Agave...New Natural Sweetener That Supposedly Won't Mess With Your Blood Sugar

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
xmasgirl43
New, but learning

Re: Agave...New Natural Sweetener That Supposedly Won't Mess With Your Blood Sugar

Post by xmasgirl43 »

OH, am I ever happy to have your endorsement Roger Troy!  I had asked about agave, being a huge cactus and succulent fan anyway, I had researched it and found it to be quite good in regard to blood sugar.  They are actually doing extensive research in California (I hear) in regard to Prickly Pear cactus and regulation of blood sugar.  Of course, this is not from the prickly pear, but from agave cactus....but more and more research done every day!  I thank God for your program every day...I am having wonderful results from your eating plan, and am so energetic and happy!  I am a 51 year old mom of 4 grown kids, and have never felt so good!!!
God Bless you FOREVER!
Julie
niki
Administrator

Re: Agave...New Natural Sweetener That Supposedly Won't Mess With Your Blood Sugar

Post by niki »

hi roger....i was just going on the premise that most sweeteners like that, extracts with that kind of sweetness, would cause your blood sugars to fluctuate.....sugar from sugar beets was what i compared it to in my mind....
  i would just suggest that before anyone buys loads of this, that they wait and see how you and anita do............you could use this in loads of things if it does the job......
  like you always say, this IS a work in progress.......i'll be waiting for a progress report to find out how you do........love,niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

I tried agave while I was 'off' LDL in the early summer and whether it spiked my blood sugar or not, i don't know. What I found though was that it did encourage me to want to eat starches and other sweet things -- unlike honey, which does not seem to have that effect on me.

It may be fine for some people, but I find that if I start eating things with extra sweetness (other than fruit of course), it messes with my self-control and appetite -- maybe it's just me. Anyway, that's my two cents worth,,,

Rhea
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Rhea wrote:it messes with my self-control and appetite -- maybe it's just me.

me, too..........i totally agree....that's the effect it has on me, too...i stay strictly on let's do lunch because that's the only way i lose...but, i also don't want to entertain anything on my palate...i don't want to give it any ideas..........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
xmasgirl43
New, but learning

Post by xmasgirl43 »

You know...I started to wonder just what I would use this for, except to sweeten my coffee, and I can't think of any other thing since I can't make any bread items...so I am so happy just to use my Splenda as I have been, in my coffee!!!!!  Funny how it takes a while to realize you have gotten so far away from something...you really have no further need for it at all!
Julie
Jamilet
New, but learning

Post by Jamilet »

Hi Mary,

Would it be "Two Euros" worth these days?

Off topic again,  I just want to thank Mary , Niki, and everyone who has taken the time to post their advise and recipes.  All of your efforts have been a real blessing to me and certainly to every new LDL'er.  Thanks again, and God bless!
Jamilet
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Jamilet wrote:Off topic again,  I just want to thank Mary , Niki, and everyone who has taken the time to post their advise and recipes.  All of your efforts have been a real blessing to me and certainly to every new LDL'er.  Thanks again, and God bless!

you're very welcome and should you have any questions, as you continue, that you don't see anywhere else, don't hesitate to throw them out.....sometimes you might be sabotaging yourself with the "occasional" foods...or sometimes you might be snacking too much......both of these effect your blood sugars...but, keep eating BEANS and you'll keep your path straight.....you'll have that FULL feeling without even understanding WHY you JUST don't have the urge to snack....sincerely,niki   
Last edited by niki on November 13th, 2007, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamilet
New, but learning

How many times sweeter than sugar is agave?

Post by Jamilet »

I saw 100% pure agave syrup in the grocery store last night, so I picked it up to look at the label.  I was surprised to see that it packs a whopping 60 calories per tablespoon, the same amount of table sugar has 45.  My point is, that even if it doesn't cause our blood sugar to spike, it's too calorically dense to be used liberally.  Is it sweet enough that we can get away with half a teaspoon, for example, in a cup of coffee?
Jamilet
Jamilet
New, but learning

Post by Jamilet »

Roger, the beauty of your program is that it allows me to eat foods I enjoy until I am completely satisfied while taking in fewer calories than I used to.  When you're a five foot tall, small boned, forty year old woman with a healthy appetite, that's a dream come true!

Do you have any advise to help us stay on the plan through the holiday season?  With all of the shopping, decorating, and extra effort to meet the expectations of loved ones --especially with favorite treats-- it's very difficult to remain focused.
Last edited by Jamilet on November 16th, 2007, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamilet
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Jamilet wrote:Do you have any advise to help us stay on the plan through the holiday season?  With all of the shopping, decorating, and extra effort to meet the expectations of loved ones --especially with favorite treats-- it's very difficult to remain focused.

i started let's do lunch last january and went through thanksgiving and christmas staying on course...you have to make sure you ALWAYS have all the things you need to eat on hand....loads of bean soups and loads of fruit.....one reason we go off is because we DON'T have the right foods on hand when we need them and then eat stuff we shouldn't..........
  special issue when it's the holiday because there's that little kid in ALL of us that feels DEPRIVED when we DON'T eat the stuff everyone else is eating.......
  YOU remember that YOU are a child of God and THAT STUFF is NOT good enough for YOU......you deserve the BEST quality foods...you're a high performance vehicle that needs high octane gas...DON'T let anyone put rubbing alcohol in YOUR engine..........love,niki 
abundantlyblessed

Re: Agave...New Natural Sweetener That Supposedly Won't Mess With Your Blood Sug

Post by abundantlyblessed »

Jamilet wrote:Roger, the beauty of your program is that it allows me to eat foods I enjoy until I am completely satisfied while taking in fewer calories than I used to.  When you're a five foot tall, small boned, forty year old woman with a healthy appetite, that's a dream come true!

Do you have any advise to help us stay on the plan through the holiday season?  With all of the shopping, decorating, and extra effort to meet the expectations of loved ones --especially with favorite treats-- it's very difficult to remain focused.

Jamilet, I was thinking that I had written this post. LOL!!! I too am 5' tall, small boned, and 43! 

I asked a similar questions last week. Here is the link to that thread...
http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=3816.0

Here is Roger's awesome advice!!!

First of all, you don't taste the beans in most of the recipes!...they are in the recipes so that your body gets the starchy carbs it needs in order to eliminate your cravings for the potato foods and flour foods (even if a healthy version) that spike your blood sugar and make you hungry all the time. Also, put corn and peas in your salads and on your plate as vegetables for the same reason! And, eat until you are totally full, whenever you are hungry, no matter how often that is!

Also, like was said, eat whatever fresh fruits you do like and eat them until you are full!...to eliminate your cravings for chocolate, ice cream and sweets.

Further, if you really want to lose weight, you will do as I did when I was losing and figure out a way to deal with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc.

First of all, on Thanksgiving day, when I was losing, I would get up in the morning and PIG OUT on fresh fruits and fruit smoothies until I couldn't possibly eat another bite of food because I was so full! This will eliminate your craving for pumpkin pie, ice cream and all the other desserts that day. It will also help to keep you from wanting to eat anything else that day. Then, bring with you to your Thanksgiving dinner enough Let's Do Lunch mashed potatoes, corn, peas and wild rice dressing (to heat up at mealtime), some cranberries (no sugar added) and enough acceptable crisp bread or corn thins to fill you up. Because of your morning fruit intake, you won't be able to eat as much as you think. I know this is not easy, but if you truly want to lose weight, it is worth the extra time and effort to do it...it's that simple. When you think about it, if you're constantly making excuses as to why you are failing, it's probably because you really have not made up your mind to do the extra work it takes to lose the weight.

Additionally, almost all the recipes on Let's Do Lunch are simple and delicious, and contain the ingredients that are necessary in order for you to eliminate your cravings for all the foods that make you hungry all the time!

Hope it helps!
Michele ºÜº
Jamilet
New, but learning

Post by Jamilet »

Niki & Michele, Thank you both for the good advise.

God Bless,

Jamilet
Jamilet