Linda RN's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Linda RN's Journal

Post by LINDA RN »

Sauteed some left-over fresh beets cut in strips in Extra Virgin Coconut Oil with a left-over fresh sliced Leek.
When it was nice and tender, I spooned it oved a baked potato.  It was sooo good.
Don't make a habit of eating white potatoes, but trying to use up food before it goes bad.
EVCO is not an approved oil, but I am experimenting to see if it will help raise my body temp and metabolism.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Linda for the info.  That is good to know.  Hopefully I won't hit a plateau before I reach my goal.  Hope your plateau breaks soon.  Jerrie :)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - thank you for your post.  You have done so well on your weight loss journey and are an inspiration.  That is wonderful how you actually lost weight on a cruise.  It seems like all of the people I know that have gone on cruises have gained on their cruises due to the 24/7 gourmet food on board.  It sounds like you daughter has done well too.  I also like how I don't have food cravings either since I started LDL.  Sweets were what was hard for me before LDL.  As soon as I ate sometime with sugar in it, I looked for things throughout the day with sugar in them, which can reallly pack on the pounds.  And it does seem that beans have really helped me a lot.  I too eat heavy protien only once a day, but I like having beans (mostly in soups) for dinner.  It is so wonderful how you have even been able to keep losing weight, even past your goal weight.  Thank you so much for the tips.  Jerrie :)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Jerrie.  It surprised me as well about eating so much on the cruise, because each evening we dined and had every course; however, I made mostly LDL choices.  I usually had the sugarfree dessert as well as a plate of fruit.  I took sometimes 2 or 3 things from the appetizers, always  one of the hot or chilled soups, and a green salad.  Usually my entree was the sea food.  I had steak a couple times.  I never took  any potatoes.  I asked the  chef to fix me roasted veggies, and I always had the  mashed whipped parsnips as  a side.  For breakfast, I enjoyed an omelet fixed  with double mushrooms, onions, peppers,cheese, and fresh tomatoes. I also had a plate or two of fruit,never juice. I love coffee.  Then for lunch, I ate tons of different fresh and cooked veggies, and a plate of fruit.  Sometimes, they had great soups fixed for lunch.  My DH ate ice cream every day, the richest double chocolate desserts.  He ate hashbrowns, baked potato, mashed potatoes, bread galore.  We worked out in the gym once a day for 1/2 hour.  We took a whole lot of trips off the boat---we walked to most of them.  I cook a whole lot at home.  My crockpot is always busy.  I'm watching Dr. Oz's show, and once again I thank my God for His wonderful mercy in giving me LDL.  The women on there today with food problems sound I like I was 2 years ago.  The First Magazine for Women had an article about LDL in it---two yr.anniversary soon.  That article changed  my eating habits forever.  Then getting to meet Julie and Little Mary,  and other board  friends in Texas a year ago, and the Ohio LDL board friends in October made me realize how we are put here to help each other.  Sometimes, I think some on the boards can't believe that I don't eat cake and pie.  Well, it's hard for me to believe that I don't crave it. I go out often with friends to eat, if Pizza Hut is suggested, I excuse myself.  There isn't much there that I choose to eat.  Each person only has to please oneself with the choice of staying true to LDL and being healthy, or jumping on and off the plan and continue their cravings.  I'm thankful for all the bountiful foods that I now can enjoy.  :thumbsup:  JF   
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks Jf you are such an inspiration  *love*
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - that is so nice that when you went on your cruise your were able to have such an abundance of LDL foods for all of your meals; and nice that could have have the chef prepare roasted veggies for you.  It sounds like the cruise line made it easy for you to stay on LDL while you were on your trip and that you made great food choices.

I, too, do not crave the sugary desserts like I used to before LDL.  I just made some frozen fruit cups (which I modified from an old recipe on the boards) and it was so good and sweet without any sugar.

Do you have any favorite crock pot recipes that you make most often?

I tried to find that First Magazine article when others on the board talked about it, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks so much JF.

Jerrie :)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I make Taco, Butternut Squash and Roasted Garlic soups, Niki's bean soup, Cauliflower and broccoli soups---all the recipes on the board.  I cook 1# of navy beans with 4 grated carrots and 1 chopped onion, 1T of H salt.  It takes 4-.6 hrs on high.  It is a delicious easy bean soup.  I also cook pinto beans.  I love the meat balls in the homemade sauce---I put them over spaghetti squash. The recipe is in the red book.  The cracker barrel fried apples LDL style(recipe on the boards) are good to keep warm in the crockpot. I use the crockpot to keep things warm.  I also do the crockpot Mexican chicken.  It is delicious.  My friend cooks her steel cut oatmeal in the crockpot over night.  If I find it in a store, I am going to try it.  I also use my crockpots for all my veggies.  When I have my family  in, I often serve buffet style.  I have one with green beans, one with corn, one with peas, and I even put my chicken and noodles in my 5qt. one, and mashed potatoes in one.  I bought the new style one that has 3 crockpots on it.  It's great for company.  I roast  veggies  in the oven.  I used to sautee my veggies, but since LDL, I roast them.  They are so much better. I love cooking non LDL foods as well as LDL.  It's fun to cook, but I don't care much for clean up.  My DH is sooo good to clean up after me.  I have to put the foods away, but he will wash all the dishes and put them in the dish washer for me.  I usually send most of the left-overs home with the kids.  I truly have been blessed from the recipes from the book and the boards.  I'm great at following recipes and can cook well, but I'm not much at figuring out creative recipes on my own.  Once I get the recipe, I usually make it mine by adding seasoning I like. Little Mary certainly worked out a lot of the good soups and casseroles. Wendy and Vicky Lynn have given a lot of ideas. Just today, I cooked pork ribs.  I put Baby Ray's sauce over my DH's and I put blackberry jam(with splenda) mixed with tomato sauce over mine.  They were delicious. That is an idea of Wendy's. Niki taught me to not use anything but water, salt and pepper for seasoning on my beans.  If I let my beans cook with onions, carrots, and celery, they taste like they have seasoning. They are delicious. I've made a big turn around with my cooking. I use mostly low fat cheeses .  I use to make so many creamy casseroles with soups, cream cheese, Cheddar cheese,sour cream, etc.    I cooked a whole lot of pasta. Since I'm at goal, I have enjoyed a whole wheat pasta with a light Alfredo sauce a couple of times. No harm to cravings or to weight gain. I'm sorry I got carried away.  :rolleyes:  JF   
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am so looking forward to being home more to cook.  *hug*
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - thank you so much for all of the information.  You have a lot of really great ideas.  I used to roast a lot of veggies and hadn't done that in a while (kinda forgot about it), but because of one of your recent posts about the roasted veggies on your cruise, I put some roasted cauliflower in the oven tonight and it was really good.  I'm gonna have to get back to doing more of the roasted veggies.  I like the ease of just using bags of frozen veggies.  Nothing to chop; so easy.

Your soups sound great.  I'm gonna have to look up some of those recipes on the boards.

How do you do your veggies in the crock pot.  Do you cook them first and then just let them stay warm in the crockpot?  I've never tried veggies in the crockpot, mostly soups.

I love the idea about the blackberry jam and tomato sauce over meat as a bbq sauce.  I want to try that.  I love Polaner Allfruit Jams, as they don't have sugar in them, just fruit sugar.  I'll have to see if they have one in blackberry.  I guess it would probably work well with other jam flavors too.  Can't wait to try that.

So nice that your hubby does the dishes for you.  I'm sure that is a big help.

You are so kind to take the time to share all of those tips.  Thanks again.

Jerrie  :)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - I made the navy bean soup you make in my crock pot today.  It was very good.  I didn't know how much water to add, so I think I added about 6 cups, enough to cover the beans by about an inch?  How much water do you add?  Thank you so much for sharing your recipes and tips.  Jerrie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Changing my Profile Picture in celebration of Nurses Week.
I still remember my Nursing School days like it was yesterday.
How did it get to be 39 years I have been nursing?  :wrong:
Last edited by LINDA RN on May 9th, 2011, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Nice photo Linda.  Jerrie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks, Jerrie
Inside I still feel like I look like that!
Linda

Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

We thank God for you!  :rose: You are beautiful inside and Out! .... 39 years later!
The years speed by! How could it be that I am 57 years old! :shock:
As you celebrate Nurses Week ....Blessings to you!
We so thank God for the many wonderful nurses!
Last edited by Bethann on May 12th, 2011, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You are blessed Beth, the years have been good to you!
Linda

cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

Very a nice photo Linda. I love the nurse one too.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks, Cameron,
Now that Nurses Week is over, thought I would celebrate our upcoming 37th anniversary the end of this month.
Linda

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well it has been a while since I have been able to donate blood.
I was in shock today to find out my iron (hematocrit) level was 46!
The highest I ever remember being was 42.
It pays to eat those beans!
Linda

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Good for you, Linda!  Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Wonderful, Linda.  :thumbsup:  JF