Bean Question?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
shuless

Bean Question?

Post by shuless »

So it is best to rinse canned pinto beans before you use them and why?.Is there any brand  that stands out better than all of the rest? I know Roger mentioned in his book how he liked to combine (lean)ground hamburger and turkey along with beans.Would adding Rotella tomatoes be a bad thing to add.They sure add a great zing! Their ingredients are Tomatoes with juice, water,Jalapeno peppers and less than 2% of the following, Habanero peppers salt citric acid calcium chloride , spice.
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: Bean Question?

Post by patsyfay »

I don't see why you couldn't add the tomatoes.  I've never tried it, but it sounds intriguing!!  I think the rule of thumb for combining foods is:  if it is LDL appropriate add whatever stirs up your taste buds.  Happy eating.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

you can add anything to beans.....you rinse the beans that are in cans because of the chemicals they use to preserve them....and the sodium...if i cook with canned beans, i don't add salt at all because they're already salty...years ago,i used to make soup and use the liquid from the can....if you really want to, you can, as long as there are no hidden sugars in the ingredients.....canned beans are gassier than the ones that you cook from dried beans, and they're more economical and healthier(less processing)....
    if, by the way, you're cooking from dried beans, don't add tomatoes until the beans are soft, because otherwise they won't cook...............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

shuless wrote:So it is best to rinse canned pinto beans before you use them and why?.Is there any brand  that stands out better than all of the rest? I know Roger mentioned in his book how he liked to combine (lean)ground hamburger and turkey along with beans.Would adding Rotella tomatoes be a bad thing to add.They sure add a great zing! Their ingredients are Tomatoes with juice, water,Jalapeno peppers and less than 2% of the following, Habanero peppers salt citric acid calcium chloride , spice.

shuless - I use Rotel quite often and I know that Enjae does also - I love that stuff!  Hot!  Spicy!  Yum!!! *woot*

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

One of our local Mexican restaurants has the best salsa they always serve on the table with their ultra-thin fried corn tortillas (DON'T EAT THOSE).  The flavor was so familiar, yet elusive.  It took me a long time to identify it.  All they did was whiz Ro-Tel canned tomatoes and green chilis in the blender until almost smooth.  Now I do that all the time.  I like it with chili, soups & stews, celery, every kind of beans, especially pintos (whole and mashed) eggs, STEAMED CAULIFLOWER (just for Enjae).  Sometimes I mix it about 4 to 1 with Ranch dressing for my taco meat salads.  It's really good with fat free sour cream as a dip.  You can use it anywhere you would use canned tomatoes.

Ro-Tel RULES!  (I confess, I get the generic store brand for about 59 cents for a 10-oz. can.)
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
shuless

Post by shuless »

Roger"s beans, ground beef and turkey (and my Rotella HOT tomatoes recipe is so good I had to have it first thing this morning.OK food police,lock me up!The fruit was just not going to do it this morning.
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

marysimmons wrote: It took a couple of weeks for a lightbulb to come on in my head, when I realized exactly what Pat has said.  If the ingredients are all LDL-friendly, then whip them up in recipes however you would like to, to create dishes that are delicious and nutritious suited to your palate.  Since I came to that realization, I haven't looked back. 
Mary

Anybody else VERY glad this occurred....just THINK what LDL would be like if Mary had never ventured out :)

I put diced tomatoes and green chiles in MANY, MANY things....almost any recipe that calls for diced tomatoes that isn't very Italian or something.

Blessings,
Julie