Fustrated right now

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Patapples

Fustrated right now

Post by Patapples »

This morning I had my first smoothie.  It consisted of 1 c. orange juice, 1/2 banana and a few frozen strawberries.  It filled me up and I felt satisfied but about 20 minutes later I started shaking and became confused.  I ate 1/2 c egg beaters and I finally settled down.  It looks like I can't have smoothies after all.  What can I have instead?  I think the reason this happened is because I haven't eaten sugar or sugar products in many years.  It was just too much fruit sugar at once.  Because of this I feel unsettled now and wondering if I can do LDL. 
godstemple

Re: Fustrated right now

Post by godstemple »

Sorry about what happend, I pray you find a solution.  I have only been doing this for 2 weeks, maybe some of the others who have been on here longer can provide an answer.  I will be praying with and for you.

Blessings
God's Temple
Linda1930
New, but learning

Post by Linda1930 »

I pretty new to this but I think if you look at suggestions/recipes for breakfast on this site it will give you other alternatives.  I read one that suggested fat free refried beans and eggs.  Egg omelette's with chopped vegtables, etc. & fat-free cheese; maybe some tasty bean and vegtable stir-fry.  I know what you mean about eating high sugar for breakfast - I was never able to have just pancakes or donuts for breakfast.  That kind of stuff always left me kinda shaky and famished shortly afterwards.

Try not to get too discouraged, I've seen the support this group offers.  Like I said on my recent post; I know God did not lead us to this just to fail.  He wants us to be able to live the best life possible - He isn't a FATHER that offers hope then snatches it away. :thumbsup:
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Patapples wrote:This morning I had my first smoothie.  It consisted of 1 c. orange juice, 1/2 banana and a few frozen strawberries.  It filled me up and I felt satisfied but about 20 minutes later I started shaking and became confused.  I ate 1/2 c egg beaters and I finally settled down. 

this can't be the first time you've eaten fruit OR sugar.....this has never happened to you before?
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Patapples

Post by Patapples »

Thank you Linda, I am glad you reminded me about the Lord directing me here.  I will keep trying.

The only time I have felt this way before is when I have waited to long to eat.  I do eat fruit everyday, but with a protein.  I think that if I add a protein in the morning and have fresh fruit or half a smoothie I may be okay.  It just upset me this morning that I couldn't do it the way I read on the 14 day menu suggestions.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I would just eat the fruit whole and forget the smoothy.  The closest to its natural state causes your body to have to break everything down to digest it.  My mom is diabetic and one of the things they say to give her if her blood sugar dips low is orange juice -- so that means it is very high in sugar.  The more your body has to break the food down, the more calories you are burning -- so think of that when choosing what you'll eat. 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Patapples,

I would eat whole fruit for breakfast (takes longer to digest than a smoothie) with some protein (an egg or some beans) until full but if you're really in the mood for a smoothie, make it without juice (use ice cubes) and add white beans (you can't taste them) for the protein. Remember, the longer your body has to digest something, the longer you will feel full. After you body has adjusted to this way of eating you probably will no longer need the protein at breakfast.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 13th, 2009, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Patapples wrote:This morning I had my first smoothie.  It consisted of 1 c. orange juice, 1/2 banana and a few frozen strawberries.  It filled me up and I felt satisfied but about 20 minutes later I started shaking and became confused.  I ate 1/2 c egg beaters and I finally settled down.  It looks like I can't have smoothies after all.  What can I have instead?  I think the reason this happened is because I haven't eaten sugar or sugar products in many years.  It was just too much fruit sugar at once.  Because of this I feel unsettled now and wondering if I can do LDL. 
I honestly don't know the answer.  I just have my suspicions.  I suspect the orange juice as the problem.  I've never tried it in a smoothie because it has given me shakes in the past.............this was a long time ago before LDL.  If it were me, I would try it with a different ratio.  Use the whole banana instead of 1/2 and dilute the oj with water or maybe even try it with just water...........or as CQ said use ice cubes & a few white beans.  It really is amazing that you can't taste the beans.

I also use iced tea a lot in my smoothies or apple juice when I make the apple pie smoothie. 
It's not the season for watermelons but I also love frozen watermelon in a smoothie.  It adds a lot of liquid and sweetness to a smoothie.

Patapples, I'm betting you can still do LDL.  Keep looking for what will work for you.  Whether it's a different smoothie or no smoothie, whole fruits or only certain fruits, or any of the recipes from the breakfast section, there are LDL foods that will work for you for breakfast.  I look forward to your discovery of what that will be.
Wishing you less frustration soon,
mrsj

wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I am also very new to this way of eating.  I tried fruit smoothies the first 2 mornings and had problems.  This morning I had the low fat refried beans with cheese & 2 eggs.  I was not only very satisfied but almost forgot to eat lunch.  I ate whole fruit for breakfast also and it did not make me really tired and bad feeling like on the first 2 mornings.  I ate my smoothie tonight with my popcorn and I didn't have a problem with it like I did in the morning on an empty stomach.
Don't get discouraged if you look through the recipes there is something great that can be ate at every meal.  My husband has been eating bean soup(thick) for breakfast with his fruit.  I am like so many others on this site that had been seriously praying to God to help me find help to lose weight.  This is definately the answer I got straight from heaven.
Tomorrow will be a better day and each day after will get better and better.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

crickadoodle wrote:I would just eat the fruit whole and forget the smoothie.  The closest to its natural state causes your body to have to break everything down to digest it. 

that's my call, too....anyway, i ALWAYS eat the whole fruit...i've never had a smoothie.....just what cd said...your body works harder to digest it and you stay fuller longer.....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Pat, Welcome to LDL!

I agree with CQ *hug* .

The whole fruit will stabilize your blood sugar. You should check with your doctor as you may be hypoglycemic.  Stick with the whole fruit and have an egg. The light protein will help as well - prevent the shakiness. There are enough choices on the LDL foods list to make this work for anyone. I have allergic reactions to tons of stuff and I still am finding my way to better health. Some weeks are more challenging than others, But I am down almost 50 lbs now in 5 months.  This will work for you. Remember to keep a food journal - and record all you eat during the day ( in a book that you can carry around with you) and how you feel after you eat it. That will help you in figuring out what works for you. And you can show your doctor as well, if needed. We often forget our symptoms as soon as the doctor walks in the room.

BTW, the smoothies do not work for me either.

Julie  :rose:
Roadglide

Post by Roadglide »

Don't be frustrated.  Where theres a will there is a way.  It may be just too much natural sugar all at once too soon in the morning.  THIS PROGRAM WORKS!  It can work with you too.  :thumbsup:
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

julie409 wrote:The whole fruit will stabilize your blood sugar. You should check with your doctor as you may be hypoglycemic. 

Remember to keep a food journal - and record all you eat during the day ( in a book that you can carry around with you) and how you feel after you eat it. That will help you in figuring out what works for you.

BTW, the smoothies do not work for me either.

hypoglycemia's a good possibility...but, that would have shown up all this time(i'm not sure how old you are)in routine blood work.....or EVEN the response of your body to eating concentrated sweets.....
journal's a great idea...
i would like to take this opportunity to say there are more people on these boards that don't drink smoothies and eat the basic plan than there have ever been in the past...when i first came on let's do lunch, i might've been the only one that DIDN'T drink smoothies....AND, at that time, people would complain that they weren't losing weight and would write down what they were eating and couldn't understand why polaner's and cornthins before bedtime weren't a good idea...and now HERE there are SO many people who REALLY eat the most basic plan, like i have always done and are getting great results.....well done, guys..........bq 
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Hey Patapples,

A whole cup of oj in a fruit smoothie is a lot.  I rotate from drinking a smoothie (made with a banana, a cup of strawberries or other fruits and some water) usually when I have to be somewhere early, to eating the whole fruit, right now I'm on a heated peaches kick.  I peeled and froze a ton of ripe peaches this past summer and I just take out a bowl full and nuke them.  Probably next week I'll be a bean humus, nuked egg and corn thin kick.  It all works.

Experiment with what you like to eat that's LDL approved and the weight will come off.  Get rid of your scales so that you don't get fustrated when someone says, "I lost so much this week" and you jump on your scale and it hasn't moved.  Trust how your clothes are fitting, trust what others our saying and trust that God led you here for a reason.

RB Kayaking
Patapples

Post by Patapples »

I want to thank everyone who posted answers for me.  It has given me new hope.  I will try eating whole fruit or a different juice but less of it with an egg.  I am lucky in a way as I do have frozen strawberries, rasberries and boysenberries that I froze this summer from our gardens.  I did buy and freeze some bananas and grapes.  I wish I had some cantalope but they have now gone up in price. 

I have quite a few butternut squash and I made the soup using the butter beans, it is very good.  I fixed an easy chicken breast lunch.  I place a chicken breast in aluminum foil, sprinkle taco seasoning lightly on the breast then add some salsa on top and 1 slice of ff sharp chedder cheese.  Wrap it up and bake at 400 degrees for aproximately 30 min.  Or I put it in a zip lock steam bag and microwave it for 3  min.  if I am in a hurry.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am new to this also and I also have had trouble with my blood sugar bottoming out if I ate any carbs in the morning. If I waited until after 10 am I could eat any carbs (even sticky gooey ones) without my blood sugar bottoming out. This was very troubling for me working as a nurse because the dizzines and shakiness would hit me in the middle of passing meds to my patients (around 9am) if I ate even just toast or cereal in the morning. Sometimes I would feel I was going to pass out, so I would have to get something really sweet and wait it out for 15 min or so when my brain would recover from a fog. Needless to say, this was not conducive to good patient care. So I ended up dringking coffee only in the morning. Now that we are back raising chickens, I have a couple eggs every morning. We have been having eggs every morning even before hearing about LDL and DH and I have both been loosing weight. I eat the eggs around 6 am and it holds me until 12:30 or so when I finally get a break for lunch. Since starting LDL I have started taking some carrots or whole fruit to eat if I do get hungry before noon and I am still loosing. So it is possible to vary the plan and still loose weight and be healthy. I feel so much better having eggs only early in the morning. The Lord will show you how to eat and not feel physically bad. As others have said some of this may pass as your body adjusts to the new way of eating.
Last edited by LINDA RN on November 14th, 2009, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Pat welcome to LDL, You have gotten lots of great advice so won't add anything. Just keep searching for what works for you. I only occasionally have a fruit smoothie as I prefer to eat my fruit rather than drink it.

You can do this. This is the best and healthiest eating plan around. And best part is It works!

Hugs,
Bobbi
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Pat,

I have been eating eggs for breakfast from day one of this WOE and still lost weight consistently. I have either an egg fried in olive oil and some heated refried beans that I top with Tostitos Chunky Salsa or a veggie omelet. In addition to this I always have a banana and another piece of fruit.  I have even eaten bean soup for breakfast!

Vicki
Dianalee

Post by Dianalee »

Like Vickilynn, I have had eggs with salsa for breakfast from the start. I tried fruit, but due to hypoglycemia it made me shaky.  I use egg and eggbeaters to bulk it up, sometimes refried beans (not that often). As of yesterday 70lbs. gone since June 1st.  However, I have smoothies most every night for dinner. In the beginning I had to add whey  powder, but after a few weeks I no longer needed it. I haven't posted what I've been eating because I didn't want to be a stumbling block for anyone. Then I read about people with hypoglycemia having a problem and I couldn't not respond. Stick with it!  It REALLY works!!!!!!
Last edited by Dianalee on November 14th, 2009, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.