Omalani's excellent adventure

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
omalani
Master Member

Omalani's excellent adventure

Post by omalani »

I am planning my food daily for the following day. I don't know what will unfold for me, but I can eat the foods that are right for my body and have the energy to serve God in any way He wants me too, and give God the glory.

Monday
breakfast: Fruit smoothie with banana, butterbeans, apple and cinnamon and a dash of splenda to taste.
Lunch: 1 piece chicken, Tabbouleh salad with quinoa, green beans
Dinner: Minestrone soup, salad with EVOO and lemon drsg. *love*
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: Omalani's excellent adventure

Post by crickadoodle »

The tabbouleh salad is the only questionable choice that I see, unless the minestrone soup has pasta in it, then it would also be a bit of an off choice.  You want to stay away from grains and anything made from grains.  Quinoa is a grain, although if you have to have a grain, it is probably the best one to pick.

Welcome to Let's Do Lunch, omalani.  Hope it works for you like so many of us have found it to work for us.  :thumbsup:
chewy

Post by chewy »

hi omalani! what  a great idea posting your daily meal plan!are you going to include any popcorn/corn thins ever?happy day to you and look forward to seeing your daily meals posted!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

On a previous post, Omalani (Leilani) stated the Minestroni Soup was LDL.
Guess she got it off the boards.
She has been loosing steadily so hopefully the Quinoa won't slow her down right now.
I have 2 unopened bags of Quinoa that I bought in case I just had to have some sort of hot cereal.
But because I was stalled for so long I have been afraid to try it.
Keep us posted Leilani on how it affects you.
The meal plan a day ahead is an excellent idea!
Helps keep the rest of us motivated!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Welcome, Omalani, to this wonderful and very healthy way of eating.
Pam
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I too had a big bag of quinoa and used only 1 cup precooked in my salad which is less than 1/4 cup in a large serving. I am very sensitive to wheat and popcorn is a trigger food so I am avoiding it. I can't find the corn thins anywhere!! I have type 2 diabetes and hypertension so I need to stay away from the salt.
Marga, I know a little German from 2 tours in your beautiful country. My first grandchild was born in Karlsruhe in the Krankenhaus.
My daughter met her husband who was stationed in Karlsruhe, so when our tour was up we left her in Germany. She lived on the economy and worked for a German company, so she was covered by German health care. After 2 years we left Arizona and went to Turkey, stopping in Karlsruhe to see my granddaughter. Long story but that's how I became Oma. My name is Leilani, I was born in Honolulu. (Same hosp. as the President and when I met him in Iowa he assured me it was still there.) One of My daughters (I have 4) has a German mother-in-law, so I became Omalani. Lani on the end of Hawaiian names means heavenly, so that makes me a heavenly gramma. lol I am feeling so good on the LDL program and it will be my WOE for the rest of my life. I have lost 15 lbs. since I started on 10/10/12 I had surgery for skin cancer on my nose and have been off work since then. My family is amazed at how quickly I have healed. I am amazed at how good I feel, very little arthritic pain, none of the allergic sinusitis I usually get in the fall and my blood sugar is stable on less medication. My immune system is strong and I feel better than I have in years. I thank God and Linda RN who I work with for bringing this plan into my life. I will be 70 in a few weeks and still working nightshift. I have been an RN since I was 20. But as much as I know about the body and nutrition, the cravings have always done me in. I am a stress eater, but I have found I can handle the stress better when I'm not "carbed out" And I also have more energy. The test will be when I go back to work. (12 hour shifts!!) Today I am grateful and I continue my journey. God bless you all and thank you for the replies.
Aloha,
Leilani

I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The motto for you is "Be Prepared".
Take fruit for snacks and big bowls of bean soups.
On night shift, you could have more time to cook at work with a crock pot.
I did it starting out. But then we got busy so now I try to cook on the weekend and bring soup with me.
On desperate days when I have nothing prepared, I opt for Braum's grilled chicken salad.
I like to keep canned green beans in my locker so sometimes I will get a rotisserie chicken from WalMart to have some breast with the green beans and the left-overs go to soup! You are fortunate to have been home to loose enough weight that I am sure the thought of undoing all you have accomplished will make turing down any "goodies" that show up at work a breeze.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I ate all the green beans last night so I wrapped my chicken in lettuce leaves. I sauteed the chicken with peppers and onion and put fat free refried bean gravy on them. I seasoned it with Mrs, Dash Caribbean and lime and it was good. I was surprised by the smoothie with 1/4 cup butterbeans, it was excellent, no splenda needed. I will probably finish the LDL minestrone tonight. I am getting used to feeling good, better than all the carbs in the world. :D
Aloha,
Leilani

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

And the feeling good just gets better.
BTW you can get on the message boards at work....not blocked.
Consider it health ed info time!
Linda

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Today I seemed hungry all day. I think I need protein in the morning. The quinoa might have triggered the hunger too. No more grains. I snacked on grapes, but just had a few at a time and it was very satisfying. I had 2 bowls of soup and no salad for dinner.
I also had a bowl of SF jello with light cool whip and grapes tonight. Watching TV is an eating trigger for me. Maybe I need to get a good book from the library. Some days I seem obsessed with food. I did go to water aerobics and swam 8 laps after breakfast.
I made some french drsg today: 1 sm. can tomato sauce, 2/3 can vinegar and 1/3 can EVOO, 2 tbs. mustard and splenda
menu:
B. 2 egg omelet with onions and peppers, 1 large grapefruit
L. Large salad with chicken, garbanzo beans and french drsg., cup of LDL cauliflower soup
D. 15 bean soup, with onions and smoked turkey drumette  (Didn't use seasoning packet) baked apple with cinnamon and some apple juice concentrate.
My book and recipe cards have not arrived yet so I'm winging it.
Aloha,
Leilani

tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Sounds like you're doing a great job.  On days when you are hungry, don't worry about eating -- as long as you're eating LDL approved foods.  I'm just starting back and read the LDL e-book and throughout Roger says it's our job to eat when we are hungry.  Ain't that nice  :)

Your meal plan sounds great!  I made some 15 bean soup yesterday and it wasn't very seasoned, kind of bland.  But I will continue eating all of it and next time add the Hot Rotel to the beans.

Have a great day!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I just got home from the YMCA, did water tone for arthritics and swam 10 laps. I ate my salad and only half of my soup and I'm stuffed. I know you are not supposed to weigh daily but I was down 1 lb. since Yesterday when I was"eating all day long". I'm down 16lbs, since 10/10/12. When I went to Calif. for my 50th HS reunion my good friend told me my problem was portion control, and I believed her, she's normal weight and eats lean cuisine most every night. I thought I would be fat for the rest of my life, because I love to cook and I love to eat. When Linda RN told me I could eat till I was full, whenever I was hungry, I thought "Oh yaaah" but you don't know how much I can eat!! *evil* I followed instructions and I'm amazed, God has given me the desires of my heart. I've learned that "good food" can be the right foods and I don't have to feel guilty every time I eat. When I can eat anytime 5 grapes is enough instead of eating 1/2 lb. If I want more I can Have it and the funny thing is I don't feel that same compulsion that comes from an attitude of scarcity. I don't have to hide food, or hoarde food, I'm free!! When I can have it, I don't always want it. Does that even make sense? Now I have an attitude of gratitude. I'm truly thankful for a God who loves me just the way I am and gives me freedom and wisdom to grow into the person He created me to be. I am reinventing myself and God is recreating me. Let's get on with the menu:
11/14/12
B. Smoothie with butterbeans, banana, stwaberry and grapes.
L. Blackened Salmon, Brussel sprouts, cuke, carrot and celery sticks with Hummus
D. LDL White chili and salad with lemon and EVOO
Last edited by omalani on August 4th, 2013, 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Lani -- I remember when I had the same epiphany!!  It was the most awesome thing.  I prayed for a Livet -- not a Diet -- something I could live with and be healthy and slim.  I never imagined it could be so fulfilling and yummy.  There actually is something happening in your body because you are getting away from eating HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) and other refined sugars that mess with your body's ability to know when it is really full.  You probably became leptin resistant -- like diabetics are insulin resistant.  The hormone leptin is the satiety hormone and HFCS really does a number on it.  I remember the old days when I'd even be hurting from being stuffed, but I wasn't satisfied.  I'd stand in front of the refrigerator or pantry and wonder, "What do I want to eat now?"  It so had to do with satisfaction.  When you eat real food -- fruits and veggies and beans and good meats -- they satisfy you.  I love that all the smells, colors and textures on Let's Do Lunch really make me satisfied. 

I'm so happy for you.  This is not a dream, it is real.  I was so amazed at how much weight I lost.  Many of us found that we even went below our goal weight when sticking with LDL.  God is so good, isn't He?  *love*
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Today I posted on the medical post about my DM 2. I will start out with going to the Dr. in the morning and getting fasting lab work. Then start my daily menu.
B. Banana, pear, and grapes
L. Salad with tuna and mock honey drsg. (vinegar & a little EVOO, mustard and Splenda)LDL Fried apple dessert
D. LDL minestrone soup and strawberry smoothie
Snack = Fruit ad lib
I have an appt. with my surgeon to get cleared to return to work. It's been a healing time off, so Sunday I am going back to be a nightshift nurse, but a more passionate one after going through surgery myself. Thanks to God and the LDL program for my speedy recovery.
Aloha,
Leilani

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I don't know what happened to my post, it's probably in cyberspace. I had a fruit smoothie, an orange and cantaloupe for bkt and am going out to lunch after my Dr. appt., but will have a salad with fish or chicken and take my own drsg. Here is my menu
11/16
B. Cheese stick and med. grapefruit
L. Salad with tuna and LDL honey mustard drsg.; 1  cup 15 Bean soup
D. Upside down pizza, mixed raw veggies
11/17
B. corned beef and turnip hash and a poached egg, fruit smoothie
L,  Minestrone soup (Left overs) cukes, carrots and celery with wedge of lite laughing cow cheese
D. Upside Down Pizza (posted in entrees) salad with EVOO and lemon juice, Fruit smoothie
Yesterday 11/15 I messed up, I had a greek plate with pita bread, hummus, rolled grape leaves, a falafel and a spanakopita.
I had leftover bean soup and fruit for dinner. I had my labwork drawn today so I ate my cheese stick and grapefruit before water aerobics. I also swam another 10 laps, that's almost a mile this week. I am so comfortable with this program. I saw Linda RN at the store and enjoyed chatting, she's my inspiration and my angel. :angel:  Thank you Roger for your magnanamous heart, and sharing this with so many people suffering from obesity.
Last edited by omalani on November 17th, 2012, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Omalani, so nice having you on the boards.  :thumbsup:  JF
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I just read the label on the corned beef and it has sugar so I'm having my egg with turnips!! They put sugar in everything!! I also had fruit and some popcorn my DH brought home from the movies (abut 3 cups) and my bloodsugar was 203 this morning, That's the highest fasting sugar I've had. No corn for me, I guess it triggers me and especially at night. I hope I get the book soon!! For today I will have the upside down pizza at lunch and the soup for dinner. This is a work in progress and I hope I don't expect miracles overnight but can't help but want them, The lack of craving sweets is a miracle for me. I also see I can't get sloppy in how I prepare foods and not read labels. Also as a diabetic I will need to limit high glycemic fruits to morning and only 1 banana or grapes, not both.
Enjoyed the turnip sauted in 1 tsp. coconut oil with onions with my poached egg on top and had a pear. Sometimes I eat between meals when I am not really hungry so I'm going to exercise or take a nap, or read journals so I'm not thinking about eating all the time. This is a great program and I'm not going to sabotage myself before I really get started. Please pray for me because I know without God this is just another diet. Today is the Sabbath and I am reminded that God created me in His image and His plans for me are to prosper and be in good health. I put some makeup on for the first time since my cancer surgery and I am blessed to see no scars at all. I know it was taking the processed carbs and sugars out of my diet that helped me to heal so quickly and the hands of a surgeon who God has blessed. Thank you for all the replies, I am a people person and I feel connected to you all.  :inlove:
Last edited by omalani on November 17th, 2012, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Menu for 11/18
B. Smoothie with banana, apple peelings, cinnamon and concentrated apple jc.and 1/2 cup navy beans.
L. Smoothie with apple peels and chrushed pineapple in jc. Large mug of pea soup
D. Minestrone soup and salad with 2 Tbs. ranch drsg. with tuna, and 1 c. bean salad
S. I will have an orange, and unfried apples at work} eat dinner at 630PM and have the fruit at work.
I am only working 8 hours
I may have mentioned before but I peel my apples for unfried apples and use the peels to make the apple smoothie. My Mom used to say all the vitamins are in the peelings. I modified the menu switching lunch and dinner because I'm going to nap in the afternoon.
Last edited by omalani on November 18th, 2012, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I always use apples with the peels as well.  Even in cooking.
Pam