Oh Bean Queen...

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Su
New, but learning

Re: Oh Bean Queen...

Post by Su »

Okay,
According to Dr. Oz~everyone passes gas at least 14 times a day~that's right 14!
Altho I'm sure Hal has taken at least half of mine~

In my 40 yrs. of being a cook in Hospitals, Deli's, Schools & even in the Juvenile Hall & Boot Camp I've cooked ALOT of Beans. We're not even going to start counting the Chili Cookoffs or the Family reunions (& everyday) Potuguese Beans.

I do soak them overnight with baking soda~ BUT I also add a tspn, full when I cook them. It does help to cut out the "Toot".
There's nothing worse then the "Walking Farts" as Larry the Cable Guy says, and as we get older it gets worse.

Here's something that will sound like WTMI~~
But when you pass gas & it Stinks~~
You need to go sit on the pot and have a "Healthy One".
Why?
It smells bad because you have feces in the way and as the gas passes past it~it brings along the smell!
So go have a BM & it will help eliminate the smell~~but first soak & cook the beans with baking Soda~it works!

Su
When We Know Better~We Do Better
~~ This Too Shall Pass ~~
Vernswifevickie

Post by Vernswifevickie »

Hey Su...thanks so much for the advice. I also soak my beans in baking soda. I don't add any when cooking though...I will try that. Interesting about the smell. I've never heard that before. I'm not sure I can force a BM when it happens but I sure can try....boy...talk about too much info...LOL
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Mom to Chris, Courtney & Colin
Grandma Honey to lil Miss Autumn
Daughter of the King!
TrishM
New, but learning

Post by TrishM »

Su wrote:Okay,
According to Dr. Oz~everyone passes gas at least 14 times a day~that's right 14!
Altho I'm sure Hal has taken at least half of mine~

In my 40 yrs. of being a cook in Hospitals, Deli's, Schools & even in the Juvenile Hall & Boot Camp I've cooked ALOT of Beans. We're not even going to start counting the Chili Cookoffs or the Family reunions (& everyday) Potuguese Beans.

I do soak them overnight with baking soda~ BUT I also add a tspn, full when I cook them. It does help to cut out the "Toot".
There's nothing worse then the "Walking Farts" as Larry the Cable Guy says, and as we get older it gets worse.

Here's something that will sound like WTMI~~
But when you pass gas & it Stinks~~
You need to go sit on the pot and have a "Healthy One".
Why?
It smells bad because you have feces in the way and as the gas passes past it~it brings along the smell!
So go have a BM & it will help eliminate the smell~~but first soak & cook the beans with baking Soda~it works!

Su

Ewwwwwww...I'm reading this on my lunch break and NOW I'm definitely NOT hungry any longer!  WTMI is right.  :o.  I'm a happy girl though cause #1  I found whole foods Corn Thins at our local grocers and #2  the book store just called me and MY BOOK IS IN - YAHOOOOOO!  :-* ;D  Trish
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

Vickie,

Well lets face it !!!!! We stink and thats that!!!!Me done every thing to cook the beans but gas is still there no matter so will continue to  eat them and it least we know how to clear a room lol!!!!

They say your body will get use to it but don't think  it will, could be my age.See what you young people have to look forward to???
Well you know what they say Vickie we all have a twin out there. Bless their hearts if there is some one out there that looks like me.

Actually I am a twin.I have a twin brother, we look nothing alike he,s 6ft 2 me 5ft 2 he,s dark completed he has dark hair well none of your business what color my hair is lol.You get the picture here we look nothing alike but we both love life and never meet a stranger.
We love to laugh and have a good time,the glass is always half full!!!!
Hey people lost 2 pds this week so far its water but will take it ,hope  I stay true to plan trying to do better this week,take one day at a time.

The weather is warm sunny and beatiful here in tn hard to believe we had tornado,s here Fri.That,s TN weather if you don,t like it stick around it will change.

Way off topic but hey on top of world at moment and feeling good. could it be because ldl??? 

Smiling From Tn 8)
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME : PHILIPPIANS 4:13
Su
New, but learning

Post by Su »

CM IN TN~You're a Hoot, LAdy!

First let me say you don't look very old to be calling the rest of us young people.

Plus age is just a number and everything is all mind over matter, I just turned 59 on 4/10 and most days I feel like a recycled teenager~and then I wake up!

2 lbs. is awesome and who cares where it's from it made the number on the scale go in the downward's direction.

Keep cheering us up and stop saying you're old~~none of us are!

Su
BassLady

Post by BassLady »

I have just accidentally "or divinely" today come across Let's Do Lunch.  Never heard of it before and am intrigued.

But I was reading the post about helping gas issues with beans.  I learned this trick and I have tried it once and it really did help me.

First you soak your beans for 8 hours (I was doing pinto beans).  Then you drain them and lay them on a clean towel in a single layer on a flat surface and leave them overnight or another 8 hours.  If you look closely at the beans after this you will see a slight little bulge spot.  This is the bean starting to sprout.  When this happens some kind of enzyme action has taken place in the beans and you can cook them like you normally would and according the information I found, this should eliminate a lot of the gas problem.  Hope it works for you.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

WOW......that's GREAT.....i've never read this anywhere and i can't wait to try it..........
    welcome.........did you see the name of the book online?.........
    eating this way has CHANGED my life.....it has the potential to do the same thing for YOU.............the fact that you know how to cook beans the right way means you like them.............beans are on the top of my list as far as foods that helped me the most....stick around...check out the boards AND loads of recipes....and be sure to share your success when it happens...sincerely,niki
Last edited by niki on April 17th, 2008, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
BassLady

Post by BassLady »

I was searching christianbook.com for some information because my friend and I were thinking about starting a support group at church for overweight people.  I am over 100 lbs overweight and have been through all the struggles and yo-yos that everyone experiences.  I have been reading the posts and am encouraged.  My biggest, hugest struggle is that I am a soda addict.  I drink diet pepsi for every meal.  And I have struggled with this because there just isn't anything else I really enjoy. I don't care for coffee, hate teas of all kinds, don't really enjoy fruit juices or fruity flavored drinks.  I drink plenty of water in between meals but it just doesn't satisfy at meal times. So any suggestions for kicking that habit would be fabulous.  Be warned though, I have quit twice before in my life and was off it for 3 months each time and then something snapped and I was right back on it again.  Maybe that's a demon only God can help me with (lol).  I will probably order the book soon and give this a try.  It sounds like something a lot more doable and a lot less painful.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Basslady;

I used to drink no water.
Everyday I'd get two 36oz cokes from the Skinny's up the street and drink them all day long.  Then with meals I drank iced tea with 1 1/4 cups of sugar in each gallon of tea.
About two years before I ever heard about "Let's Do Lunch"tm (LDL) I managed to get off of cokes using vinegar water.
In a 16 oz glass of water I added 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and a Tbsp of honey. After about a week I added 2 tsp of apple cider vinergar and a Tbsp of honey. The third week I 'graduated' to 1 Tbsp each of apple cider vinegar and honey.

I drank that twice a day and drank water or SWEET iced tea the rest of the time. Apparently it was the acid in cokes that had me hooked. Over the next two years I lost 18# with that being my only change.

Then I was led to LDL; in the year and a half since then I have lost another 32# for a total of 56#.

If I had to do the vinegar drink on LDL I would choose some other sugar substitute. (I like Stevia.) Apparently, honey is nearly as bad as regular sugar and corn syrup.

NJ
BassLady

Post by BassLady »

Thanks for that suggestion EnJae.  I've heard of drinking vinegar water to stabilize the ph level in the stomach but I hadn't heard of using it for kicking a soda habit.  But that makes sense that the acid may play a big part in it.  After all, the soda is full of phosphoric acid.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm not sure when I will try and start it, I am trying to take things one step at a time.  I just ordered my book last night. Am really glad to see this forum and all the friendly people that are a part of it.
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Su,
    I just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday, and welcome to LDL. 
      And EnJae, I also like vinegar and water, but i use sweetner in mine. makes a refreshing drink,but ticks off kids and hubby when they snich what they think is mom's treat. lol
                                        have a good day
                                                    G-d bless
                                                            kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I just want to be clear here! I am NOT recommending honey for this drink now. It is what I used for 2 years before I ever heard about LDL.
Now I would use Stevia; someone else may prefer Splenda or some other chemical sweetener.

;D
NJ
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

SU,

Girl your to funny honey!
First welcome aboard the skinny train,there's always room for more.They add cars daily, so hop abroad.

Happy belated B.D. to you.As for me will be a classic this yr in June(57 chevy Bel-Air). I love these cars!
My late husband we had 2 of them, he always said a guy can't have to many red 57's.Sold no 1 after he passed away it won every show he entered it in' was beatiful car.Sorry get carried way some times.Talk bout how young you feel its un real how much better you feel on ldl.When you on the plan,you feel so much better why do we stray? Really when I eat something not ldl friendly, its not as good as it use to taste.So I don't know why we jump off the train?My trained got derailed and trying to get the cars back on track lol.

Bout the gas from beans to bad we can't figure out how to do something with all this gas to fuel our auto's with.Then everyone would be only LDL.I been cooking my beans last 2 pots with country ham pieces in them talking bout dee-lious yum yum .It may not be LDL friendly but that's all I eat bowl beans and ham not that much ham in each bowl I really stay satisfied, but don't do as I do. Don't want to be the reason you eat your beans like that. Can see it now as every one reads this bout ham and raising one eyebrow!!!!But what works for me may not you.

Who's the cutie in the pic?
Love your saying also!

Come here often ask what you may some one will be happy to help you.Good luck on your journey, I think you will like it!

CM IN TN
Su
New, but learning

Post by Su »

Graceface66 & CM in TN~thanks for the birthday holler!!!

CM in TN, you're Hilarius yourself Lady! :D

The cutie in the photo is my one and only Grandson Ragan James, that pic was taken on his 6 month birthday on March 7th.
My DIL told me yesterday that he's pulling himself up and standing now, I sure miss him alot. I just moved to Okie-homa on March 28th and he lives in California~he's the son of My Baby (33 yrs. & my older son 37 yrs old).

I've decided that people would enjoy my little Angel's pic more then mine.

Su
Last edited by Su on April 21st, 2008, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

1) Su...He is a cutie but we'd love to see your true photo as well!!! (Hint hint)
2) Bass Lady...welcome to LDL I'm sure you're gonna love it here!
3) CM...I have no clue WHY we stray...but I too have done so lately and just have had one heck of a time getting back on track..especially w/ kids in softball 3 days a week and not getting home til after 830! I've gotta start getting some LDL things prepared ahead
Su
New, but learning

Post by Su »

Hey there Veronica,

What do you mean by my "True Photo~Hint, Hint" ???

That WAS a picture of me ~ from 2 yrs. ago~~
Do you mean an updated/recent picture?

Don't have any, the most recent was on Sept. 8th the day after Ragan was born~
I'm holding him (he's 15 hrs. old) and I had just done the "Ugly Cry", so my eyes are all puffy and I was tired from driving the 3 hrs. to the Hospital.

That's it, as far as pic's go for right now, as soon as we get everything settled and my knee heals (I pulled Ligaments in it 2 weeks ago carrying boxes in from the trailer) ~ I'll have one taken.

Su
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

SU'

So have u been here before on LDL?I could have read your post wrong.Would love to see a pic of you.My pic was poated by my dear friend Jeanne from IND. was bless to meet her and her handsome husband Mr. Jim when they came through Tn last yr from a gospel concert,so he took pic it was last Aug. still look same but add 10 pds and bunches of inches.To alot of people 10 pds is not much to me its alot I want to lose bout 25 more.

Your grandson is a doll!!! I have a 14' 11'& 2 yr old they are grand for sure,they are my life.God knew what he was doing when he created grandchildren!!! :-*

Gosh its so pretty here today, will get in upper 70's the sun just makes you feel good.
Have a bowl of beans with ham piecies in it hummy, just call me a old fart!!!!! But who cares well I do but can't have the beans with out the gas. ;D So will pass it along lol.

CM IN TN 8)
Su
New, but learning

Post by Su »

CM~
I don't know how to do the picture thingy but my friend Paula does.
She's the one that replaced my pic with Ragan's, he's in my avi box on the other forum, so I can have her put mine back in here.

Since a pic taken 2 yrs. ago doesn't seem to be current enough for Veronica (lol) I'll see if she still has the code in photobucket of me holding Ragan last sept.
If she doesn't~then the 2 year old will have to do.
Just add 15 more lbs. and a few more of GOD's Highlights (gray) and that's how I look today!

CM~you do NOT look old enough for a 14 yr. old grandchild!
Here I am 59 yrs. old & I only have ONE & he's only almost 8 months old.
Not Fair!!!!!

Su
Su
New, but learning

Post by Su »

OKAY VERONICA THIS IS A MORE RECENT PHOTO THEN THE LAST ONE.

It was taken on Sept. 8th, 2007~the day after my Grandson Ragan was born.
Ragan is now 7 and a half months old~~I'd left my house at 4am to drive the 3 hrs. to the Hospital. I did the "Ugly Cry" the moment I laid eyes on my little Angel~that's why I look tired & have Puffy eyes.

Hope this qualifies as a "TRUE PHOTO" of me, I was 58 yrs. old then & just turned 59 on April 10th.
As I said the last one that was up was taken 2 yrs. ago and I weighed 228 lbs..
In this one I weighed around 250 lbs. & right now I weigh 237 lbs.

Su
Last edited by Su on April 22nd, 2008, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Su that is a great photo of you. That one looks even younger than the one from two years ago lol  I think Veronica must not have saw the other pic when you posted that and thats why she asked you to post a real pic lol.  I got the impression that she had only saw you posting pics of the baby.