Lupini Beans

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
julie409
Master Member

Lupini Beans

Post by julie409 »

Hi everyone,

Are Lupini beans allowed on LDL? They are called Lupins in English but I have only had them the Italian way - soaked in Brine and really salty; Yummy!  The web said it is a Legume so I am thinking it may not be allowed. Verdict???

Julie :rose:
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Re: Lupini Beans

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

how do you guys find this stuff. i have never heard of this either...lol
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

AHHHH, young Lizzy, when you get to be as old ---errrr --- young as most of us are, there is not much in the way of surprises. Though I had not heard of Quinoa until my Nutritionist mentioned it. I had to ask her to spell it.  :D

As for Lupini Beans, I ate them up until adulthood when I found that all the brine really wrecked havoc with my weight.
It is used as an appetizer in the Antipasto platters we make esp. at holiday dinners. They are really yummy! They are in jars soaked in brine like olives and you eat them right out of the jar, except you have to crack open the soft outer shell first. They look a lot like Butter beans.

Hey, maybe we can add the Lupinis to the Quinoa.  ;)

MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

ooo...they sound yum!  now my mouth is watering for some green olives.  i like to drink the juice  ;)
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

julie409 wrote:Are Lupini beans allowed on LDL?

i just googled them...i've never eaten these...they ARE a legume which means they're in the bean family...it says that they're mediterranean, but they're not greek because i would be familiar with them....they must be italian.....it says that they pickle them..i've never eaten pickled beans......that's very interesting.....have you eaten them?......what did they taste like?...do they have the texture of a lima bean?...those other big beans?...fava?....i DON'T like THEM...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

They are very yummy.  :thumbsup: The consistency is very firm and you kind of eat them straight from the jar by cracking them in half in your mouth - shedding the soft shell and eating the firm meat inside. It is like the olive of Beans. Very salty though so I stopped eating them as I got older bc I cannot tolerate the salt.

If there is a section of the store with Italian stuff like caponata and giardinere (no idea if I have spelled these correctly but they are also appetizer things).

Let me know if you find them and what you think. If they are acceptable I may try them again as a treat now and then.

I have stumped the Bean Queen!  :laughing:  Can I get a *woot* *woot*  ?

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

julie409 wrote:I have stumped the Bean Queen!  :laughing:  Can I get a *woot* *woot*  ?

NOW...NOW........LET'S be gracious..........the bean queen's claim to fame is NOT that she knows everything there is to know about beans, but that she LOVES them and attributes her success on let's do lunch to them......SO....BEHAVE........because the arm of the bean queen *scyth* is far reaching :bomb:....haha  
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
LuvDisco
New, but learning

Post by LuvDisco »

I have been wondering that myself- growing up Italian in Brooklyn, I loved Lupini Beans and dried garbanzo beans, etc.! Sounds like they would be okay, but a good idea to maybe rinse them first.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

LuvDisco wrote:I have been wondering that myself- growing up Italian in Brooklyn, I loved Lupini Beans and dried garbanzo beans, etc.! Sounds like they would be okay, but a good idea to maybe rinse them first.

i'm going to say that you don't live in brooklyn anymore?...because most of the people on these boards have never eaten dried roasted chickpeas(garbanzos).......do you have access to them where you live now?
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

Julie,
How funny you asked about Lupini beans. I'm Italian and grew up with these beans always in the house. I had a post about them also about 2 weeks ago and Mary said they were fine. There is no sugar in them and I love to snack on them.
Enjoy!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

marysimmons wrote:Niki....did they leave that kind of bean out when you were studying for the Bean Queen exam?

HAHA.......but, I did NOT have to study OR take an exam to become the bean queen..............i AM the bean queen...
Last edited by niki on June 22nd, 2009, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mamavan wrote: I had a post about them also about 2 weeks ago and Mary said they were fine.

i'm sorry...i never meant to imply that they weren't fine to eat...they're beans......
Last edited by niki on June 22nd, 2009, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Mamavan,

I didn't see your post so I just had to ask.  Are you rinsing them?  I remember they were verrrry salty. 

Thanks to all for giving the go ahead on the lupini beans -- my ancestors are smiling down from heaven  :D

sfwilley56
New, but learning

Post by sfwilley56 »

how do you roast the beans girls? Thanks sfw
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

Hi Julie,
I don't rinse them. Just squeeze them out and pop in the mouth! LOL :laughing: But I suppose rinsing them would be a good idea if you don't like the saltiness. I happen to like it. I suspect after doing LDL for a while, they might become too salty for me. It is so much fun to find people who know the same crazy foods as I do. Where are you from? I was born, grew up, and still live in CT and it seems to me that foods we get in New England...can't be got in the South so to speak. My in-laws moved to NC several years ago and when we go down to visit I am surprised at how different the food is between here and there. LOL :laughing: As a matter of fact, once the fall hits up here so goes the fresh fruit. If you can get melons, peaches, etc. come fall/winter they are SO expensive.
Cheryl
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mamavan wrote: If you can get melons, peaches, etc. come fall/winter they are SO expensive.

that's why this is the BEST time of year to get started on let's do lunch....ALL the summer fruit...............although, you'll see that you manage.....apples in the fall and oranges and grapefruits.....i buy bananas and frozen blueberries from costco all year round which is pretty good.............. 
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey Mama,

Yep, a kindred spirit here.  Are you Italian --- did you say? I live in central NJ (originally from Brooklyn) and most things are available year round. I do think the different squashes may be a challenge. I will have to see how that goes. Someone said you could freeze them. Don't know if I have the fortitude.

As for the Lupinis --- I love them to death - saltiness and all but my body freaks out from it. Some "Wonderful" doctor decided to put me on water pills for my entire first pregnancy. I have been very sensitive to water retention ever since.

Do you eat eggplant as well? It is one of my favs but I had to find a way to NOT make it parmigiana ( :stop: ) What a shame!  Anyway, now I just broil them in the oven w/EVOO and a sprinkle of FF PArm.  When they are done, I toss them in a skillet with some cherry tomatoes with garlic and oil --- that was really good - I was surprised.

(Niki - I wholeheartedly agree!!!)
TTFN

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

julie409 wrote:Do you eat eggplant as well? It is one of my favs but I had to find a way to NOT make it parmigiana ( :stop: ) What a shame!  Anyway, now I just broil them in the oven w/EVOO and a sprinkle of FF PArm.  When they are done, I toss them in a skillet with some cherry tomatoes with garlic and oil --- that was really good - I was surprised.

i LOVE eggplant...on let's do lunch, i make eggplant chips....you slice them REALLY thin and put them on a cookie sheet that's been sprayed with a non stick spray.....put them on broil, turn them over once and take them out when they're brown......some of them almost come out crispy like potato chips..........LOVE THEM........
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey Niki,

I make Eggplant chips as well. I thought I invented them when I forgot they were in the oven! I also make artichoke chips  :D Yummy with lemon  :drool:

Seriously though - A restaurant in NYC sent a brochure to the office and on the front was a PILE of chips (Potato and Zucchini) and they were sprinkled with Gorgonzola. OMG! They were so delish and plentiful; it took 3 of us to finish them off. BUT we did it! So maybe we could do that with the zucchini and eggplant and the blue cheese crumbles?  Whadyathink? Huh?