And On The Subject Of Beans ...

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Twoshoes

And On The Subject Of Beans ...

Post by Twoshoes »

I recall reading somewhere here, a comment or an aside, indicating soya beans (other than roasted as a snack) aren't a good idea.  Not LDL or something.

If not why not?

Twoshoes
niki
Administrator

Re: And On The Subject Of Beans ...

Post by niki »

Twoshoes wrote:I recall reading somewhere here, a comment or an aside, indicating soya beans (other than roasted as a snack) aren't a good idea.  Not LDL or something.
If not why not?

if you have an underactive thyroid you shouldn't eat them.....i gained weight when i was strictly on let's do lunch because i was eating soybeans....there is a lot of hype about it even if you DON'T have an underactive thyroid....everyone should use their own discretion.......
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Maybe that's your and my problem and we didn't know it.  I've been eating the yeck out of soy nuts and so have you.  Be both should try stopping them for awhile.  I finished mine off yesterday and I'm not going to buy any more for awhile.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

You know what?  You might have a point there, Tonz my old Beauty, we have been sucking them back with quite some ferocity, haven't we?  Right.  No more soya nuts, then ... but what do we do about the munchies that strike at about the same time the clock strikes nine and Midsomer Murders or Doc Martin comes on the telly?  Sometimes grapes don't do it when your face fancies something salty.  And mine ALWAYS does.

Twoshoes
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

*tiptoes in and whispers*  Popcorn!!!  ;D

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by redkat »

I second the vote for popcorn.  I never really ate popcorn (not even at movies) until I started LDL.  Now I love it.  I like cinnamon/splenda on my popcorn best!

Kathy
Kathy
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Popcorn is also great with pumpkin pie spice and stevia :angel:!  Pam
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

Yebbut ... yebbut ... yebbut ... how do you get over the sensation of chewing one of those polystyrene cups with every mouthful of popcorn?  And that wonderful feeling when the little brown husk bit gets stuck to your soft palate at the back and you try, oh-so-politely, to dislodge it and end up shoving your entire fist down your own throat?

Just asking ...

Twoshoes
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

With us in the continental US eating popcorn is like eating apple pie  *evil* We have no problems with eating the "polystyrene cups" as you put it.  Dental floss-must use dental floss after eating it  *hug*
redkat

Post by redkat »

Tonz is right, dental floss helps and drinking water while eating popcorn.  I guess for someone like myself that used to eat those popcorn and rice cakes and love them, real popcorn is like desert!!

Pam, I like the idea of pumpkin pie spice.  Hadn't thought of that one yet.  OOOHHH, can't wait to try some apple pie spice, too.

Kathy
Kathy
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

Well, I guess that's ME told then.  Perhaps I ought to persevere with it, perhaps it's an acquired taste and perhaps one of these days a liking for it will kick in....

You never know.

In the meantime, anybody know of any other LDL salty type snacks that've been discovered?

Twoshoes
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Two shoes, I wouldn't eat soy beans, after some things CQ posted a while back.  Like Niki said, people have different opinions on it, but I personally am not going to start eating something I never needed before if there is a doubt about it. 

Also, if you don't like popcorn, don't eat it.  We need to find something for you that you are satisfied with. (Personally, I love popcorn, but my weight loss is never as good when I eat it.  That's me.  We are all individuals and the beauty of LDL is that we can find a way to adapt it to our individual tastes.) 

I find that if I am still hungry and I start eating grapes, eventually I can't eat another thing.  It really fills me up.  If you like grapes, try that.  Now, as far as snacking, I don't do that anymore.  I don't need to.  I know you aren't there yet, but maybe grapes would work for that.
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Twoshoes, have you tried roasted garbanzo beans (chickpeas)?  They're pretty tasty and cheap, too.

Drain and rinse one or two cans, season with your favorite herbs or spices, and pour onto a baking sheet.  Put in the oven at 400 degrees and bake for 45 min. to an hour.  Shake pan or stir beans every 15 min.  Cool and eat.  They get pretty crunchy.  I like Creole seasoning on mine!!

There is also a recipe for crisp kale and crisp eggplant that sounds good.  I haven't tried them yet, but hope to soon.

Good luck on your quest!
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

The roasted garbanzo beans sounds great. 
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

Is there anything more frustrating than writing a whole reply to something, posting it, and finding it's disappeared into the ether?  That's what happened to me and now I can't remember what I said.  Never mind, I doubt it was deathless prose anyway.

Thank you so much, O2bthin, for the suggestion on the roasted beans (which even as we speak, are in the oven roasting away like good'ns) and the crispy kale.  I bet that tastes like fried seaweed (hey!  Don't knock it till you've tried it!) which I love, and the eggplant's something to be considered too.  Anything I can pile with salt's a good idea ...

I appreciate these ideas, they're brilliant!

Twoshoes  (Now let's this if THIS blighter posts nice).
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I vote for roasted chick peas.  Drizzle them with flavored grapeseed oils (garlic, lemon, basil and hickory), add your favorite spices and wait.  Yummie, yummie.

RB Kayaking
Twoshoes

Post by Twoshoes »

Wait?  Wait for what, RB?  Do you do the drizzling before or after you stick them in the oven?  Sounds amazing - I've got some wonderful roasted sesame oil that would make the gods smile - perhaps a spritz of that and a fistful of salt ...

Twoshoes
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

I've done the garbanzo beans roasted and really enjoy them. Hope this one works for you.

Another snack I've found that I love and to be honest haven't run it past the food police but think it is LDL is Glad corn. It is like cooked and roaste corn. But I bought mine at the healthfood store and not every health food store has them. But when I am on the road and I just have to snack while I drive down the road, This really is a great crunchy salty treat.

A few raisins sometimes works for me. what else? hmmmm . I do snack quit a bit on popcorn but then I like it. I second the vote that if you don't like it don't eat it.

Can't think of anything else right now if I do late will let you know.
Keep up the determination. Know you will find your match for snacks sooner or later. It took me awhile too.

the best,
Bobbi
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Sorry, Twoshoes.  Drizzle with oil BEFORE putting in oven - helps the seasoning to stick.  Hope I haven't ruined your garbanzos.

Brilliant idea, yes.  But, not mine.  I stole it from others on the forum.  *evil*
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

If salt is not an issue for you, I like cucumbers sprinkled with salt.  Now, I know it's not potato chips :stop: but it satisfies me in the same way.  I have the crunch and the salt and it doesn't really take much salt.

I'm gonna have to try these roasted garbanzos too.
mrsj