And On The Subject Of Beans ...

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
scarlett859

Re: And On The Subject Of Beans ...

Post by scarlett859 »

Has anyone tried dried green beans?

I had gotten some at Whole Foods about a year or so ago. Just a little to try, and I LOVED them but I haven't been back since. They were salty and crunchy too.

If I can find a dehydrator I might try to dry some different things.
[glow=grey,2,300]GEAUX TIGERS![/glow]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKZCQDt/]
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

The waiting part is waiting for the chick peas to roast in the oven.  I start checking them at about 30 minutes.  Try one, not chrunchie enough, then at 40 minutes--ooh! Done.

RB
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm so glad everyone is giving Two Shoes such good ideas -- and also giving ideas to each other in the meantime.  That's what these boards are all about!  Helping each other and discussing things.  :D
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi TwoShoes.

Have you tried making fruit or vegetable crisps? Thin slice zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, onion -- the list of vegie options is endless. You can also slice apples into thin rings. Spread on a cookie sheet in a single layer, season with the salt you crave, and any spices that would go well, and put under the broiler for a few minutes. To make it crunchiest, flip them over and broil the other side, too. Keep a close watch, as they can turn to charcoal quickly!

Keep in mind, though, that anything that comes out smaller and more concentrated than it went into the pot or the oven, also has more concentrated calories. Not that you shouldn't enjoy -- just use discretion!  :thumbsup:

Terri
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

Some folks shouldn't be allowed in charge of an oven, some folks shouldn't be let to play with things of an electric gadget nature, and I'm all of them.

I'd set another batch of chickpeas to roast, hadn't I, and then managed to drift off to the wonderful smell of their cooking.  When I came to, they were all darkened and a bit dry.  Not downright 'orrible, but getting there.  So I had this brilliant thought:  supposing I ground them up reeeeeeally fine then used them to coat fish with.  You know, slap the fish about in beaten egg white then cover it with this bean gunge before baking. 

What sayest thou, O venerable Food Police?

Twoshoes
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

Just a quick aside here - on another string I thanked everyone for their suggestions of crunchy things to try for late night snacks.  I really am very grateful and as Crickadoodle said, all of us benefit from this; the boundaries of knowledge are pushed forward a bit more.  Hurray for us!

This is just in case everyone didn't see that their efforts really were gratefully appreciated.  I'm glad to get a break from soups too - my teeth were feeling a bit left out which is a pity considering how much I paid for them ...

Deux Souliers (That's Twoshoes in foreign)
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Two shoes -- that sounds like chick pea flour.  Others have made that -- yours is just roasted chick pea flour.  It is used sometimes, but you have to remember that anytime you grind something, you are processing it and the whole idea behind LDL is eating foods with as little processing as possible.  In making it into flour, your body uses less calories to break it down, because it is already paritally broken down.  Make sense?  Eating foods as close to their natural state is good because your body has to work harder to digest them, thus burning more calories, thus making you smaller!  :D
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Two Shoes,

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the Soy products. It has gotten like sugar in that it is being added to everything.  If you have a minute, goggle Soy and health related issues and you will see a ton of info.  For those of us with slow thyroids it is definitely a NO! It can actually slow your thyroid down.

Be a little careful of overdoing the corn as well. We have found that having corn on the cob, corn thins and popcorn every day can slow things up. AS for other crunchy snacks When I want something salty, I make the squash fries. The thinner you make them the crunchier they will get. I broil them as well and that makes them delish.

I used to do the chick peas in the oven but today I found a faster way. I coated a non stick pan with OO Pam and threw in a can of chick peas after I rinsed and drained them. A sprinkle of garlic powder and some of whatever you wish will make them nice and crunchy. Spray again while cooking to get maximum crunch. I ate the whole batch  and they are great on my salads. Today I sprinkled some lemon and that was fabulous!  :drool:

OK one more. You  can use this for apples and pears.
You may want to try chips. They came out really yummy. Here is one of the recipes I found on WW:
  2 spray(s) cooking spray 
  2 medium pear(s), Bosch, halved, cored 
  2 medium apple(s), Gala, Red Delicious or Granny Smith, halved, cored 
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
2 Tbsp Stevia

Instructions
Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
Using a very sharp knife, or slicing blade of a food processor, slice pears and apples into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and Stevia. Place fruit slices in a single layer on baking sheets and sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, until crisp and lightly browned, about 30 to 45 minutes. Yields 1/2 of chips per serving.

Have fun!  OK off to exercise!

Julie :rose:
malmq

Post by malmq »

once you have toasted your garbanzo beans, how do you store them so they don't get "soft" ?