Zesti's Daily Adventures w/ Journaling

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
Zesti
Master Member

Re: Zesti's Daily Adventures w/ Journaling

Post by Zesti »

When I was "de-railing" off the LDL train these past few months, I was experimenting with grains. I kept organic and in moderation too. Whole grain brown rice and pasta seem to stop me up and play games with my sugar levels, it filled me up but I still wanted to eat, quinoa was better for me, but I was reading an article about how it was not sustainable, so the quilt help me give that up..lol... I used Ezekiel breads for sandwiches, toast and for bread crumbs. That seemed to do it. It's high enough in fiber and is from sprouted grains. Some say it's expensive, but I really didn't go over board with it. A loaf in the freezer last well over 2 weeks sometimes more. Now, I am back to using my corn thins for sandwiches, so all is good. I do know that letting grains such as quinoa and brown rice sit in the fridge over night before cooking really seemed to help with the digestion. But, I don't really crave them anymore, however, my beans were another thing. HOW I MISSED MY BEANS!! and eating lots of them.. Dr.Fhurman.com has a lot of good info on combining foods too as well as gmf@mauigatewa whole foods. I love that site, lots of good recipes. There is so much good info on this thing I could spend all day just surfing and reading...and some days I do! I've been doing a lot of reading on combining veggies and what veggies to eat to get more protein too. I love meat, but sometimes I just get tired of chewing it. Beans have brought my cholesterol down. I was "pre" danger zone and doc wanted me to do the meds, but I won't do those, just doubled up on my beans but that was pre LDL last time, and when I went on LDL the first time, my numbers came down and have stayed down, and good #'s went up, so doc is happy with that. I have found that a big bowl of steamed veggies with "a sauce" really satisfy's me at night, for now, I am back to eating my protein/meat at lunch. I do try to do just veggies on some days, but find if I don't get the meat, all I want to do is eat. And, that's ok, if it's just veggies and the sweet monster doesn't show his ugly head! , but some days I just don't have the time to be doing all that eating!! I do my fruit smoothies with just fruit and greens now, doubling up the serving size so I have one ready in the fridge at all time..
Yesterday I did good. I was in the kitchen all day chopping and peeling away..I made a bag of Mayocoba Beans. I just bought them because they were on sale and I hadn't seen them before. I like the light green color..They are a lot like Northern but have more of a buttery texture. So, I will make a pot of Puerto Rican Spicy beans for a nice change...Also, will try them in place of BB for smashed potatoes.
I had a chicken breast at lunch time, than later a bowl of the roasted veggies. Dinner time was a smoothie and a few corn thins. Late night "monster" coming out. Had the water on to boil for cream of wheat cereal. I wanted something sweet, creamy and warm..Almost had the packages opened too, but put my foot down. NO! I boiled corn, creamed with hand blender, added oganic xyitol and really enjoyed that. No more eating after that. An hour or 2 later I was off to bed. NO REFUX! That's two nights in a row now. Yea!!!
I think maybe I will take some posty notes and stick them on the things in the cupboard that I know if I eat, I won't sleep and suffer with acid reflux all night with. I should just throw them out..geez..well really, it's only the instant cream of wheat ( worst kind!) and DH doesn't eat it so maybe I will just do that.
Ok on with my day. I hope you enjoy yours...
:ymhug: :ymhug:
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Maybe you should have a compost pile to trow unused food on? :-? Of course maybe the preservatives and chemicals would kill your earth worms. =)) Today has been a real challenge, but life is getting simpler. My blood sugar was high this morning, I ate baked beans that I sweetened with honey and molasses and I had an apple and grapes before going to bed. I have really been having trouble sleeping at night and I think the late eating has something to do with it. Last night I dreamed of my first love and then started imagining what life would have been like!! How's that for wasted time. Of course I wouldn't have my 4 beautiful daughters and maybe I wouldn't have gone to college and become an RN. I feel like such a failure sometimes, but I am learning that my creator husband is all I need and I can trust Him to take care of me, when I have been abandoned and let down by some of my closest friends. Life is an adventure and I am up for the journey. :ymapplause:
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I do compost and it is only with organic left overs. I even feel bad throwing it out to the birds! But, if I don't want to eat it, why should I? so in the trash it goes. I have found something to take it's place now, and it's doing a good job..The first time I just creamed corn and added xyitol to it, last night I had corn, added tangerine and a banana. The banana was an after thought, BUT A GOOD ONE, it was like warm banana pudding and it satisfied me for the next 2.5 hours I was up. I didn't want to eat at all.
So, my fruit intake is a morning smoothie with greens, and a late night snack. If I crave sweet during the day, I will have more fruit, but so far so good. I am still getting over 5 to six pieces of fruit a day and making a point to get in more veggies.
I really like the steamed broccoli with "pesto bean sauce", now I am dipping my chicken in the pesto sauce. Yummy.
Last night I fixed Charlie's Blackened fish recipe, from the cards. We had blackened rainbow trout, with corn and cauliflower. I like the spice mix, I just didn't add as much red pepper to it, just enough that DH and I would agree on..lol..he thought it could use more lemon, so next time I will add my lemon zest along with the lemon pepper, or just double up on the lemon pepper, but I have been zesting all of my lemons before using, so I have a nice container full of zest on my shelf. Just sprinkling zest, lemon, lime or orange on things really does a lot to "POW" the flavor of things and the best part is...less that is wasted..And, zest keeps longer than fresh. I even have grapefruit zest. I just zest all of my citrus..
I think we all go back and play that "What If" game. I natural and very human. But as long as it's short lived, it's healthy. You have so much to be thankful for and your life is so full. So enough with the "what if's". It's your time now Baby! time for the "What IS's" When the IS's turn into R's that you don't like. Now, you can change them. God is given you "More Time" to make more of the "YEAH!" times now. You appreciate the simple good times in life, so this just might be the happiest time for you yet!!
I am really doing my best to stay off the scale and to workout 5 minutes a day now, then take it up a notch each day or two. Baby steps here...
I feel like I am getting a little bit of my ole self back. One thing great about living LDL is, that it really does get your energy up. I just have to decide what to do with all this energy...LOL
\M/ \M/
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I am so proud of you! :ymapplause: I think that bean pesto sounds great and I will make it when I find some fresh basil or did you say I can make it with cilantro too? Your recipes sound soooo gooood. Love life and your days will be better and thank God for everything the good and the bad, because sometimes we make the biggest and best changes in life when something happens that shakes up our status quo. Life is an adventure.
Aloha,
Leilani

I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I didn't have any fresh basil the last time I made it, as the store was out! so I soaked about 3 TBSP of dried in water overnight to re-hhdrate and used that. I put everything in my vita mix holding the basil for last and just adding and tasting as I went along. It's pretty old, so it might have been a little of the week side.
I usually go lite on basil, a little for me goes a long way, but once I started tasting it and loving it I just kept adding more and more and more..lol... I can't wait to use my fresh basil when I get it going. I have used cilantro fresh or dried, but that's easy for me, cuz for me...can't use to much of that!! Regarless whether I use basil or cilantor, I don't add oil unless I need to get some fat in my diet for the day..or eating hummus, then I will add evvo or thini oil..Yummy!
I am just so happy not having reflux at night anymore....YEA!!
My status quo NEEDS a good shaking!!! =))
xxoo
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I think rolling on the floor laughing your head off is a good way to shake up your status quo and it is good exercise too. I am trying to get my taxes paid today so I am a little on edge, but not eating over it. I may take my ex out to lunch if he will come in to get the taxes done and sign the papers. At least I won't have to file with him next year!! #:-s
Last edited by omalani on April 17th, 2015, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I started over a week ago today so I thought I would weigh this am..I lost 5.5 pounds. Now, I won't get back on the scale again until the end of the month and then once a month after that. I was feeling "lighter" so I just wanted to check the proof, and the proof in the pudding is. THE CORN PUDDING WAS GREAT!!

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I love your ticker and I can see you running to One-derland. Iam swimming to One-der island. ;;) I have not weighed in 2 weeks. Imagine my surprise when my weight was down 5 lbs. I was too busy trying to get things done at the last minute, to binge. #:-s I have not been watching TV. I ended up getting money back when I did my taxes and only owe a little to the state. My ex did come in late but was very nice and I saved a lot. However, we will probably both owe next year so I will have deductions increased. I can't figure out why singles should pay more! Life is a puzzle sometimes, but the pieces are coming together.
Aloha,
Leilani

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Am I the last person on earth? No activity on the boards, where is everyone? I have been struggling and am up with reflux tonight. Life is good.
Aloha,
Leilani

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I'm here and finally feeling pants getting loose. I had gotten very close to twoterville, but Leilani's declaration as to being just a few pounds from onederland motivated me to get with the program. Still having withdrawl from sweets and some reflux also. Shoulder pains returned also, so looking forward to all that going away. Loading up on salads. Need to get going on bean salads again. Got more rain this spring so hoping the watermelons are better this year.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Good job, Linda! It is so easy to get off-track. Oma- I ate poorly the other day and got up three times to take antacids. That should remind me to eat well if nothing else does! It is a lifelong battle!
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I am still hanging in there. Spring is still a little chilly here, which I like. Just thinking of the hot humid days of summer slows me down..LOL...but in the mean time. My "what seems to be a life long" project of getting my office cleaned out is keeping me moving AND missing all my good shows on TV..boohoo!
The reflux must be in the weather! I had a case last night too. But, I did have to much carrot cake, and the real stuff too so the mystery of where it came from in, well not a mystery! I wasn't craving sweets either, I just went to long without eating, ate late and just wanted a little sommin-sommin..So, today it's a dandylion smoothie with berries and an apple. We are having a beautiful tenderlion for dinner with a side salad and I think I might add some asparaugus in there too, adding beans to my salad, holding fruit of melon and pineapple on the side for later...
I am walking on my treadmill. It was fun going with a friend to the gym, but she doesn't get off work until 2:00 and that really cramps my style from getting anything done around here and believe me. THERE"S lots to get done!! So, walking on the treadmill for me now and riding my bike, it's perfect weather for that and I can get it done early in the am. so I don't have to think about it later...
I have all my meats and veggies to cut up and ready for the freezer from yesterday shopping. It's nice break from all this paperwork...I am down to one large crate and a small box...YEAH! DH is estacially happy..LOL..he doing all the shredding too...but starts to reminince when he see things from 10 years
ago!!
It's so nice to see you guys here. It does get lonely and quiet here.
:ymhug: :ymhug:
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I am having a good day. I need to go to the store but I hate to leave mom alone. She needs a bunch of stuff. I need to get some meds transferred to CVS. I run out on Friday but couldn't get it filled before I left. Tucson is sunny and warm. I could move here without too much encouragement if I could find affordable housing. Livin is easy and it isn't even summertime yet!
Aloha,
Leilani

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I love Az. too. Love the dry air. But, being from San Diego, I am used to it. I love the colors of Az..I have always wanted to go back. We have relitives here that are from the east coast and moving to AZ soon. They are building a house, they are in their 70's too, but act like they are in their early 50's, there health is good too. Living the dream..
=)) =))
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have been eating all day, but only LDL. I don't know how Kathy does it, being tied down all day. My ex husband called today, but his Mom was sleeping so we talked about the kids and the up-coming wedding. His mother was MIL to me for 30 years so she adopted me and has been my Mom for 45 years. She is forgetful and sometimes thinks I am still married to her son. I can talk to her about family members who have passed and her grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren. She loves to listen to the same old jazz that I like and my daughter sings jazz (juliesingsjazz.com) so we get along fine. She is set in her ways and I have to contradict her when she thinks she can skip some meds and double up on others. She tends to believe me though because she knows I am an RN. It is so important to eat things that improve your health and to lose those excess lbs. Hope you are having good weather too. Spring is the time for a new awakening. Live well.
Aloha,
Leilani

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I took care of my folks for a long time. Coming up with all idea's just to get me out of the house and them too. Some communities have "store shoppers" for you in the store. Call your local store and see if they do this. They can do all the actual in store shopping for you and have it ready by the time you get there. All you have to do is pay and leave. Even on hot days I could do this leaving Mom in the car with the air on. Most days, I would put Mom in the stores go carts and she would follow me around, or more ofter than not roam all over the store getting into conversations with other folks, the highlite of her day! I swear, to this day I never knew someone could spend HOURS in the card section of the store!! She'd meet so many interesting people, to this day are still good friends...
Some store's deliver, and some do it for free depending on your needs. It's worth the call to ask.
I started using all drive thru's, anything.. Prescriptions, food..run all the errands, swing in pick up lunch and hit the nearest park to eat.. When my Dad was sick, as long as he had the energy to get in the car, I would take my Mom's wheel chair and push him around the fruit and veggie stands. He loved that..our favorite days together.
On some days, just sitting outside on the back porch reading Dear Abby was better than doing laundry..Those laundry days became favorites with my Mom. I washed and dried everything then brought them in, dump them in her "designated dump spot" too fold and making stacks for me to swing in and pick up and put away. She was a big help at dinner too. I would put the veggies in front of her. She cleaned and cut them all up, then I would wash and cook...on the days my Dad was good. I washed dishes, Mom in wheel chair would dry, hand to Dad, he would stack on table for me to put away. This always reminded us of our Thanksgiving dinners. We would have assembly lines cleaning up the kitchen. NO BODY GOT OUT OF IT!! NOOOOOO BODY!! I didn't realize how much time and energy these simply things saved me...and it kept them busy and feeling useful too.
You are doing such a good thing helping Kathy out, and giving her a much needed break. WE can all use one of those!
Still cool here. Beautiful outside though, birds singing,dogs barking, sounds of kids playing in the back yard. Sounds of life moving forward......
I gotta get outside..
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I don't mind going to the store to shop for food and it seems like I find mark downs which I love. Friday I found some probiotic Greek yogurt for $.50 and I bought 6. This morning I used up the rest of my crushed pineapple, some mango, and I rinsed the mandarin oranges in light fruit syrup. I added a couple packs of Stevia to the yogurt and it was great, especially sitting out on the "Lanai". Love this life I am living. :x
Aloha,
Leilani

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I think Arizonian's call it the Veranda...LOL..
=))
zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

No an Arizona room, but I was drinking from my Hawaiian mug. =))
Aloha,
Leilani

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Just going to sit out on Julie's porch and get some sun and fresh air and have a cup of rooiboos tea. I miss your blogs, hope you are busy taking care of your self. Life can be a tea party or a pity party, your choice.
Aloha,
Leilani