that it takes a mind shift.
I am a diabetic and I already have had my blood sugars dropping in the mornings....something I have not been able to do for over 5 years. I know it is the LDL Program. My blood sugars are reading close to normal all day long now.....so what Roger has been saying is true! The LDL Program is keeping my blood sugars from spiking during the day and overnight(which is when most diabetics blood sugars spike normally).
So, not only am I losing weight and am feeling wonderful, now my diabetes is showing greater all day control. I am so encourgaed by LDL.
Linda
"Praise Him from whom all blessings flow!"
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

thank you much for your ideas. i must have been in a slump couldn't think of a thing to have. i had made a soup for lunch and then it wasn't very good so oooo i don't know. must have been temorarly nuts.  lol.
                                        judie
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Judie,

I make chili with everything in it but the kitchen sink...and meat!!  I mince up onion and celery and I grate carrots on a small grater. This gives wonderful flavor and heartiness to the chili. I saute this in olive oil.  I also add chopped green pepper and minced garlic.  Then come the canned tomatoes and the long slow simmering.  After this I add seasonings, pinto or kidney beans and one or two cans of refried beans (this makes it nice and thick)and one or two cups of whole kernel corn, depending on how big my pot it.  This is very satisfying for a hot dinner meal and if you want to have it for lunch, just add some meat!!  One time saver for me is to buy large pkgs of ground sirloin and using two or three large pans, I cook it all up.  To one pan, I'll add taco seasoning.  To another, perhaps marinara sauce and the last one I just leave plain (to add to chili, maybe?).  Then I put individual servings into small snack size bags, put them all in a gallon freezer bag and identify it as taco or plain, etc.  This has saved me countless steps and much time when I'm in a hurry.  A big pot of vegetables with beans is a great hot meal for the evening.  You will find lots of good ideas in the recipe files.  God bless you.

Pat
Last edited by patsyfay on May 18th, 2007, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Linda,

What great news on your blood sugar readings.  You certainly should be REJOICING with those lower numbers!  We are so PROUD of you and your success thus far!!!  Looking forward to more good postings on down the road.

Keep on keeping on...on LDL and the weight will fall off and the blood sugar numbers will become more stable. 

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Roger
  It was some dumb thing  that ralphy and I thought would be good. We gathered up the legal foods that we liked and put it together, Well I just didn't like it. Ralphy eats anything so to him it was ok. What really happened was we needed to go shopping and used what was at hand. Lol A person shouldn't always do that.    Judie and Ralphie
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Hey Judie...that's how some of the best recipes come about. Just  by experimenting right!
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

Some hot meals we love:
Veggie Cabbage Rolls
LDL Lasagna (w/zuchini, ff motz. cheese...no meat or noodles)
Note:  We use the sauce from the cabbage rolls in the lasagna too...I just tripple it on Cabbage Roll night (feeding a family of nine)
Most any of the soups (pizza and roasted garlic probably our favorites)

Many nights we whip up a pot of various beans (pinto, black, kidney, or some combo.), diced tomatoes, corn, onions, etc. and either season it with italian type seasonings or tex-mex (using either garlic & ital. seasonings or jalepenos/cayenne pepper, etc.)....it's inexpensive, healthy and my kids really like it.

Another hot meal my family loves is "Rice Bowl"....Stir fry veggies (anything I have, but always w/garlic & onion) in OO adding soy sauce and a bit of corn starch toward the end.  We serve it over "fake rice" (i.e. chopped up cauliflower sauteed in oo w/sea salt & other LDL approved seasonings to taste). For lunch sometimes we do this one with lean beef, turkey/chicken breast cut up.  (My girls will be posting a measured out recipe version sometime this summer)

I'm in Texas so I would love to exchange some of these hot meal ideas for some cold ones these days.

Blessings,
Julie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Thank you all for your ideas they are wonderful.
                      Judie