Suggestions for a crisis that is coming!!

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Suggestions for a crisis that is coming!!

Post by Gwennaford »

Tina - All kidding aside, I'm kinda sorry I opened that door on the homemade mayo.  There are a host of potential problems associated with it. 

One is the HIGH fat content.  The traditional recipe contains something like a cup of oil and one or two raw eggs.  It's difficult to imagine consuming a whole cup of THAT by yourself in a short time.   :sick:  But made into yummy mayonnaise I can easily imagine myself going through the whole batch in a day or two - made into tuna or chicken salads, dressings & "dabbed" onto tomatoes, etc.  It's a good thing I don't crave it anymore, or I might be diving in right now!  It would be easy to delude yourself that since it was 100% wholesome ingredients that you prepared, that it would be okay to eat more of it.  That would be a mistake and your weight loss would suffer.

Another problem is the potential for food-borne illness from raw eggs, especially in the summer.  Any time food temperature exceeds 40 degrees, bacteria multiply exponentially.  The commercial products are safer.

Mayo should be treated like salad dressings:  eat as little as possible, as seldom as possible, in the least fattening version that still tastes good to you.

If you still want to risk it, I'm sure there are thousands of recipes you can Google for it.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Suggestions for a crisis that is coming!!

Post by electricj1316 »

Kris!! That sounds amazing!! If I get the craving and can't satisfy it any other way I think I would love that! Thanks for the info!!

Gwennaford,
I will take your advice and stay away from it! You always have wonderful insights and information!
Thanks,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie