Beans - drain rinse or not?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Mynx

Beans - drain rinse or not?

Post by Mynx »

I think I have seen recipes that call for draining and rinsing beans and others that say don't. Is there any reason to do one or the other health benefit wise? Not sure what is really in the stuff you'd drain out.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Re: Beans - drain rinse or not?

Post by LittlePrincess »

I always wash mine off.  But it's not because of nutrition reasons, it's because it helps with the gas issue.  Well, I take that back.  I always rinse my dark red kidney beans for the gas issues AND because they add sugar to them. 

If I am making some of the recipes on the board and they say don't drain then I don't.  Mostly because I'm scared of messing Little Mary's or someone elses recipe.  :laughing:  The only one I still rinse that says don't is the butterbean mashed potatoes.  I did find that it helps me to rinse them and I don't notice a huge change in texture etc. since I am adding IBINB spray back to them.  Hope this helps. 

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by electricj1316 »

I only rinse the ones that have sugar or fat added. The ones that are only in water, I just use these like they are.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

The only time I don't rinse and drain mine is when I am making a soup that is really a "bean soup".  Otherwise, for salads and dips, I always rinse and drain. 
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

t-rock wrote:The only time I don't rinse and drain mine is when I am making a soup that is really a "bean soup".  Otherwise, for salads and dips, I always rinse and drain. 

even if there's no sugar in the liquid, there are still chemicals....i don't know about the brand you might buy in the health food store...i'm talking about the ones i buy.....usually either goya or progresso..............years ago, when i used to make greek bean soup, i DIDN'T drain the liquid...but, i always do now....to get rid of the chemicals and to lessen the gas..some of the gas is in the liquid... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Niki! I think that is a great tip!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

I always drain and rinse the beans. It does help with the gas. Almost all the beans, except maybe organic or something (which I can't get in my small grocery store) have something added to preserve color or freshness. I figure I don't need that, so I rinse. And a lot of brands add sugar -- I had a tough time finding a brand of red kidney beans without sugar!!

If the recipe calls for the beans to be undrained, I can always add a little vegetable, beef, or chicken broth -- or even water! -- to add the moisture back in -- but that's usually after I've added everything else, and it still needs some liquid.

Beans! Good stuff!

Terri
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I have started rinsing all my beans, and if they need more liquid to puree them, or in soup I add a little chicken broth, (99% fat free of course) I don't think it makes much difference with the gas, because if we could bottle it we could solve the energy crisis :blush: :laughing:
grambonnie5

Post by grambonnie5 »

I have not had any issues with beans :shocked: at all until I had a Albertsons brand of kidney beans for lunch yesterday. I usually buy Bush or CW brand but they had the store brand on sale so I bought MANY cans. I opened a can of kidney beans added some frozen corn and no sugar Newman's Brand salsa and heated. Then sprinkled in some FF cheddar cheese. I broke Corn Thins into it and it was great and so simple. I have made this before and not had problems - but this time. Yikes! I always rinse and drain my beans as well. I don't like that slimy liquid on them.
Be pretty if you are; be witty if you can; but be cheerful if it kills you!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

grambonnie5 wrote:I have not had any issues with beans :shocked: at all until I had a Albertson's brand of kidney beans for lunch yesterday. ................ I always rinse and drain my beans as well. I don't like that slimy liquid on them.

it's just that you're maybe eating more beans than you used to(or it could be that particular brand)..your body'll adjust in time ...
try working with dried beans..it's SO much better..........and make up for the fact that it takes a little more work and make a lot and freeze some..............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
meme5
New, but learning

Post by meme5 »

no book yet. what is IBINB spray?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsKmuA6/]
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Hi meme5 and welcome.
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray is ICBINB.
Be seeing you on this journey,
mrsj