Soy products

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
shemac
New, but learning

Soy products

Post by shemac »

Hi All!

I've always included lots of soy products in my diet, and I'm wondering how much that needs to change. I used to add soy protein powder to my smoothies, and some sugar free soy milk, too. Should my smoothies be made only of fruits and juices, or can I sub soy milk for the juice part?
Is soy in the smoothie okay forbreakfast, but not for dinner smoothies? Or, the other way around?

I somtimes have tofu at dinner...is it too much of a protein for dinner, or does it count as a bean so it is okay? I'm probably making this harder than it is, so any help is appreciated!! *hug*

Sheila
shemac
New, but learning

Re: Soy products

Post by shemac »

I did a message board search for soy protein powder, and see that it is better to eat LDL whole foods rather than processed supplements.

I'll try and use the soybeans themselves when I want some soy.

Sheila *love*
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Sheila.

Like you, I am new here, but have been cruising around the boards for a few days. Soy milk seems to be ok if used sparingly. Sometimes added to smoothies, or oatmeal, and such. If I remember correctly, the jury is still out on tofu. Some have experienced that it slows down weight loss, and others don't have a problem with it.

I guess it will be trial and error on your part to see if it fits with your new life, and what your body says about it. If I had a question on an item that had no strikes against it to begin with (too processed, questionable processing method, some form of sugar, etc) I might leave it out for a while until I had a good routine going and could see some weight loss progress. Then add it in gradually and see how things go from there. Be your own guinea pig.

So many foods affect people differently. I love cooking, and enjoy the challenge of coming up with foods that are friendly for various friends with food allergies, celiac gluten intolerance, fibro, diabetes......the list goes on!

Tofu does make a great substitute for dairy, though! I haven't used dairy milk in ages, and sometimes do add a splash of UNSWEETENED tofu milk to smoothies or soups. (Just don't tell my husband -- the very name of tofu makes him turn green. Although he usually likes it if it's well disguised or seasoned, or I don't tell him it's there!  :tongue: )

Good luck with the tofu trial!

Terri
shemac
New, but learning

Post by shemac »

Terri, thanks for responding.

You have a good point about leaving out questionable foods until I'm more comfortable with the whole way of eating.

Frozen bananas in smoothies seem to add that creamy slushiness that soy milk and protein would otherwise add. My older daughter works at Jamba Juice and she'll often bring home my favorite treat: a smoothie with fruit and soy milk, as well as soy protein. I'll have to ask her to switch me over to the all fruit and juice smoothies! :rolleyes:

Sheila
shemac
New, but learning

Post by shemac »

Thanks, will do.

I guess it takes me more than 3 readings to get it :blush:

Sheila
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I have a close friend that is the biggest health nut I know. He works out and is muscular everywhere. He always eats healthy and he told me that he read a few studies that soy products are not the best way to go because they are man made not natural. He said he always uses whey products. I am not an expert so I don't know but he does do allot of research on his foods and is very healthy. Anyone, feel free to correct me.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Whey is not great.  It is just the protein extracted from dairy.  PROCESSED  :bomb:

eat more beans  :thumbsup:
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Gwennaford wrote:eat more beans   :thumbsup:

I might need sleep Gwen.  :laughing:  For some reason this made me laugh so hard.

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.