Miracle Noodle

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
jlacotta
New, but learning

Miracle Noodle

Post by jlacotta »

Ok, I found this website on 'Miracle Noodles'  here is what the ingredients are:

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
* contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
* wheat & gluten free and kosher.
* Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce.
* are instant and come in a variety of styles
* have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol!

Do you think this is OK??????  I did order some to try, I have always loved anything oriental, being half asian must be the reason????
What We do does not Define Us. What Defines Us is how Well We Rise after Falling!
heretotheend

Re: Miracle Noodle

Post by heretotheend »

Are these the Shiritake noodles?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

The only noodles that I know of that's called the "miracle noodle" are shiratake noodles. They're made from yams and like their cousin, the sweet potato, are low on the GI scale. I'm willing to be a Ginni pig to find out if they affect my cravings after I've lost the weight that I want to lose of course. After all, that's the only way we're going to learn.
jlacotta
New, but learning

Post by jlacotta »

Yes, they are.  I did order them and I should be getting them next week sometime. I sure hope we can eat them on LDL???
What We do does not Define Us. What Defines Us is how Well We Rise after Falling!
Jerzygrl09

Post by Jerzygrl09 »

Please let us know what they taste like. But, from yesterday's conversations, we kind of determined sweet potato and/or yam remains a questionable food.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary, what time is dinner tonight?...LOL
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary, LOL, not yet...in two weeks...but that does sound good...maybe I can talk Bruce into making that tonight...

CQ
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

I just sent RT an email about these as I too was interested but wasn't sure if the are LDL approved. They are called Shitaki Noodles and there are different kinds. Here is what I've found including  Nutritional info on the White noodles.
I'll be interested to see if they are LDL approved.

Cheryl

The famed miracle noodle seen in several health magazines. These low-carb noodles satisfy your spaghetti cravings, and are a gluten free replacement for pasta. Shirataki Noodles are made from yams, and are naturally low in calories and carbs, plus they are an excellent source of fiber, depending on the brand you prefer. These low fat noodles are tender and absorb the flavors you cook them with.

White Shirataki Noodles for low-carb and calories.
Matsuda Shirataki Noodles for a high fiber option.
Brown Shirataki Noodles, with seaweed powder, for increased calcium and iron.
Tofu Shirataki Noodles for more calcium, a uniquely different flavor and texture.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 0
Calories From Fat 0
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0 g 0 %
  Saturated Fat 0 g 0 %
  Trans Fat 0 g 0 %
Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
Sodium 0 mg 0 %
Tot. Carbohydrate 0 g 0 %
  Dietary Fiber 0 g 0 %
  Sugar 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 0 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 0 %
Iron 8 %
NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 3 oz (85 g)
Serving per Container: approx 2.5
Net wt. 7 oz (198 g)
INGREDIENTS
Purified water, yam flour, and hydrated lime.
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

There have been a couple of discussions about these.  I don't think people here have tried them, and I don't know what the actual effect of eating them would be.  When I tried some a few years ago, I found them too much like eating raw calamari....like rubber.  (Not that I've actually eaten raw calamari....)

These noodles are one of the "I'm trying hard to find substitutes for taboo foods" that are sometimes so unsatisfying that they lead to frustration and eating off-plan.  I remember all the nasty low carb baking mixes and such that I tried......SUCH a waste of money. 

What you need to do instead is concentrate on trying a bunch of the sure-fire, approved, wonderful creative recipes there are here on the boards.  They really are fabulous, filling, and not in any way a poor substitute for the real thing.  (OK, I admit I haven't tried the beatato salad yet...that might almost fit this category......)  I've got Mary's chicken corn chowder with my southwest twist waiting for lunch and I can't type fast enough!  It's sooooo good.

Wait a while.  Eat "on plan" for three months or so.  See how you feel.  See how satisfied you are with your clothing and your complexion and your energy level.  If you really want to try the glucommanan noodles, have some, with approved meat, veggies and sauce.  See how you feel, then.  Do they cause cravings?  Weight gain?  I would tend to *doubt* that all the fiber would be a problem, but no one has really tried.  You could be a guinea pig, but not until next winter, maybe?

That being said, I want to again correct something that keeps getting mentioned.

Yams are NOT Sweet potatoes and Sweet potatoes are NOT yams.  They're not related in any way, shape or form.

I'm pretty sure none of you has ever eaten a yam (nor have I) no matter what your dear sainted grandmother called them. 

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries ... otato.html

It's just like calling Niger seed "thistle."  Niger isn't a thistle at all.  (Didn't you know I'd have to interject birds into the conversation somehow?)

To further complicate things, the plant that Shirataki noodles, also called Konjac or glucomannan noodles, are made from, is sometimes called a yam, but is not related to the family Dioscoreaceae, which are the true Yams.

Enough confusion? 

Somebody, at some time, who is WELL into his/her LDL journey, might as well try some Konjac noodles.  But at this point,  I'm not sure it's worth it.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

GH,

Now my head's spinning...that's way to much info for a Monday....LOL

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

oh, greenheron, if raw calamari taste like octopus...it's OK but I had so much wasabi on it that anything would have tasted OK....love the stuff...

CQ
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

Hi,

I  got an email from RT - saying it's sweet potato based so keep away. And Greenheron, after reading your post...my memory bank kicked in and I remember trying these a few years ago and you're right...They're packed in water and did have the feel and taste of raw calmari...I'll stick w/LDL
Cheryl
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

mamavan wrote:Hi,

I  got an email from RT - saying it's sweet potato based so keep away.

Sigh.  No, it's not.

Doesn't mean it's LDL-friendly, but it AIN'T sweet potato based.

It's not even "yam" based, technically.

Sweet potatoes are in the family  Ipomoea, which also includes Morning glories.

Yams are in the family  Dioscorea.  There are quite a few cultivated varieties, and they're a very important food staple in some cultures.

Konjac noodles, also called Glucomannan noodles, or "Miracle noodles" or Konyaku noodles, are made from the flour taken from the root of a plant in the  Amorphophallus family, not related to EITHER sweet potatoes or yams.  Konyaku powder is very commonly used as a gelling or bulking agent in manufactured foods.

From Wikipedia:

Other uses of the term yam
In the United States, sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas), especially those with orange flesh, are often referred to as yams. Why the confusion? In the United States, firm varieties of sweet potatoes were produced before soft varieties. When soft varieties were first grown commercially, there was a need to differentiate between the two. African slaves had already been calling the ‘soft’ sweet potatoes ‘yams’ because they resembled the yams in Africa. Thus, ‘soft’ sweet potatoes were referred to as ‘yams’ to distinguish them from the ‘firm’ varieties. [9] Sweet potatoes labeled as yams are widely available in markets such as those that serve Asian or Caribbean communities.

Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires labels with the term ‘yam’ to be accompanied by the term ‘sweet potato.’ Unless you specifically search for yams, which are usually found in an international market, you are probably eating sweet potatoes!

In New Zealand yam sometimes refers to the oca (Oxalis tuberosa). Kumara refers to the sweet potato.

Yam or yams is sometimes used as street slang for cocaine.

The corm of the konjac is often colloquially referred to as a yam, although it bears no marked relation to tubers of the genus Dioscorea.

In Malaysia and Singapore, yam is also known as taro.

In the Black Country in England, yam is regional dialect for "you are"

Anybody still confused?

green "yamwhatIyam" heron
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

Not confused, but like I said ... after searching my memory banks and reading all the posts on the Miracle Noodles and realizing I did have the pleasure of ordering and eating these a few years back ... I thought they were just horrible. What a waste of money...after trying them a few different ways...nothing could make them taste good. I'll just stick to the LDL foods. YUMMY!
Cheryl
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

OK...two votes against from Mamavan and me.  I don't need fake noodles in my soup when I can put in tasty stuff that's legal! :)