Fruity Soy Butter - please let me know what you think

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
kwilliams
New, but learning

Fruity Soy Butter - please let me know what you think

Post by kwilliams »

I found this recipe to help replace peanut butter.  I know it would have to be eaten sparingly, occaisionally due to the dried fruit...but what do you think...

1 cup salted soy nuts
5 TBSP EVOO
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

Place soy nuts on a baking sheet and place in oven at 350 degrees for approx. 10 minutes turning once.  Heat until golden brown.  Cool 5 minutes.  Place the nuts and 4 Tbsp. of EVOO in a food processor or blender and process for 1 minute.  Add remaining EVOO and the dried apricots and blend until spreadable.  Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerater.  Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.  (Stir if oil collects on the top.)

My first attempt wasn't perfect.  I didn't read thoroughly and I blended the apricots and soy nuts at the same time.  Mine is not very spreadable - but it did taste good. 
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about...
lpomlove

Re: Fruity Soy Butter - please let me know what you think

Post by lpomlove »

I hope this works, I know my friend karen would love it.  Isn't it fun to find ways to make it LDL friendly? :D
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but I have to put this warning out there for those who may not know. 

This is a very concentrated, processed, nutrient dense snack. Even though it is made up of LDL-approved ingredients, blending it all up together is the same as eating something that was commercially processed.  Processing foods leads to weight gain because it takes away the work your body wants to do to stay healthy.  Processing means it no longer resembles the food it started out being, and many Lunchers are finding that frequently taking simple foods and turning them into recipes like this one can lead to blood sugar increases and weight stall or gain.

If you eat this, please watch yourself for any unusual cravings or weight gain.  Let us know how you do, okay?

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I agree with Gwen and Roger.  However wonderful this new peanutbutter subsititue sounds, it will just lead to other experiments which will cause stalls or weight gain.

My suggestion is that if you have that peanutbutter craving--eat as little as possible on a corn thin (a scant tablespoon).  You will know that this is NOT a LDL approved food and won't fool yourself into thinking that you can have all that you want.

There is so much LDL approved food to choose from that we don't need to go making substitues.  When nothing else works just eat the smallest amount of whatever you are craving and get on with it.  Your skinny jeans are waiting for you.

RB Kayaking
kwilliams
New, but learning

Post by kwilliams »

I appreciate the feedback.  I can see I still have much to learn.  I do have the red book and I am ready to buy a copy for my mother.  Thanks to everyone for the advice. 
adan

Post by adan »

I am confused with the answer from Gwennaford.  If all the ingredients are LDL approved, why is this considered processed.  I thought that anything made from approved LDL can be eaten.  I am very confused, Roger mentioned something like "way"  I dont remember reading anything about how to cook or not cook.  I thought that as long is fresh and no added anything not on the LDL approved list is ok to eat, dont matter how is cooked or baked.
LilMizMargi
New, but learning

Post by LilMizMargi »

Adan, I think what Gwenn means is that once LDL approved food items are combined together they become something else, and those 3 ingredients in the wannabe peanut butter - together - may react differently while being metabolized by your body.

For example, one of the ingredients in that fruity soy butter was dried fruit. One of the things I have read repeatedly in the boards is to stay away from dehydrated fruit because of the super concentration of nutrients and fructose. And that is if you dry the fruit yourself. If not, you have additives and preservatives to contend with, which change the chemical content of the food, so although it started out natural and fresh, the dehydrated fruit is really now a processed food.

A dehydrated fruit does not metabolize the same as a fresh fruit that is primarily water.

I started Monday and I am slowly but surely learning that LDL is not just about eating lunch as your heavy meal, it is about eating FRESH as much as possible. My kitchen is shut down this entire week, making it virtually impossible to cook anything. Until next week, I am giving LDL my best shot within my limited culinary resources. I am looking forward to results!

Thanks to each of you LDL'ers who post your comments. They sure help us newbies!

Blessings!
Margi
*love*
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Fruity Soy Butter - Gwen's reply

Post by Gwennaford »

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer, Adan.  My network connection has been erratic.  Hoping this goes through.  

Margi was right about the dried fruit.  Being more concentrated, you can eat more and consume many more calories than you could if you were eating fresh fruit.  Someone might be able to eat 100 raisins in just a few handsful and not feel full, but it would be much harder to eat 100 grapes without being stuffed.  

The processing part is tricky.  I cannot explain why people have reported that consuming certain recipes, even made with all LDL-approved foods, can cause weight gain and blood sugar spikes --while other recipes don't.  I suspect it may be similar to the reason dried fruits can become a problem.  Whenever we grind, puree, dehydrate, and concentrate fresh foods, we turn them into something that they didn't resemble in nature.  When we use machines to excessively process foods and turn them into another product, it deprives our bodies of the necessity to work hard to digest the foods.  

One example I can cite that has caused problems since I have been active with Let's Do Lunch is the Banzo Biscuits & Beanana Muffin recipes I created.  They are made with cooked garbanzos, eggs, bananas, baking powder, etc.  There is nothing bad IN them, but when eaten, they act like any other bakery product in our systems.  I have not heard of one person who has lost weight while eating them every day.  But many people have reported weight gain, weight loss stalls and elevated blood sugar readings (in diabetics).  I have heard the same thing happened in the past when 100% pure cornmeal, dried chickpeas, and soybeans were ground into flour and substituted in recipes as the main ingredient.  People went wild with these recipes and weight loss stopped.  A little probably won't hurt if eaten occasionally, but I wouldn't recommend them as an everyday choice.  That is the point I wanted to make about the fruity soy butter.  Eat it at your own risk, knowing it will probably act in your system the same as peanut butter would.  

I have made myself crazy trying to rationalize why this is true, when soups and casseroles made with similar ingredients do not cause similar problems, even when pureed.  The only thing I can think of is that the latter recipes contain much more fluid, and therefore, generally fill you up faster.  

The safest solution is to trust the program as Roger Troy wrote it, and when confusion arises, to use Mary's adage:  "If in doubt, leave it out."  

Keep up the good questions, Adan, and Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!

GWEN
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 21st, 2010, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
kwilliams
New, but learning

Post by kwilliams »

Thanks Gwen for the helpful advise and explanation.  It is nice to know.  Sometimes seems like things are a bit contradictory , but it makes sense with some explanation.  BTW - I threw it out.  I have done so well with everything that I did not want to risk it.  :thumbsup: