Dehydrated beans?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
housemouse

Dehydrated beans?

Post by housemouse »

I have some dehydrated beans in my cupboard, and I wonder if the dehydration process would make them unacceptable for LDL. I bought these for our food storage, as they rehydrate in about 15 minutes, which is very helpful if we have a power failure.

I hate to waste them, but will donate them if the dehydration process will mess up the diet. They come from Harmony House Foods, and have no additives at all.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Dehydrated beans?

Post by CodingQueen »

housemouse,

I'm not the food police but I don't see how they could be any different from dehydrated fruit, veggies or meat. When something is dehydrated the moisture has been removed to preserve the food so that the shelf life is extended. Mold and bacteria can't live without moisture. It also concentrates the flavors. I use to dehydrate fruit when my boys were younger to make them think they were eating candy. So, as far as I know, it doesn't alter the health benefits. It's just another way of storing them in our cubbards. Plus they don't take up as much room as canned beans.

CQ
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

These are fine to use, but I looked them up... they're expensive!
housemouse

Post by housemouse »

Thank you so much for answering! And, these are in my food storage for a reason. They do not take up as much room as canned, and when we have power failures, they cook up much more easily on our wood burning fireplace top. I usually buy dried beans in the bag, and save the dehydrated ones for emergencies.

Right now, on my fourth day of this diet, I am totally amazed! Two of my sisters and I are trying it, as we all need to be much slimmer. I have read the book at least twice, and am going to read chapters 2 - 6 every week to avoid any slippage into unhealthy eating.

I am not going to weigh myself, since that changes the focus from healthy eating to "did I lose any yet". I will be watching my energy level and the way my clothes fit instead.
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

great plan housemouse, God bless you  and your sisters on your journey to skinnytown.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

You know housemouse, I really hadn't thought about it but they would be a great item to have on hand here in Florida during hurricane season. The last time we lost power was about 15 years ago and we didn't have electricity for two weeks. We ran out of fuel for our grill and the charcoal ended up getting soaked even though it was stored properly. At least it would be something that we could cook really quick and not use up so much fuel or space for that matter.

CQ
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Coding Queen,

You haven't lost power in Florida for 15 years!  OMG we were only here three years when Charley, Fancis, Ivan and someone else kept coming over us.  We lost power for three hours, then eight hours, then three days.  We had my husband's sister air freight us a generator that they had purchased for Y2K that never happened and we've used it almost every year since and we live in Central Florida--not either coast--what gives?

RB Kayaking
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RB, we were living north of Ocala the last time we lost power. Now we live in Land O Lakes which is about 15 minutes north of Tampa. All of our power lines are underground. The only way we can lose power is for the transformer to be hit by lightning. Thank God that hasn't happened.

The other major hurricane that year was Jeanne. In fact, my son has a T-shirt that says, "I survived Charley, Francis, Ivan and Jeanne."

CQ
housemouse

Post by housemouse »

For any of you interested, here is the link for Harmony House dehydrated foods.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/

We live in the "snow belt" right off Lake Erie, and winter storms are very apt to take down our power lines. Plus, we frequently have 3 footer snow storms, making it tough to get to the market (closest one is 7 miles away, and the good one is 20 miles away)for fresh veggies, etc. We do live in a very rural area.

I make chili in the winter, and other soups, with all dehydrated veggies and beans. Frozen or canned meats can be the protein in these for the main meal.

They offer a variety of sizes, and I think their quality is very high. I have no affiliation with this company, and found them via an internet search. I have ordered from them several times over the past 3 years, and they ship quickly, and present themselves as a Christian family business.

I really prefer fresh fruits, regular dried beans, and fresh veggies, but these are very good for emergencies, crockpot cooking, and casseroles. Not that we are going to be eating casseroles on LDL.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I Have also found "Just Veggies" There is nothing in them but dried corn, carrots, tomatoes, peppers and peas. No salt or oils. A little pricey, but great for a quick grab at work or in the car ride home when a drivethru comes calling! They also have "Just Fruits" Trader Joes or Whole Foods carry them.
http://www.justtomatoes.com/dried_vegetables.html
Mary Ann

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Dr. Thomas Fuller
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Coding Queen,

How could I forget Jeanne.  She's the one that made the power do out for days.  I shoulda purchased the t-shirt but I was so over it by then.  We had piles of tree branches at the end of the driveway and down the street which connected with everyone else's (reminded of midwest snowdrifts) and every new storm had us holding our breath that those branches didn't come back to haunt us.

IT would be nice if they would bury our lines--but then if you dig two feet down your into water.

RB Kayaking
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RB, I wish that had been the case for us when we lived in Sparr (north of Ocala). We had to dig over 100 feet to put in our well.

We also had problems with trees and branches. It was actually a dirt road that was the back entrance to a horse farm. I remember one year we had a tree fall and the county refused to clean it up and we couldn't get out for two weeks. We didn't have anything that could handle the monstrosity of the tree truck. My boss thought that I was joking so she drove by to prove me wrong. She latter called and told me to just take my two week vacation. That really blew because we were planning to go to MN to visit his relatives that year. After that I got transferred to Tampa.

CQ