Citric Acid

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
3greatgifts

Citric Acid

Post by 3greatgifts »

My diced tomatoes have 3g sugar, but looking at the ingredients, the only one I'm not sure of is "citric acid". Is that a type of sugar?

Day 4 today. Was at a family "memorial day" picnic, many temptations, but I stayed strong. So proud of myself.  Yeah! :thumbsup:
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Citric Acid

Post by Gwennaford »

No, citric acid is Vitamin C and it is perfectly okay on Let's Do Lunch.  It's also known as Sour Salt in the kosher foods aisle.  It's good for adding tartness without adding any additional liquid.

Just a tip -- I'm sure you are already doing this since you found the citric acid -- but we need to be looking at the ingredients first, then the Nutritional Facts for the grams, etc.  A lot of fruits & veggie contain a great deal of natural sugars and some fats & proteins just the way God made them.  We need to stay away from the unacceptable ones added during processing and you can't tell that without looking at the ingredients.

There is a list of 100 names for hidden sugars used in processed foods and a video posted here on the boards that are very informative.  Not sure of their exact titles and don't have time to search right now.  Maybe someone can do it for me?  please please please.

Anything hydrogenated is bad.  Added gluten and whey are bad.
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 24th, 2009, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Gwennie is right, 3gg.
The sugar you see in the nutrition information is naturally occurring sugar in the tomatoes. God-given.
The citric acid is just a vitamin C.
That can is fine for use. No worries.
NJ
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Here is the link to the list of 100 names for hidden sugars:
http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... 997#p25997
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Mrs. J!  The list has grown by about 10 more names -- there is an update to Tom's list, just posted today, called 101 Names for Hidden Sugars:

Thank you for watching over us!  Even though you don't stop in often enough, we know you're out there!

Loves, GWennaford
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Thanks Gwen for the update.  I've bookmarked it.

Lol, it's quite a busy site these days and more than a notion for me to keep up.  Even when I just bring up the most recent posts, I know there are some I've missed.
However, I certainly can't keep away from all the excitement of more people discovering LDL. 

I appreciate all you do,
mrsj