beans & corn - complete protein

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Country Girl

beans & corn - complete protein

Post by Country Girl »

I have a question about complete protein.  Someone had posted on here that beans and corn together make a complete protein.  What exactly does this mean?  Does it count as a protein like meat would?  I'm wondering if I am eating too much of beans and corn mixed together.  :wrong: I've looked in the book and did a search, but I'm not having any luck!  Thanks for your help! Country Girl    :D
tprouty
Master Member

Re: beans & corn - complete protein

Post by tprouty »

Hi Country Girl!

Basically, there are a handful of amino acids (protein building blocks) that your body does not manufacture for itself, and must get from food sources. When you eat a protein from an animal source, (meat, eggs, etc), you are eating all of those amino acids together. Most vegetable sources will have some of the amino acids, but not others. Don't let that scare you, as it isn't a problem at all, if you eat a variety of foods over the course of several days. However, beans and corn together simply supply all of those amino acids. I don't think the book mentions this.

You still would not count it a "heavy" protein, however, like meat, as vegetable sources of protein are more easily digestible. Eat as many servings of corn and beans as you can hold! It will decimate any cravings for pasta, breads, and such! The fiber and resistant starches in beans and corn make them especially helpful for losing weight. Go for it!  :thumbsup:

Terri
Country Girl

Post by Country Girl »

Thank you for your quick response and very thorough answer!!  I love the beans and corn mixture!  I knew someone would be able to help me here.  That's one of the reasons this WOE is so great --- the support here is terrific!  Thanks again!  Country Girl  :D
Carole H
New, but learning

Post by Carole H »

tprouty, You seem knowledgeable about the science of protiens, etc.  Should we be careful to eat complete proteins in order to prevent muscle loss?  We want to make sure the loss is fat not muscle. Carole
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Carole.

Hopefully CQ (Coding Queen) will chime in here, too, as she is our resident information person! I just remember various things I have read about proteins and metabolism over the years. I've been really fascinated by body chemistry and such for a long time, but Let's Do Lunch is the program that really makes the most SENSE, and is so simple and easy to follow. There is NO frustration or feelings of deprivation when following this plan, and that is what makes it right for me! Even if I never lose another ounce (but I know I will), I am sticking with the LDL program because I feel so good.

Anyhow, I don't think a person needs to be too concerned about focusing on complete proteins. Except for a few of the amino acids, our bodies manufacture most of the rest of the protein spectrum that we need. If we eat a reasonably varied diet, we'll get plenty of everything else. Truly, every food, from vegetables to fruits to beans to......whatever else you can think of......has some amount of protein in it. You will get enough, and it will be complete if you have a variety of sources. People can even eat a vegetarian diet on Let's Do Lunch, and be successful and healthy and get plenty of protein.

It is when you starve your body of nutrients and calories that you get muscle loss instead fat loss. Honest! Not once since starting LDL have I felt exhausted or weak or just too tired to do anything, all of which are sure signs you're not getting enough calories. My weight loss has been fairly slow, but steady, and I am continually losing inches in a very balanced fashion, all over my body -- even in the "trouble" spots. That assures me that I am losing fat, not muscle tone.

This is really the simplest, most sensible way of eating on the planet, I think. Unless you decide to eat only one food exclusively for the next month, getting a balanced amount of proteins, vitamins, minerals, and all the micro-nutrients should not be any kind of a problem at all. This is a really healthy lifestyle! You'll love it!

Enjoy the journey...... I certainly have been!
Terri