Soy and weight gain and thyroid?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
julie409
Master Member

Soy and weight gain and thyroid?

Post by julie409 »

Queenie wrote:No problem!  I've been on LDL since the end of July and am down 26 pounds.  That may seem a little slow, but I hit a plateau and was unknowingly eating hidden sugars and way too much soy (that we now know either halts weight loss or even triggers a gain).  I'm now back on track and raring to go!!

Carolyn

HI everyone, I found this old post from Carloyn while I was looking for recipes.  Is this correct info?  Does Soy trigger weight gain?  I usually stay away from it bc of my thyroid but was considering it lately since there are some good soy cheese products and veggie burgers out there.

Just checking before I dive in. Does anyone know if you can eat Soy sparingly while on thyroid meds?

Julie :rose:
julie409
Master Member

Re: Soy and weight gain and thyroid?

Post by julie409 »

Thank you Mary,

You are incredible!  Thanks for responding to my issue so quickly. I really haven't incorporated any soy products into my plan but was tempted by some other post about soy veggie burgers. Anyway, I am good- no worries - not going to tempt fate esp as long as my skin is still reacting to almost anything. I did try the veggie cheese and found it flavorless. I have to check if there is soy in them - oy!

Julie :rose:
Jazmyn
Master Member

Post by Jazmyn »

yep yep it is true Julie, stay away from soy my dear. I am also on thyroid meds...imagine that!  *hug*

~Jaz  *love*
Start Date 5/18/09
6/18/09 ~ 13lbs gone
7/18/09 ~ 5lbs gone
8/18/09 ~ 7lbs gone
9/18/09 ~ 6lbs gone
10/18/09 ~ 4lbs gone
11/18/09 ~ 2lbs gone
Glen M
New, but learning

Post by Glen M »

Hello everyone!
I'm still a newbie here, but had to ask this question. What problems does soy cause for people who take thyroid medicine? I'm on Synthroid and have been eating Edamame, it's one of my favorite snacks! Is this a problem? I've been on LDL for 4 weeks.

Thanks

Glen
Jerzygrl09

Post by Jerzygrl09 »

Hi Glen:

If you have hypothyroidism you don't want to eat a lot of soy products as they can further lower your metabolic rate. But, you'd have to eat it often and a lot. I have a low normal reading and eat natural soybeans (once in a while) without any implications - I'm not on meds. Check with your doctor about this.

Vicki
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

http://thyroid.about.com/u/ua/soy/soy-t ... tm?from=lb

has input from 106 people (last I checked) about soy.  Some have no problems and some have lots of problems.

I found it interesting...
Marga