popcorn

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
therapy85

popcorn

Post by therapy85 »

Can we make our own popcorn, using a little oil, or does it have to be microwave popcorn?
EnJae
Master Member

Re: popcorn

Post by EnJae »

If you want to use olive oil you can.
But most of us have bought brown paper bags like for a sack lunch.

Open the bag up and stand it up.
Pour enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom one layer.
Now go ahead and lay the bag down and 'flatten' it.
Roll down the opening a couple of times and stick a piece of scotch tape on it to hold it closed.
Stick it in the microwave and watch it.
I put mine on high.
When the popping slows it's done.
Then you can spray it with a spray olive oil or with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Spray.
You can sprinkle it with sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, basil, garlic.... whatever you like.

[Be VERY sure to stay and watch while it is popping. It can begin to scorch the bag, then catch on fire if you neglect it.]
NJ
Gemini the Younger

Post by Gemini the Younger »

EnJae wrote:If you want to use olive oil you can.
But most of us have bought brown paper bags like for a sack lunch.

Open the bag up and stand it up.
Pour enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom one layer.
Now go ahead and lay the bag down and 'flatten' it.
Roll down the opening a couple of times and stick a piece of scotch tape on it to hold it closed.
Stick it in the microwave and watch it.
I put mine on high.
When the popping slows it's done.
Then you can spray it with a spray olive oil or with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Spray.
You can sprinkle it with sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, basil, garlic.... whatever you like.

[Be VERY sure to stay and watch while it is popping. It can begin to scorch the bag, then catch on fire if you neglect it.]
NJ

Thanks so much for the how-to!  Gonna go try it right now.  Be right back!

GEM...Booked on the

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
therapy85

Post by therapy85 »

Thank you for that helpful tip, never heard of doing popcorn that way.
bethp

Post by bethp »

This is the only way to cook popcorn now! I even take a brown bag with popcorn in it to work. For emergency or even afternoon snack, if I need it. It's also a nice security blanket because I know I always have something that is LDL friendly!
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 Image
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

I bought an inexpensive air popper from Target last week ($14.95).  I then spray ICBINB on it.  I find with the popper I bought that half of the unpopped kernals fly out (and some popcorn, too).
Gemini the Younger

Post by Gemini the Younger »

massageangel wrote:I bought an inexpensive air popper from Target last week ($14.95).  I then spray ICBINB on it.  I find with the popper I bought that half of the unpopped kernals fly out (and some popcorn, too).

Makes "Mars Attacks" seem tame by comparison, Massageangel.  Maybe you could slip a clean nylon footlet over the outlet opening and keep those little rascals in their proper (popper) place?  Hey!  Or use a clean knee high stocking instead and then you could just slip off the hoisery and nosh popcorn by the legfull.  I've gotta go email Orville...

GEM...Booked on the

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

My microwave doesn't pop popcorn well at all so I always pop mine in some olive oil on the stove!! It is great because every kernel always pops and it never burns!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

I eat lots of popcorn  *love* but I haven't tried the brown bag yet.  I do think I am going to buy stock in Orville R., though. ;D  I always have until one "diet"  :bomb: (sorry for the 4-letter word) that my boys used to say my car smelled of popcorn (ate it on the way to and from work before I retired).  Anyway, don't know what I'd do without popcorn.

Ginny