Linda RN's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Linda RN's Journal

Post by LINDA RN »

I loved pot pies also and I am sure between them and ice cream I ballooned to the 20W size I was.
I also liked the Chicken A La King over toast or bisquits.
I do think mashing the white beans as a thickener will make it a healthy meal and so much more filling.
The healthy meals on this program are endless.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I am still so amazed at what can be done with beans!  :shock: ...but so happy about it!  :happy:
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Linda, I will trying the beans tomorrow with my LDL chicken pot pie and am looking forward to it so thanks for the idea.  I so appreciate any and all ideas for making our meals better and healthier and most of all LDL. 

Joyful Friend, here is my secret recipe for your DH.  It is not LDL but the best recipe I have found and my DH loves it, although he is eating my LDL pot pie now.

2 small or 1 medium potato diced and boiled and drained (don't cook ready to eat but more like parboil as it will finish cooking in the oven)
1/2 package frozen mixed veggies boiled or microwaved and drained (I prefer Green Giant as they have lima beans too) (don't cook ready to eat but more like parboil as it will finish cooking in the oven)
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt (gauge your salt according to how salty your chicken and broth is my DH likes just a little bit more salt)
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth (once I bake my chicken I pull away the meat and then boil everything else to create the broth and if it is overnight you can skim the fat off easier the next day)
2/3 cup milk (whole milk makes it creamier)
3 cup cut up cooked turkey or chicken
2 Pet Ritz deep dish pie crusts

Cook the vegetables and drain.  Heat butter in 2 quart pan until melted. Stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Cook and stir until bubbly, remove from heat.  Stir in broth and milk.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Stir in turkey or chicken and vegetables.

Take out pie crust from the freezer and let thaw a couple of minutes. Put in 1/2 the mixture and level. Take the other pie crust and gently place on top.  If it won't come out of the pan easily enough allow another minute or two.  Once placed on top go around the edges and push together with your fingers or a fork. Bake at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes (mine usually takes around 45 you will need to watch it).  Cut slits in the top with a knife.

You will now have 1/2 a portion to make your next pot pie.  I put foil in the pie crust pan I am not using and pour the mixture in, cover with the foil and place it in the freezer. The next time you make a pot pie take it out of the freezer (I put mine in the refrigerator sometimes overnight to thaw) and follow the baking procedure.  You can also make 1/2 a pie by taking 1 pie crust placing 1/4 of the mix in and folding it over, seal with fingers or fork and bake. It may take less time.  Enjoy!

Now for my new favorite LDL version (will be trying mashed beans as Linda suggested tomorrow).  I have taken my original homemade pot pie recipe and changed it to LDL.  I bake a chicken and one day we have it for our main meal.  The next day I take the chicken and pull it from the carcass, boil the carcass (after removing the fat) to create my broth.  I cook frozen mixed vegetables (I like Green Giant as they have Lima beans too).  It then becomes a thick bowl of stew.  I place the chicken, mixed vegetables and broth in my bowl and mix.  I get almost the same taste of my chicken pot pie without the gravy.  Next time I will try mashing the beans in the broth to see how it tastes and try the same with the turkey.

I hope I do not offend anyone by posting this and please just tell me not to and I will not. I am not sure of the guidelines regarding this.
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

No problem posting non-LDL reipes as long as it is done in a food journal (as you did) and not in the recipe section.

Now when you have perfected the LDL potpie recipe, do post it in the recipe section.

Just a thought while posting this, You may want to mash a can of navy beans for the thickening, but you may want to also add Butter beans or Canelli beans or chick peas in place of diced potatoes for those who may miss the potatoes in the pot pie. I would think it will be fine without esp. with the lima beans in the mixed veggies, but I know my DH will probably like Chick Peas added whole (rinsed and drained.)
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Thank you for the ideas Linda and input!  I appreciate the help with recipes and adding the beans to thicken is excellent.  I am taking my old recipes and changing with the LDL twist and once I know it is a recipe to keep I will post.  I don't add any potatoes in my LDL version but I am not sure I mentioned that.
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Been wanting to experiment with the pumpkin soup recipe so today with nothing fixed and leftovers to use up, I went to cookin'.

Started with 5-6 sliced green onions, a couple thinly sliced cloves garlic, sliced up one of those white radishes (should have used more, or could dice a turnip), ~1/4 cup frozen red, orange, yellow bell peppers I had on hand, and a peeled/seeded hot green pepper. Sauteed this in a little olive oil, then added a 29oz can pumpkin puree. Then threw in large can of rinsed/drained black beans, small can of chick peas and cannellini beans. It was a little too thick so since I did not have chicken broth handy, I added water and a tablespoon Organic Better Than Bullion. Then added drained can of chicken(won't do that again...don't care for the taste of canned chicken). It still was not flavored enough so I added about 3 TBSP Coconut Aminos and a TBSP of Poultry Seasoning. Still needed a little extra salt on the serving but it did taste good and very filling.

I was leary of adding tomatoes because I did not want to ruin the whole batch, so I sliced some cherry tomatoes on top of the seving bowl and it was sooo good.

Just wanted to share this to encourage those who have not tried, to start throwing together LDL acceptable foods into soups that will be a comfort and stick with you food that will keep you full longer!.

Also found this article FYI:

Kicking the Diet Soda Habit

Q: I’ve heard that diet soda isn’t good for me, but I love it and can’t give it up! What’s so bad about diet soda... and how can I kick the habit?

A: There are many reasons to stop drinking diet soda. Research from the University of Texas Health Science Center showed that people who consumed more than three diet sodas per day, on average, had almost double the risk of becoming overweight or obese over an eight-year period as those who didn’t drink artificially sweetened beverages. A Harvard study found that women who regularly drank two or more diet sodas daily were at increased risk for kidney function decline. The phosphorus in diet soda can deplete the body’s calcium. Also worrisome is the evidence that aspartame, the artificial sweetener in many diet sodas, acts as an excitotoxin, an agent that binds to nerve cell receptors, overstimulating and damaging cells. I’ve seen patients with jitters, insomnia and disordered thinking recover when they stopped drinking diet soda. Many experts, including me, consider aspartame addictive -- so I am not surprised that you are having trouble giving it up.

To reduce cravings for diet soda, supplement with the amino acids phenylalanine and tyrosine. Why this works: Aspartame contains phenylalanine... which the body converts to tyrosine... which is then converted to the feel-good neurotransmitter dopamine (that’s one big reason you enjoy diet soda). When you take these amino acids directly, you get the same pleasing effects that you would from aspartame -- but without diet soda’s negative effects. To help convert tyrosine, also supplement with vitamin B-6. For dosages, consult a nutrition professional.

Phenylalanine and tyrosine generally are safe, but as with any supplement, check with your physician before using. Do not take these supplements if you take an MAO antidepressant or medication for Parkinson’s disease, are pregnant, or have diabetes, high blood pressure or phenylketonuria (a rare genetic disorder).

Source:
Hyla Cass, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist and nationally recognized expert on integrative medicine based in Pacific Palisades, California. She is a frequent TV and radio commentator and author of 10 books, including 8 Weeks to Vibrant Health (Take Charge).
www.CassMD.com
Linda

Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Very interesting!
Thank you for sharing this!

Also I printed out the soup recipe but I'm not sure if I can get hold of Coconut Aminos.
:-)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Bethann,
Just use a little extra salt or soy sauce. It really doesn't need the Coconut Aminos. I just like the flavor of it.
Linda

debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

Linda,

Thanks for the info on diet soda...I do have a serious addiction to Diet Pepsi and want to get rid of it.  Today, I bypassed a 2 liter, but did buy a 12oz and gulped it down.

Debbie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5UWHNB/]
[/url
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thanks Linda, I do have the soy sauce...  :thumbsup:
:)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Haven't posted in quite a while.
Been having trouble breaking the stall.
Been thinking it is one thing or another. Too much fruit, too little protein, too much corn, etc.
Nothing really panned out with any consistency.
I had noticed that in a pinch, I would occasionally eat all natural peanut butter on a corn thin for lunch and seemed like I would loose.
During my vacation I munched on trail mix DD had left out, and I dropped 3 lbs.
So I armed myself with some trail mix and muched at work. Was happy that it satified cravings and seemed to kepp me full and not eating so much...sometimes skipping lunch. BUTTTTT..... now I am up 5-6lbs.
I was giving an inservice for 3 days last week on the Temporal Thermometer that measures core body temp and mine was consitently around 96-97 degrees. No wonder I feel cold all the time. I also noticed my energy levels at an all-time low.....sleepy all the time and so weak feeling I could hardly move. Some dizziness. Considering allergy to nuts versus nuts lowering thyroid.

At any rate, I am through with nuts.
Not sure what I will do at work.
Eating fruit doesn't help, just makes me hungrier in the morning.
Eggs don't satify either.
Right now I feel too tired to think.
Just believing the Lord will show me the way that is right for me.
Need someone to make my soup for me and and have it ready when I get hungry!
LOL, not in this lifetime!
Linda

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Linda- I can identify with your frustration in trying to break  "The Big Stall."  I have been there for quite some time myself.  I am down almost 60#, but still want/need to lose 40 more.  I thought I had it figured out in Dec. when I dropped a few pounds, however, those pounds came back and have stayed.  I, too, have tried eating more, eating less, trying to exercise, trying to eat less corn...
I wish someone could figure why some of us get to the finish line and beyond and some of us lose well for while,. but stop losing somewhat short of our goal.  Pam
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

Yes Pam, it certainly is a mystery. I have weighed 152  for quite some time and should weigh not more than 138 for my height and build. The first 13 came off slowly and steadily, however I am doing nothing differently.

On the other hand, I am very thankful that that is all I do have to lose. I should have weighed a lot more with the way I used to eat. And it is sure nice to be able to buy smaller clothing!
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

It looks like that I am not the only one struggling!

It will come yet!

We will just keep trying and praying!  :rose:

Love and  *hug*
Beth(Ann)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, that didn't take long. God is faithful. Ask for wisdom and understanding and he supplies.
Found this article that really makes sense:

http://www.coconutdiet.com/thyroid_health.htm

I know I told some that I tried taking coconut oil and did not loose weight. But I also was eating the stuff that would keep me from loosing.
Now I know I will increase the use of coconut oil, stop eating anything with peanuts, eat less cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and greens.
I will exercise more and try to rev up my metabolim. I have a good measure of success. I believe when I can get my core temp back up to normal I should see a difference. Will let you know!
Linda

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

This is what I hear from our daughter.  She is as faithful as I am; yet, she can't get her last 20# off. She is at standstill.  She likes the food and it satisfies her, but still she feels down from it.  *hug*  JF
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - I haven't reached a plateau yet (I'm only almost 3 months into LDL), but with a number of ladies talking about their weight loss being stalled, I just wondered if you have reached a stall and what you did.  I know you have lost weight so well and seem to have kept it off so easily.  Just wondered if you ever got to a plateau and how you came through it.

RT - I also wondered if you ever hit any plateaus and if so, what you did to start losing again.  I just scanned my red book and all I could find was that you recommended a fruit and soup flush.  Does that always work and are there other things you can do to start the weight loss again?

I guess exercise would be good too.  I keep meaning to get on my treadmill, instead of just looking at it...lol 

Like I said I haven't hit a weight loss plateau yet, but I just wanted to know what to do if I hit a plateau, and thought the two of you (RT & JF) might have some good advice. 

Thanks, Jerrie 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Jerrie,
Don't get discouraged. You are loosing great.
Some have never had a stall and went straight to goal without a stall.
Something may be amis in my system. I was on LDL for 5 months before I started loosing at all but I was reshaping and I was happy about that.
I did not change anything that I know of when I suddenly started dropping and did not change anything when I stalled again.
I really think it is just me and not the plan. Do the plan as outlined and you will continue to loose and reshape.
Linda

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Jerrie, I had a three week stall, but I had not done exercise regularly for about 2 months.  So when I started back to active purposeful exercise, I thought I would really drop after being on LDL for a couple months, but I didn't drop any and it bothered me.  My board friends told me that muscle weighs more than fat.  I did completely reshape.  After I had lost 50 lbs, my goal, I thought I was finished losing, but last year, my DH and I went on a  one month vacation--two weeks was cruising.  I ate LDL, but the ship had a huge area of foods that had no gluten and MSG.  I indulged on that cruise, and came home 3# lighter.  I continued to lose 7 more.  Then my body stopped.  I go between a 2# gain and a 2# loss often due to not drinking water like I should. I still eat mostly LDL foods.  It's the first time in my life that I am completely happy with foods every day.  My hunger has been satisfied through beans, veggies, and fruit. I need animal protein once a day to stay satisfied.  I still eat a lot of food--roasted veggies of all kinds and a variety of fruit. I enjoy all the different soups, and have a bowl of soup or beans almost everyday. My daughter, Country Girl, was heavier than me, but she lost must slower and gets stalls often.  She is in the pause age, so I think her body reacts differently.  She has never waivered from LDL,because the lion of hunger has been satisfied, and she is off of all of her meds. Her doctor is well pleased with her size.  She looks great and is well perportioned.  We are grateful for LDL and to Roger for the red book plan.  Several people in my area have had success, but several go on and off.  I'm so grateful for how much better I feel, and the release from food cravings. I simply don't want them again.  I have found that they have to be satisfied, so it is better to  keep away from the things that caused weight gain for me in the past.  I have added whole 100% wheat back occasionally, yogurt daily, and sweet potatoes when I want one. I have pudding made from scratch every 2 or 3 weeks.  Thanks to my heavenly Father, So far, I have found LDL easy to do.  :D JF
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

Happy for you Linda *hug*
                        Charlotte