Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

I'm posting this for the benefit of everyone who has been asking but is not sure how to go about it.  If I made any mistakes or something needs clarification, somebody PLEASE jump in & help me out.  I don't know much about how to do this either!  This first thing you need to know is you can create & post a ticker right away, but you have to have posted 10 times before you can post your picture avatar.  That helps keep the bad people from jumping in here with bad content.

Tori did a lot of hard work to speed up the message boards by compressing pictures & a lot of other stuff I can't even begin to understand.  So please remember to keep the photos fairly small and appropriate to the topic so our message board stays speedy!    If you just can't get it to work, don't get frustrated -- Email someone who already has a Photobucket account or similar photo management site account set up (like me) to help you out.  :thumbsup:.  Carolyn (Queenie) and others (WHO I HOPE WILL JUMP IN & VOLUNTEER--hint hint) will also help if you'll email a request to one of us and ATTACH the picture(s), don't insert them into the body of the email or I won't be able to open them.

TICKERS:  When you click on anyone's ticker, it takes you to the tickerfactory.com website where you can customize your own.  At the bottom of the first page you click to save & continue to the next page.  When you're finished, scroll down to the bottom & look for the "BB" (bulletin board) code.  Copy the whole thing & paste it into the signature box of your profile.  After you're finished, scroll down to the bottom right & click the "Change profile" button.

To open & edit your profile, click on your screen name, or on "PROFILE" in the dark blue band above this message window to the left.  Look for "Modify Profile" in the menu on the left and click on "Forum Profile Information".  That's where the signature box is where you paste the BB code (delete any text from in the little box first).  Anytime you modify your profile you need to scroll down to the bottom right side of the page & click the "Change profile" button to save the changes.

To post pictures on the board you can set up an account & post them online at Photobucket or similar photo management site to get the codes (long text strings) required by the various places on the message boards.

AVATARS:    Your profile information page is also where you can EITHER 1) post your picture avatar using the "Direct Link" code from Photobucket or another online picture management site.  Please crop & resize your picture to be no larger than 150 x 150 for the avatar.  I understand it keeps our message boards running faster.  OR 2) Bonnie CHA! discovered another way to do it: 
Quote:
Here's how I did it:  I posted my photo to the gallery... then I right clicked on the photo in the gallery... clicked on "Properties"... then copied the URL... went to my profile and posted that URL where it said "I have my own picture", and VOILA`!  I have a profile picture!  I'm not very technically savvy, so if I could do it, you all can do it too!
  After you're finished, scroll down to the bottom right & click the "Change profile" button to save the changes.  Instructions for posting in the photo gallery follow, below.

PICTURE MESSAGES:  Pictures posted within a reply window like this one require the IMG code:

PHOTO GALLERY:  Finally you can post pictures directly from your PC into the Photo gallery, but it requires your picture resolution to be  600 x 600 pixels or less, and compressed to a small file size of 48 kb ( ? )  I'll have to go look it up.  I'll post it here later.  I still don't know how to compress pictures in Photobucket.  I have to do in in my Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery.

Loves, Gwennaford

> Modified 5/17/09 to add Bonnie CHA!'s discovery re adding an avatar.

Last edited by Gwennaford on , edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Profile Pictures

Here's how I did it:

I posted my photo to the gallery... then I right clicked on the photo in the gallery... clicked on "Properties"... then copied the URL... went to my profile and posted that URL where it said "I have my own picture", and
VOILA`!  I have a profile picture!

I'm not very technically savvy, so if I could do it, you all can do it too!

Have a blessed evening!

Well I'll be hornswoggled ! ! !  I tried it with one of my pics in the gallery and it works!  Bonnie, I modified the original instructions to reflect your discovery.  Good job!

D'ya think it would have been too much trouble for the formerly active gurus of the site to have shared that?  I spent a year trying to figure out why I needed 5 different codes to post in the different areas.

You still have to size a picture to 600 x 600 pixels or less and compress the file size to less than 48 kb to be able to post it in the gallery.  But you CAN post it directly from your PC without going to a website.  That's a good thing.

I'm pretty sure you still need a [url] from another website to add a pic to a post, though.  I don't know if there is a shortcut for that.  However, I would LOVE to be wrong!  LOL

:thumbsup:

It was PURE luck Gwenn!

I'm checking the boards before leaving for work...  Have a super day!

Thank you Gwenn and Bonnie for your computer savey! 

Got my ticker today!  It's 3 lbs. less since I just started three days ago!  Maybe I'll tackle my picture next!

Wow!  Many Blessings,

Michelle

Hi Chelle,

Just registered and got my ticker...so am going to see if it applied!  Best of luck with LDL...  Deb

Yey Deb, you did it!

Cute ticker-tracker!

Good luck, and welcome to the journey!

Deb wrote:
Hi Chelle,

Just registered and got my ticker...so am going to see if it applied!  Best of luck with LDL...  Deb

Hi there!  Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!  We have another Deb on the boards who also uses a horse in her ticker (different one).  She goes by Dakotagirl 'cause they have a ranch - guess where? 

:D  hello.....I have a picture in the gallery already but how can I get it over here???  I am a computer dummy....

Laura, go to the "Archived Media & Info" heading at the very bottom of the message board HOME page (Let's Do Lunch Community).  Click on it, then on "Posting Tickers and Pictures" to open the instructions.  Scroll all the way down to the post with the instructions.  Look under "Avatars" for a gray quote box with Bonnie's easy directions. 

When copying the pictures Properties Address: (URL) remember to copy the ENTIRE text string.  It starts with http://  ... and ends with ... .jpg.  You need all of that and everything in between

To open your profile you can click on your screen name beside one of your posts, or on the dark blue "Profile" tab near the top left of this page.  Look for the "Modify Profile" menu on the left and click on "Forum Profile Information" to open the area where you post the code for your picture.  Don't forget to scroll to the bottom and click on "Change profile".  Martha said she had to do this a couple of times, but then it popped into the profile instantly.

Was the avatar option taken out? I can choose from a list of available avatars but there is no option for:
"I have my own picture" in my profile for the forums.

I have read the instructions a number of times and looked all over.

thanks!

Mynx;
We had a serious problem with nasty spam a couple of years ago. One of the 'fixes' was to make an individual post at least 10 times before they had the same privileges as everyone else on here...

I see that so far you have posted 3 times. After you make your 10th post you'll have more options...
Sorry for the inconvenience.
NJ

ah that makes sense, thanks!

I think I did everything right but all I get is the little box with a x in it.  help

can you take from myspace photos instead of Photobucket?  i have been trying to put my picture on here for days.  I finally got my ticker on there.  I may just have a brain fart or something.  HELP!  diane

Can you take photos from a FaceBook account?

I did upload a photo into the LDL gallery... and thought I could post an avatar that way. Not sure if it's working...

Jeni

Jeni wrote:
Can you take photos from a FaceBook account?

I did upload a photo into the LDL gallery... and thought I could post an avatar that way. Not sure if it's working...

If you have posted in the gallery, you can follow BonnieCHA's advice to put the photo into your profile as your avatar.  Scroll to the beginning of this thread & look for the section where I plugged in what she wrote about the way she does it.  Or just look for her original post, also on this thread.

Intune -- I'm sure there is a way to copy & paste the URL from MySpace into the profile, but I'll have to check it out & let you know which one to use.  Or you can experiment with copying different ones until you get the right one.  It needs to be the bulletin board code that starts with http: etc. etc. . . .  NOT the website code that has < or > characters in it.

I don't Facebook, so I can't answer about it, but it's probably a similar type of setup.

Jeni - following Bonnie's instructions, below is the URL I copied from your gallery photo.  Please try pasting it into your profile where it says "I have my own pic", update the profile page at the bottom of the screen & you should see the image immediately in the avatar area if it worked.  I tried inserting it into my profile & it worked just fine.  Very pretty pic of you & your puppy, BTW!

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/galle ... _56_19.JPG

:tongue: thanks everyone... being a newbie would be a LOT harder without good folks like you to help us get started! This is only my second day... and it's going well so far!

What do you mean, u have to have posted 10 times.  With your ticker or just being on the board 10 times?  Thanks Karen

The number of messages you have posted on the boards as indicated under your screen name to the left of each of your messages.