Protein

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
3greatgifts

Protein

Post by 3greatgifts »

I just got LDL book yesterday and pretty much read the whole thing. Have a few questions.

1) The book said no protein for the evening meal, right after it was talking about beans having lots of protein. So are we not to have beans or eggs (in a salad) for dinner since they have protein?

2) The book talks about a fruit smoothie in ch. 9, yet I cannot find any smoothies in ch. 9. Am I missing it?  :'(

I went to the fruit market and bought tons of fruit. Currently making a fruit salad to start my diet in the morning.

electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Protein

Post by electricj1316 »

Welcome 3greatgifts! I am new too and haven't received my book yet but have been doing well with all of the great people on here to give me tips until my book comes in. I am not 100% sure about your question about the eggs but I do see allot of people talking about having beans for dinner. I have just been staying away from the eggs in the evening but I will also be glad to hear what the master foodies have to say about this one. Good luck and I can't wait to here about your successes in the future!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

When you first begin LDL you can eat whatever you want, as much as you want whenever you want.  Beans are appropriate for ANY meal.  Add them to anything you want.  Your protein should be eaten at "lunch", but if that is not convenient, you can have it for dinner, with the understanding that you will go to sleep with all that protein sitting in your stomach.  When you have it for lunch, it's well on its way. Eggs are considered a light protein and you can have them for any meal, but not all the time. Make wise choices.  I have made "Betato Salad" just the way I used to make potato salad, but I've substituted drained and rinsed beans for the potatoes.  This has egg and onion and celery in it.  Please don't worry about mixing anything with anything...just eat what you want to and you will lose weight.  This is so simple.  God bless you.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi 3 Great Gifts!

Lucky you! My book has yet to arrive. Going from Florida to Seattle, and then back to Idaho takes time. I am sooo looking forward to sitting down and studying it..... So many things I read in the article in First Mag clicked, because I KNOW they're true, I just never put them together like this. Smart guy, that Roger Troy. (Led by the Lord, which is most important, and when He lends His smarts, good things happen.)

Meanwhile, I've been cruising the boards for a few days. Beans do, indeed, have lots of great protein, and lots of marvelous fiber that fills you up and makes you satisfied. We're encouraged to eat them any time, in any way, shape or form, with any meal, any time we are hungry. Even in fruit smoothies (haven't been THERE yet!  :blink: ) The protein in them is much easier for our bodies to digest than "heavier" protein found in meat products. That's the distinction between protein sources.

Ideally, to make it easier on your body, the meat products are best when eaten with lunch, or at least several hours before you go to bed. Translate that to whatever YOUR schedule is like. Don't expect to reach that "ideal" right from the start. It's a journey. And some here on the boards just don't have schedules that will allow that.

In the beginning, though, eat ANY LDL foods at any meal. Your goal is to be satisfied with whole, nutritious food that won't set you up for cravings.... until your body begins to tell YOU that it doesn't need this much food, or it would rather please have lighter fare in the evening.

I look at the basic outline: fruit or smoothies for breakfast;  protein including other LDL goodies for lunch;  supper, something light or fruit.
Then I ask my body -- are you gonna be satisfied with that, or do you need something else?

For me, fruit is ideal in the mornings. But for you, it might take some eggs, Corn Thins, huevos rancheros (minus the chips), an omelette, oatmeal, or something else. Make the best choices for ingredients that you possibly can, but eat what satisfies you.

Lunch is ideally your largest meal, with the "heaviest" protein. I'm working on getting the hang of this, because I have to prepare it the night before. Some people aren't free to have a large lunch. Others have other restrictions. Work with what you CAN do, and don't worry about what you can't do.

Supper is recommended to be light -- soup, beans, fruit, popcorn, etc. But if you (or your family) simply can't make that switch right away, start slowly. Eggs are the lightest of the animal proteins, but if eggs on the menu just won't cut it for supper, how about fish? Chicken? If nothing but red meat will fill the need, go ahead and have it. But make it as lean as you can, and provide other LDL options to finish filling you up until you are FULL and SATISFIED.

If I serve fish, chicken, or red meat to my husband for supper, I have been saving my portion for lunch the next day. Works for me -- but do what works for you.

Experiment with it. Play with it. Have fun with it. Try some of the dozens and dozens of recipes here online. Ask questions -- the food police and fellow travelers will help you make the best choices you can. Read the success stories and health related stories!! Awesome!!! They are so encouraging!

I'm having a great time with this -- and looking forward to my hubby having to pay up because he said this wouldn't work -- there's too much food involved. "Bet you $1000 this won't work." You're on, bud!  ;)

Let us know how you're doing. There's lots of help to be found here.

God bless,
Terri
Believing I Can

Post by Believing I Can »

Wow, Terri, for someone new to the program, you have a very good grasp of the concept, even without reading the book. I'm impressed! I think your husband should be saving up to pay you that $1000, because you are surely going to go all the way! 

Blessings,
Carol 
Last edited by Believing I Can on May 20th, 2009, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key.
The Eagles (Song: Already Gone)
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i know this isn't my thread or question  :teeth:  but i wanted to thank you TERRI...sooooo much!  you have really answered many of my questions! good job girl!  :thumbsup:
Sparkle
New, but learning

Post by Sparkle »

I'm still waiting on my book and reading page after page of your posts, but here is an insight from a newbie: This is simply the most helpful, polite, kind forum I have ever had the pleasure to find! I spent years on another food forum that shall not be named and was regularly appalled at the cliques and the way they spoke to one another. People CAN disagree, but you all seem to really try to do it agreeably.
I think I'm going to like it here!  :thumbsup:
Believing I Can

Post by Believing I Can »

Glad you found us, Sparkle!  :) I haven't been here a real long time, but I can vouch for the fact that everyone has been very nice, and helpful. 
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key.
The Eagles (Song: Already Gone)
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Sparkle,
I wholeheartedly agree with you!! I love it here and everyone makes you feel good and don't make you feel stupid for asking questions.
I love everybody here!!!
Glad to have you!!
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Sparkle wrote:I'm still waiting on my book and reading page after page of your posts, but here is an insight from a newbie: This is simply the most helpful, polite, kind forum I have ever had the pleasure to find! I spent years on another food forum that shall not be named and was regularly appalled at the cliques and the way they spoke to one another. People CAN disagree, but you all seem to really try to do it agreeably.
I think I'm going to like it here!   :thumbsup:

AMEN AMEN AMEN.  This is the only post I'm replying to tonight! 

I love you all -- Gwennaford
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
babyaustin
New, but learning

Post by babyaustin »

Are we allowed oatmeal? I haven't received my book yet so I am just checking?
Deb
Deb
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Steel-cut oats are allowed, but usually only as a "once in a while" meal because many have found they can stall weight loss.  I have found that if I have them about two or three times a month, I will keep losing, but more than that and I stall.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

nati23
New, but learning

Post by nati23 »

Thank you for the explanation Terri , it helped me a lot, i just order my book yesterday , i hope to get it next week.