Dressing's for salads

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
rhonda67
New, but learning

Dressing's for salads

Post by rhonda67 »

I am a newbie and I am wondering what kinds of dressings you can use for salads?
greenheron

Re: Dressing's for salads

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Rhonda!

The main thing about salad dressing is to put it on the side, and dip your fork into it so you have the flavor of the dressing with each bite....just the tines, not like "scooping." ;)  You'd be amazed at how little you really need.

You also should be topping your salad with plenty of tasty, moist things so that you NEED less dressing...diced tomato, cucumber, canned artichoke hearts, mushrooms, olives, mandarine orange sections, Navy beans, water chestnuts, any combination of things to keep the salad from being too dry.

It would certainly be better if you can find low fat or fat free dressings you like, and do try to avoid any that contain high fructose corn syrup, or any sugar as one of the first few ingredients.  However, even full fat Italian dressings, vinaigrettes, and creamy dressings are fine as long as you DON'T go overboard.
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

RT recommends Newman's Own low fat or fat free dressing.  Always on the side.

Welcome to LDL
Keep on posting your questions
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
rhonda67
New, but learning

Post by rhonda67 »

Thanks very much! I am trying to get started so i need all the help I can get.  :D
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I like to make a big bowl of bean salad with low fat or fat free Italian dressing.  Then I scoop some of the bean salad onto salad greens and don't seem to need more dressing.  I also like the cilantro vinaigrette I posted in the recipes....oh my yummers, and a little goes a long way since it is so flavorful!  Make sure the salad dressing you choose doesn't have sugar and is something you really like or you won't eat salad.  Then just use it sparingly.  Welcome to LDL!  *love*
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I am not a big dressing fan, so sometimes I just squeeze a piece of lemon over my salad, I love the fresh taste it gives to greens, and if I do use a dressing, I use it on the side, and look for a low fat or fat free with very little sugar or sweet stuff in it.  (always read the ingredient list.)
NowVoyager
New, but learning

Post by NowVoyager »

Hello Rhonda.......is that you?  *woot*
I have no good advice on dressings, as I am newer to this than you are,
just wanted to say hi! haven't got my book yet, but am starting tomorrow, and will 'wing' it,
with the help of this site.
:kissed: thanks for sending me here!
cindy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTm6IS3/]
rhonda67
New, but learning

Post by rhonda67 »

NowVoyager wrote:Hello Rhonda.......is that you?  *woot*
I have no good advice on dressings, as I am newer to this than you are,
just wanted to say hi! haven't got my book yet, but am starting tomorrow, and will 'wing' it,
with the help of this site.
:kissed: thanks for sending me here!
cindy

Hi Cindy, yes my name is Rhonda ( My user name kinda gives it away doesn't it... :laughing:) Yep I am winging it also.
I am ordering the book so i'll be glad when mine arrives also. This site has alot of tips. So that is great. Good Luck!!! Rhonda
junsam

Post by junsam »

I have found a dressing that I really love:  Newam's Light Seasame and Ginger

This stuff is wonderful, and it doesn't take much to give your salad a great taste  :thumbsup:

Dorothy
    Dorothy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

You don't really have to wing in, just check out the faqs board at the top of the general discussion list, it gives good advice on how to get started until your book arrives.  God bless both of you as you start your ldl journey, and ask any questions, most everyone will try to help.  and its fun.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Welcome to LDL Rhonda and Cindy!  Mom's right its fun here. :cool:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
rhonda67
New, but learning

Post by rhonda67 »

Thank's everyone! Everybody is so friendly and helpful! I am glad to be here.
NowVoyager
New, but learning

Post by NowVoyager »

Sorry Rhonda, I mistook you for a friend from another board......however it is still nice to meet you, and i wish you all the success possible! ;D

thank you all for the warm welcome.
cindy :cool:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTm6IS3/]
Adaas

Post by Adaas »

This is probably a silly question as I'm sure it's not okay to eat, but what about fat free ranch? We have a ton of it sitting around the house and if it doesn't need to go to waste I'll have it with my salads.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

OK, Ms. Curious here again. ;)

I finally decided to start eating more salads instead of just veggies for my lunch. I had one today but I only used vinegar to moisten it. It was OK but I really wanted something tastier than that. Up until now I've always cheated by putting my dressing on the salad...I know Mary and RT, even a tiny bit is not acceptable...anyway, here's my question since I'm having to pack my lunches all week. How much should I take with me for an average salad? I don't want to take too much and have to throw it out.

CQ
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I pack lunches all the time, and if I decide to take a dressing, I usually take about a tablespoon or two in a small container, then just dip my fork in the dressing as I am eating, and I usually leave the leftovers in the fridge at work for use the next day, or if there is not much left, I take it home, and add a bit more for the next time.  God Bless as you pack your lunches and keep on keeping ldl.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Thanks, mom and Mary,

Unfortunately, I was told by management that the night shift raids the refrigerator so I shouldn't leave anything in it overnight or it probably won't be there the next day. Even containers with your name and the date on them.

There was a time when I was younger that I'd be tempted to make some exlax brownies *evil* and leave them overnight. Oh well, I guess I'm finally growing up.

I'll take about a Tablespoon and see how that works. My salads aren't that large and go from there.

Thanks again guys for all your support. It's really appreciated.

CQ
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

CodingQueen wrote:

Unfortunately, I was told by management that the night shift raids the refrigerator so I shouldn't leave anything in it overnight or it probably won't be there the next day. Even containers with your name and the date on them.

There was a time when I was younger that I'd be tempted to make some exlax brownies *evil* and leave them overnight. Oh well, I guess I'm finally growing up.

CQ

If that's what it means to grow up, I don't ever plan to.  Anyone who would steal food from coworkers deserves whatever nasty fate befalls them.

Not that I've had the opportunity to do such a thing.....but I wouldn't mind doing it.  :laughing: