A Smoothie Question

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Rhea Joyce
New, but learning

A Smoothie Question

Post by Rhea Joyce »

Hi all,

I'm sure the answer to this question is in the book, but I don't have the book yet, and I'm curious... I have a breakfast smoothie that I make quite often and was wondering if I will still be able to have it once I start program.  It's very satisfying and sticks with me.  Ingredients are soymilk or almond milk, frozen banana, scoop of protein powder, and tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter.

Thanks in advance for the answer!

Rhea Joyce
Sparkle
New, but learning

Re: A Smoothie Question

Post by Sparkle »

Do any of you all ever put spinach/greens in your smoothies? I know it sounds dreadful, but its like the beans, you can't taste it, especially if you have berries in the drink. And its GOOD for you!  :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I'm curious about the greens and how much you put into your smoothies? I'm having one tonight for dinner.  :rolleyes:
Mary Ann

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Dr. Thomas Fuller
Rhea Joyce
New, but learning

Post by Rhea Joyce »

Thanks for that very quick and helpful response, Mary.  I don't know how you keep up with everyone on here, create all those great recipes, and still manage your busy life outside of this board!  You amaze me.

By the way, since you have been so successful and I admire you so much, I'd be very interested in what a sample day is like for you now that you've been following LDL for many years.

Rhea Joyce
Sparkle
New, but learning

Post by Sparkle »

MaryB, I just added about 3 huge handfuls of baby spinach to the blender as I was making the smoothie. As I said, you don't taste them, but the color of the finished product is a little...well.. :sick:, but tastes GREAT! Not for the faint of heart!  ;D
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I read where Empyrean (sp?) said when she added blueberries along with the spinach in her smoothies the color was dark enough that it didn't look weird.  

Someone else used to make green fruit smoothies frequently.  Was it EnJae?  It wouldn't look weird at all if it was all green.  I would add a bunch of green grapes to boost the sweetness.  Found this...  http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http://letsdolunch.com/boards2/viewtopic.php?p=39292#p39292
Last edited by Gwennaford on June 3rd, 2009, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
vleller

Post by vleller »

HI,

I read an earlier post where it mentioned adding beans to your smoothie, so I did last night.  MY DH thought I was crazy.  I didn't measure but it looked like it was about a 1/2 cup of pinto beans.  It was delicious and not much bean flavor at all.  Thanks for the hint. :thumbsup:

But I do have another question about the frozen bananas.  How do y'all get the frozen peel off the banana?  I ended up slicing it off with a knife - DH also thought that was funny.  Are we supposed to freeze the bananas without the peels on?  I still have two more bananas waiting in the freezer for the next smoothies that I'll have to peel.

thanks/Lynn
Lynn
Sweet_Pea

Post by Sweet_Pea »

Hi Lynn,

I slice my bananas on a cookie sheet and freeze them.  Then take them out and put in baggies and  back into the freezer.  That works real well and you can take out the amount you want each time because they don't stick together.

Hugs, Carrole
LeslieB
New, but learning

Post by LeslieB »

Hi..re: bananas,
I buy at least 2 bunches and peel, cut in 2 or 3 pieces and put on a cookie sheet and freeze.  I transfer them to a ziplock when frozen.  I do this with grapes, onions, green peppers and other fruit and it really helps to keep them from all freezing together it really isn't much more trouble.  Hope this helps.

Leslie
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Well, it was sort of me...
Some one mentioned a green smoothie that they had seen on Oprah.
It was a mixture of green fruits and vegetables.
I thought it sounded kind of gross and kind of intriguing. So I gave it a try.
I really liked it.

But I can't say that I made it frequently. I have made a few smoothies in my life. But I prefer the whole fruit.
I frequently eat an orange, an apple and a banana for breakfast.
NJ
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

if I'm in a hurry, and the bananas are starting to turn more black than yellow, I toss them in the freezer with the skin on, and to use, just split the skin with a knife, it peels right off, and then break the banana into the blender.  if I have more time, I cut it in half and put them in sandwich bags in the freezer.
vleller

Post by vleller »

Thanks - peeling, slicing and then freezing sounds so much easier than trying to cut the frozen peel off.  I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll have to find another way to entertain my DH now that I won't be peeling frozen banana skins.  :laughing:

Lynn
Lynn