Cauliflower as Potatoes

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
brittanynicole

Cauliflower as Potatoes

Post by brittanynicole »

So I have been reading several recipes and it seems that lots of people use cauliflower to substitute for potatoes & fries etc..
why is this?
BreeBree

Genesis 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Cauliflower as Potatoes

Post by LINDA RN »

Potatoes are not "legal" on the Lets Do Lunch Plan. They inhibit weight loss and cause cravings. The cauliflower can be made to tast like potatoes. If you blenderize steamed cauliflower with butter beans you will get really creamy and tasty "mashed potatoes"
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Linda,

I tried Cauliflower a couple of years back bc I never had them and read they could be mashed like potatoes. Well I liked them so much, I had them 3 nights in a row and developed an allergic reaction to them  :'(    -  that's the way it seems to go for me. I cannot eat anything repeatedly  - well there are a few things and thank goodness or I would have noting left on my list.  I never thought of mixing the Cauliflower with Butter Beans. I will have to try it. Maybe it will reduce my reaction since I will be eating less of it.  Thanks for that!  *hug*

Hi Brittany,
How are you doing?  You are asking great questions so I know you will do really well. If you haven't seen it yet, some members use mashed chickpeas and onions as a substitute for a hash brown to eat with their eggs. I also cut a jicama into strips a while back and sauteed it in OO and it was wonderful - like french fries. You could also use smoky paprika to give them a little southwest flavor. I use it on my chick peas as well when I fry them up - yummy!  :thumbsup:

Julie :rose:
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

I had a friend the was allergic to his shadow.  His doctor gave him foods that were friendly with each other and he was not to repeat that days menu for 4 days as it takes that long for all the food toxins to leave the body.  Maybe that will help. 
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
brittanynicole

Post by brittanynicole »

Thanks for all the great info,yall!! :thumbsup:
Thats funny that you said that, Clown Lady because since I started LDL for some reason if i get mad or hot my face gets like red and my neck...alot more often now...do you think LDL has anything to do with that? lol (i know weird Q)
BreeBree

Genesis 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Roger,
Now that you have a Ninja, try blenderizing your butterbeans with a head of fresh boiled/steamed cauliflower. You won't believe how incredibly delicious it is.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Donna,
*hug*  That's too funny!  :laughing:

Yep, that is the only thing that can help - food rotation. It is really difficult to keep track of though and I find it particularly challenging bc I only cook for me. So I wind up throwing out the leftovers bc they have been in the frig too long ---- wah, wah, wah!  At least I have food so I just need to keep at it and see how to make it all work for me.

Julie  :rose:
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Julie,

How do you make the chickpeas and onions?  I love hash browns with onions and if this will work . . . YUM!

*hug*
Ginny M.
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Hey Ginny! Nice to see you again!  Hope all is well at home!  Will be nice to see you again this fall.
Hugs, Kathie in Fl
[
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Hi Ginny...I haven't tried chickpeas as homefries yet, but I did use butter beans and they were so good my SO loved them as much as real homefries.  I just took some smart blend and chopped onions (add peppers and mushrooms too if you want), sauteed that for a bit.. add a can of drained butter beans, mush them a bit with a potato masher.  Leave some chunks so they seem like real potates.  Let them brown and flip a few times.  I eat mine with a bit of ketchup.  They are a bit drier than potatoes but they are so worth it because they are healthy!  Lisa

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Hi, Kathie,

I should be back in Ft. Myers area by Thanksgiving.  Give you a call after the Holiday.

*hug*
Ginny
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Hi, Lisa.

Thanks for the Homefries recipe.  I think I have some butter beans or maybe it will work with Navy Beans (I buy them by the case).  I'l  try it this weekend and let you all know.

*hug*
Ginny
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Hey Brittanynicole. Where are you? We miss you. Come back please. We are here to help you and encourage you.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Lisa,  I tried the Navy beans as hashbrowns.  THEY WERE REALLY GOOD!!  *love*  Thanks for the recipe. :D

*hug*
Ginny
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Ginny...that's great!  I have never tried Navy beans before, believe it or not..so I am definitely going to get some soon.  I LOVE beans!! 

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
Halo
New, but learning

Post by Halo »

I came across a receipe that satisifys my mashed potato hunger, and it has not detoured my weight loss.

2 cans Great Northern beans
1 head of Cauliflower
3 tbs I can't beleive its not butter
Garlic or favorite seasoning

Cut cauliflower florets into a pan with lid cook till tender
Cook beans and drain or drain beans add I can't beleive its not butter in a bowl and microwave until butter is melted.
Add garlic and other favorite seasoning
Mix with mixer until smooth
Enjoy

Halo
Everyday with Jesus is better than the day before.

wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

This sounds very good.  I am always trying to figure out new recipes to use on company to wow them with LDL.  This sounds like one of those recipes that will work.  Thanks
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

I love fake potato salad made with cauliflower...If there's not already a recipe on this site, I will check one of my cookbooks for it and post it.  I wouldn't have believed just how much it tastes and looks like real potato salad.

I love the idea of navy beans as mashed potatoes, I've tried just cauliflower b4 and could not make the consistency work ;)

Debbie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5UWHNB/]
[/url