Soup and gain weight

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
WOOJNOCK48
New, but learning

Soup and gain weight

Post by WOOJNOCK48 »

Whenever I eat soup I notice a small weight gain.
Breakfast Iusually have fruit. But this time I had a smoothie with a banana, peach, apple juice, and protein powder, coffee with non dairy creamer.  Lunch I had Nike's bean soup with some ground meat.  Dinner, I had a lg fruit salad.  Snack, I had a bowl of grapes.  I don't know what I did wrong. Help!!! :'(
Normally I don't eat the beans.  Instead I usually eat 2 meat portions and a veggie, and I lose weight on those days.  Whats happening?
LovinLDL

Re: Soup and gain weight

Post by LovinLDL »

It sounds like to me that you are weighing daily which really doesn't work...hard to tell how you are really doing.  Please, just trust the plan and stop getting on the scale.  Weigh in about a month if you must.  You really shouldn't need the protein powder and it certainly could be stalling weight loss.  Also, the creamer is not great for weight loss.  The rest of your day looks great!  Please stick with it....give it some time...you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Blessing,
Julie
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

OK, I'm probably going to get smacked here but I'm willing to give my opinion.... I've noticed the same thing happening with me as well. According to one of the docs that I work with it's because I'm a Type O blood type and need more red meat than beans to make me lose weight. According to him, I really need to limit my bean intake and increase my protein. He went on to say that the reason why the Adkins diet worked was because the majority of Americans are type O and require very little carbs, therefore, they lost weight.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 27th, 2010, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veropaga
New, but learning

Post by veropaga »

Codingqueen, I am a blood type O as well, then the soup and flush days are not that advantageous for us, we should be better off eating more lean meats instead! What do you think?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am type O and noticed the same thing as well. I also notice more water retention with the soups but I figured it was because of using canned tomatoes, etc not to mention needing salt to the soups to be palatable. DH is type A and does so well on the beans. He grew up eating them and always stayed thin. I let him cook them (because he offered) and ate them in the eve with him and still lost weight mostly because it eliminated the other processed stuff I used to eat. I read about eating according to your blood type and wondered if it was just another fad but something in it rang true, so I sorta tabled it in my mind. Since I really love the soups, and am not gaining, I was OK with it. I noticed when I was eating a large fresh salad everyday (before LDL) I also was not loosing. Hummmmm..... Only doing the soup at lunch and fruit and popcorn at other times has helped now that my blood sugar has stabilized, but still no significant weight loss. Guess this is something else I will have to "phase in" but will let you know if I do it and if it changes anything. Next week I thought I would do some stir-fried recipes with other veggies.
Last edited by LINDA RN on March 27th, 2010, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
WOOJNOCK48
New, but learning

Post by WOOJNOCK48 »

Yes, I weight myself every day just to see if I'm eating the wrong things, and I change it.  I don't mind a stand still, I just don't want to gain.    :sad:  I am a type A which are supposed to do well on a vegetarian diet.  I do notice that when I do fruit for breakfast and dinner, lots of lean meat and a veggie for lunch, and grapes as a late snack, I lose weight. Every time I have eaten the beans, I gain. I don't get it.
Now for the smoothie, I only did it because I didn't want to lose the fruit I had.  I guess I should have looked at the boards for a good recipe. The coffee, I usually use milk, so I figured non-dairy would be ok.  I will stop the coffee for now.  I have a gathering tonight with our churches single's group.  There will be all kinds of good tasting and fatening foods.  Thankfully my best friend and her husband who are our group leaders, is also my accountability partner will be there, and I will not dare even try to cheat.  I'm really glad she is a big supporter.  :thumbsup:    She even calls to tell me what she is preparing when we have a leadership meaning, so I can prepare my special meal.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

You are very blessed to have someone in your life who cares so deeply about you.  It is a great idea to have someone who helps us be accountable when we get weak.  You will do great and I can see from the boards you are getting wonderful advice and support.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

veropaga wrote:Codingqueen, I am a blood type O as well, then the soup and flush days are not that advantageous for us, we should be better off eating more lean meats instead! What do you think?

The flush days are very good for us to help eliminate toxins. I just don't use beans in my soups...just vegetables.

The rest of the week I eat more lean red meat than chicken, turkey or fish at lunch and every now and then I'll have some type of bean soup as well...2-3 times a week.

The other thing he told me to do was to only use the foods allowed for my blood type. I've already realized that corn and popcorn stalls my weight loss and they're not allowed for my type. So, I've gone through the list of foods that are beneficial for my type and am trying to eat more of them. For example broccoli is highly beneficial..so I use it in my flush soups, a raw salad or a cooked side dish. Pinto beans and kidney beans are not allowed and I was making a lot of soups using those which probably explains the weight gain. Now I'm using more black beans and Great Northern beans just to name a few.

By the way, coconut oil is not allowed for any blood type. I also asked him about that, too. He said that he agreed with Dr. Mercola regarding the use of it because most people cook with the heat too high. But if they would learn to only use medium to medium low heat when they cook that olive oil would be best.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 27th, 2010, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOOJNOCK48
New, but learning

Post by WOOJNOCK48 »

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to check my blood type book especially for the beens.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Depending on the date your book was printed it may not be accurate. Dr. Peter D'Adamo's website is the most up to date.

It's www.dadamo.com

Click on "Get Support" and then "TYPEbase Food Values" to get a list of all the foods. The ones that state "neutral" under your blood type are fine to eat but you really want to use more of the ones that state "beneficial" to lose weight.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 27th, 2010, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Wooo,,, don't like that site, LOL... most things I love it says to avoid for my blood type! 

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I know what you mean. That's probably why I have a weight problem. I'm Cajun and was raised on red beans and rice...a big "NO NO."

CQ
leisuregranny

Post by leisuregranny »

CQ,

I didn't realize you were cajun. So am I. Where are you from?  I'm from south Louisana, not far from Crickadoodle.  We cajuns do battle our weight, don't we?  I guess it's 'cause we love to eat.  LOL  I, too, was raised on beans and rice, and fried eggs and rice.  I've been reading about the blood types, and how certain blood types do better on certain types of foods.  Is this something I should look into?  I've been doing LDL for about two months now, and I seem to keep going back and forth with the same 5 pounds.  I don't know how to break the cycle.  I don't eat a lot of beans, mainly because complex carbs have always been a problem for me weight wise.  Maybe I should just limit them.  We'll be going camping for two weeks, and won't have any freezer space to keep soups, and only a small dorm fridge to keep some foods.  Not a lot of room at all.  Not sure how I'm going to handle LDL during that time.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Blessings,
Sylvia
IF WE MEET AND YOU FORGET ME, YOU HAVE LOST NOTHING. 
BUT, IF YOU MEET JESUS AND FORGET HIM, YOU HAVE LOST EVERYTHING!

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Sylvia,

I was born in Florida but my father was from Abbeville. My grandparents moved to Florida when my father was 5 years old because my grandfather couldn't find work. They ended up in Jacksonville for awhile and then later moved to Anthony. That's where John Travolta lives for anyone who cares... :laughing:

I would probably take fruit and vegetables that don't have to be refrigerated...like bananas, grapefruit, apples, onions, tomatoes, squash, etc. That way you'll have more room to store your meats for you lunch. You can always saute some onions and/or squash with your meat and make a sliced tomato salad as another side dish. I'm sure you'll be able to think of other things to do. Maybe Little Mary might have some wonderful suggestions as well.

I think the reason why I have been going up and down with my weight is because I've been eating the right and the wrong things. So, in other words, they've been cancelling each other out. Now that I'm eating only the right things and limiting the amount of beans that I eat at lunch, plus eating eggs for breakfast for the extra protein for my blood type, I'll be able to finally reach my goal.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 27th, 2010, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

By the way, I must have had another blonde moment... :laughing:  I forgot to mention that Kombu (kelp) is highly beneficial for type O blood types. It contains natural iodine that's quite useful for the treatment of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is very common among type O's and often hinders our weight loss.

Tori, also known as Red Lion Lass, uses Kombu for the base of her soups instead of chicken or beef broths. I've used it in my Asian soups but never as a base for a regular soup. That's something that I'm definitely going to try in the near future since I don't always have the time to make home made broths/stocks and the canned broths contain MSG. Plus, with the Kombu you won't need to add as much salt..if any...since it's naturally salty to begin with because of being a sea vegetable. There's also another thread that states that Kombu is great to use when cooking beans to prevent gas issues.

Seaweed salad is another favorite of mine when I have fish.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 27th, 2010, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

I'm type O blood and lose weight well with meat and/or beans.  Don't notice a difference if i eat more beans or more meat.  What I do notice hindering me is the popcorn (which I love), so I have not had popcorn in awhile.
Debbie B
leisuregranny

Post by leisuregranny »

Thanks, CQ.  I plan on having lots of fruit, especially the kind that doesn't need refridgeration.  I love sauteed onions and mushrooms, so that will be easy enough.  I just won't be able to have much fruit like blueberries or strawberries, or any kind of fruit that needs to be kept cool.  I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Abbeville, is a little further west than me, but probably just as close to the gulf as we are.  I am about 45 miles southwest of New Orleans, between Houma and Thibodaux.  We used to be an hour and a half from the coast, but after all the hurricanes of the last 30 years, we are now only about 45 minutes away.  A few more hurricanes like Katrina and Gustav, Houma will become the new seaport.  LOL  Our property is about 9 feet above sea level, so we're pretty safe from tidal surge here.  I'm 60 years old, so I figure that by the time I have to worry about flood waters, I'll be long gone from this earth.  LOL

Thanks again for the advice.

Blessings,
Sylvia
IF WE MEET AND YOU FORGET ME, YOU HAVE LOST NOTHING. 
BUT, IF YOU MEET JESUS AND FORGET HIM, YOU HAVE LOST EVERYTHING!

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Sylvia,

I know exactly want you mean. We're only about 45 minutes from Sand Key in Clearwater (depending on who's driving... :laughing:)  but with the hurricanes every year the coastline keeps changing.

I miss LA. My father use to take us home during the summer holidays to visit our relatives. It's not the same with him gone now.

Debbie,

Just give up the popcorn. I know it's hard because when I first started LDL I thought this would be a breeze but I later found out that I would have to give up a lot of the things that RT ate while losing his weight. Like blue cheese crumbles...I'm better off with feta cheese.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 28th, 2010, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, I had to put bananas on hold. Now the popcorn popper got put away today. We will see what happens after being off the popcorn.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...