Mtngirl's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
mtngirl

Mtngirl's Journal

Post by mtngirl »

Starting over again. I was going to start on January 1, but after rereading message board decided to go ahead and start. Right now I am sitting at my kitchen table with my new Christmas present IPad trying to figure out how it works.

This morning I made the hot blueberry pie for breakfast and it was so delicious that I picked out all the peach slices from my bag of frozen fruit that I usually use for smoothies and made hot peach pie. I am going to save it for later.

Breakfast - Hot blueberry pie, coffee

Lunch - Vegetable Soup, corn thins spread with some leftover ham salad, apple.

Dinner - Will be smoothie, soup, salad with baked chicken breast and if still hungry my hot peach pie.
(Is it really ok to have two bananas a day?)

I have restarted LDL so many times but have always stopped in the past because my body can' t seem to tolerate the beans which I love. This time I am going to eat my favorite LDL meats (steak, roast, grilled chicken, etc.) and bypass the bean meals. I hope I can still be able to break my bread cravings without the beans.

Happy New Year Everyone,
Alisa
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Mtngirl's Journal

Post by MsHeirloom »

Welcome back, Alisa! Happy New Year!!!
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

Welcome Back Alisa, you are off to a great start!
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Brunch - two eggs, bacon, two corn thins

Snack - grapes

Dinner - hamburger steak with onions and mushrooms, cauliflower mashed potatoes, salad. (Lettuce with two spoons of slaw on top as dressing).

Snack - pumpkin delight
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Great idea to put the slaw on top! I make slaw sometimes with EVOO and lemon jc. The beauty of it is having it prepared ahead. I made a hot pumpkin smoothie a few days ago and used the can of pumpkin so I used half and put the other half in a mason jar. This morning I put it in my mug and nuked it. I think it tasted better than the first time around. I went to a bible study last night. We eat dinner then have the study and they serve dessert at the end. I took a banana, an apple and orange. I was happy because the only thing LDL was some spinach. I had the sweet fruit and so I didn't even crave the dessert they were serving. It was a great study and I left spiritually fed. I made some popcorn when I got home and had an apple. I had a good night and slept 7 hours. Life is good!
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Thanks Omalani. I had slaw recently made with raspberry vinaigrette and was surprised at how delicious that was.
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Breakfast - smoothie
Lunch - schloop, cole slaw
Snack - popcorn
Dinner - pumpkin delight
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Breakfast - smoothie
Lunch - hamburger steak, slaw, texas caviar (don't really care for this ), blueberry pie
Snack - popcorn
Dinner - bacon, scrambled eggs, grapes, banana. Nothing tasted right and the eggs looked weird. Did not even taste the eggs.

I'm actually having a problem coming up with something to eat for dinner. Tonight I was hungry and needed protein. I should not be hungry. I had a large lunch....but I am!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

One thing that fills me up in addition to popcorn which is my first go to, is corn thins or rye crisps with hummus and veggies (like sliced cukes or tomatoes, shredded carrots, be creative) or tuna, chicken or fake crab salads. I was in weight watchers in the 60's when you were supposed to eat fish 5 X a week!! I find my losses are greater with fish or chicken and less with red meats and cheese. Don't worry about it because somedays you are just hungrier. Stick with LDL foods and buy things you like to eat. Make smoothies like pumpkin or apple with a lot of cinnamon in large amounts and store the leftovers in a mason or recycled glass mayo, pasta sauce or salsa jar. They usually have vaccum lids and if you start with a hot jar and pour your hot smoothie in and put them in the fridge after they have cooled a little they will develope a vaccum. You can hear the pop when you open them a week later. I freeze the fruit smoothies but enjoy the hot one reheated in the micro wave. I find I need to write things down and be accountable for what I eat. Soups are good at night. I love the Israeli chip pea soup becase it is a base for other flavors, like corn chowder, broccoli or asperagus, or throw in some drained blackbean/corn chowder. I suppose you could mix it with leftover spaghetti sauce and have an Italian tomato bisque. Veggies like butternut squash fries or chopped salads can fill you up to. The most important thing is to be prepared so you are not looking around too much when you are hungry. I am learning that being hungry will not kill me, in fact it makes the meal more enjoyable when you finially eat. Life is good. (That's my mantra)
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

IF YOU ARE HUNGRY EAT!! Doesn't mattter about the "shoulda, woulda's or shouldn't be's" EAT!
What kind of food so you like to eat, keeping LDL in mind :D

What works for me is having the Chickpea soup on hand at all times! And, although I have a huge protein lunch, I keep pieces of chicken or turkey on hand too, just for times like these. I'll heat up the soup and add big chunks of fresh veggies I have on hand, or I use frozen and I'll eat a couple pieces of chicken breast on the side.
I stopped trying to figure out what NOT to eat, when I wanted to eat. I don't care when it hits me, I just eat LDL until it's over. I try and "stick to the rules" as close as possible, but some days it's harder and than on some days it seems impossible and I blow it. That's stinking thinking! I am changing my way of thinking now.
IF I just remember, when the moments of "not so good" or the "monster is coming" are here, I eat the LDL foods until I am stuffed! Some nights I just want to eat and don't know why. Instead of getting frustrated and making a hundred trips to the fridge. I will eat a big bowl OR 2, of just corn or frozen mixed veggies with a little cumin spice, add some beans to it if, I have them on hand and then try and figure out what it is I am craving. Most times now, after I do this. I am not wanting anything else. I love those nights. I still have my popcorn too.
My body is adjusting to these changes I am putting it through. They are good changes, so I am now trying to be a little bit more patient with it and let it make those changes for the better without so much interference from the "stinking thinking" part of my brain!
I have also started, every three of four days, having my protein for dinner. I'll eat a big salad or bowl of beans and veggies for lunch and then eat my meat at dinner, having popcorn and a smoothie for a late snack and maybe a handful of soy nuts. The next day I crave my chicken for lunch so, again, I'll have a big portion of that and veggie's and athen I don't usually crave protein at night after that.
It's a system that is working for me. Trying new things and different ways that fit our my own life style.
Just keep it LDL foods and you are good to go!
You can do this MTN GIRL!!
:ymhug: :ymhug:
Zesti
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Thank you Omalani and Zesti for your suggestions. I am going to stock up on soups. Soup and an apple would be good at night. Going to make Mary's chicken corn chowder today using some leftover grilled chicken in freezer and also bought ingred. for Joanie's Minestrone.

Today was the end of the first week and so I just had to weigh in. Lost 2.5 pounds. Doesn't sound like much but I'm actually thrilled because I did have two eating out invites where I ate things that were not LDL. Hope to do better this coming week.

Yesterday

Breakfast - half banana and some grapes

Lunch - none

Dinner ( early) - schloop, left over serving of pizza soup. These were quick grabs to heat up from refrigerator. I was starving.

Snacks - popcorn, pumpkin delight, hummus and corn thins. This was the first time for hummus and was I surprised. Delicious!!!!
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Was surfing the net and saw a recipe for mock corn bread made out of white beans. Anyone done that? It was all LDL ingredients.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

CONGRADULATIONS on the 2.5 pounds. I think that's GREAT! :ymparty: :ymparty: It's certainly going in the right direction..Yeah!
I would love to have your recipe and/or the site . I am always playing with me beans!
This is one from an old south beach blog using beans and a whole lot of fake sweetener. I don't do any of the fake sweeteners anymore, stevia if the need be, but I am going to play with this one and just try adding grilled corn, as I prefer a "not so sweet corn bread anyway" Recipe will follow...

Search under our LDL site for Mom's Corn Bread, this was posted by Roger. It is using corn flour though, I haven't tried it. For me, it's testing fate, and I have enough of that going on without adding more.

Is is corn muffins you want? or just a biscuit type of thing?? Gwenaford and Mary Simmons posted a WONDERFUL post on the banzo biscuits. I have tried these and love em. Even these I look at as a "treat".
Here's the short cut. I hope it works. If it doesn't just put in Banzo Biscuits in the search engine, and you should go right to it. Lots of good reading on biscuits period, that's for sure...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4524&p=123364&hilit=Banzo+Biscuits#p123364
If it's bread you are craving though. I do just what the book says. I eat a bowl or how ever many it take to get me over the craving. I don't crave it anymore though, because I have my corn thin for sandwiche and bun use. And I love a tomato sandwich at night with what I call "my fake white bean mayo".
:ymhug:
Zesti
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Just want to thank you Linda for the cornthins.com web site. Got such wonderful ideas.

For breakfast today, I had a BLT made with corn thins and a few grapes. Only have few slices of bacon left and then I will switch to ham or Canadian bacon.

For lunch, I had hamburger steak, cauliflower mashed potatoes, salad with Texas caviar on top. I really don't like the caviar...I hate to waste food but I am just going to dump that stuff in the trash. For dessert, I had about one third of a serving of pumpkin delight. I was only hungry for half of the steak and cauliflower.

For dinner, I will start with a fruit smoothie and then if still hungry have my lunch leftovers.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I bought organic non-gmo corn meal from Amazon to make cornbread for hubby.
I use one cup cornmeal, 2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 egg, 2 TBSP oil, and 3/4 to one cup milk (I don't measure). I usually use 1/2 buttermilk and dilute with 1/2 milk or water. Hubby does not like sweet cornbread and this satisfies him.
We do not eat it regularly, maybe once or twice a week. He likes it on his beans or chili.
Best to leave even this bread alone until you have lost a significant amount.
Then you will just have to see how it affects you.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

mtngirl, oops I am sorry. I said I would add a receipe to my post and got called away. Here it is...

Mock cornbread
-1 can great northern beans drained and rinsed
-4 eggs
-1t salt
-1t baking powder
-2T olive oil
-1/3 C sugar substitute
*the original recipe called for 1T cumin and 1t Tabasco but I omitted it b/c that was for the mexican casserole.

Combine all ingredients in the blender and process until smooth.Pour in a 11x7 pan and bake at 400 until toothpick is clear when inserted in the center(25 min in my crazy oven.)Works well as muffins too!

Also, because I LOVE MY CORN THINS! I add cumin to a white beans or gabonza, smash and spread like butter on my corn thins. This makes me think I am eating corn bread...hmmm..
Zesti
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Thanks Zesti. Do you think this would be ok without sweetener. I can't imagine eating sweet corn bread.

Ok folks. Tried something different for lunch and it actually turned out great. I'm cooking for one and my huge pot of schloop is lasting a long time so today I was heating up my portion and sprinkled taco seasoning on it, put it on top of my shredded lettuce, sprinkled on cheese, salsa, chopped onion and black olives......taco salad. It would have been perfect if I had a tiny dollop of ff sour cream. That and my corn thins and a few bites of pumpkin delight made for a great lunch. Usually when I have taco salad, I will have a side of pinto beans, but the schloop already has the beans in it. Quick and easy and very delicious. Let me think now.....what else can I make out of Jaz's schloop!!!! Next time I make a pot, I am going to leave out the corn and just have corn on the cob on the side. You can put it in spaghetti sauce, use it as a base for a great many soups.....
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

When I did eat corn bread. I preferred non-sweet. I live in the south now, so sometimes that's hard to come by when eating at friends, but, because I knew it was a sweet thing. I passed on it or ate it for dessert, and then ate way to much!
I kept this recipe, well, because it is with beans, and I LOVE my beans! Thinking, if, and when I made it the first time, I would normally leave out the sugar anyway. so that's what I'll do.
I have never put sugar in with my beans, so I don't know what the reaction, if any, there would be regarding the consistency. Usually with sugar, it's just a sweetener. But ya never know. I think the BP is the trick here to make it rise and the fat in the eggs and oil. Even with most recipes I do, I leave out the fats, but since these are such good for ya fats. I won't do it the first time..
I going to make this today or tomorrow, so I'll let ya know how it turns out.

You are doing so good with your "schloop". I call mine "My Bean Pot" I cook a huge batch up from dried.
For lunch, I will cook my veggie, what ever is in the house, and then my protein and add my beans to that!
I don't add "flavors" like Mexican or Chinese until I go to prepare my meal. The spice flavor is what changes everything, and that depends on the mood I am in.
I also, cook several spaghetti squashes at one time and use them as bowls. this works great when I am in the Italian mood or with Mary's Tomato Soup..I eat Mary's Corn Chowder in a winter squash bowl..yummy. I don't add the meat when I make a big pot. I do that according to what meal I am eating. I have a squash bowl full of it at night when I am super hungry and don't want to add meat, or I will add my turkey meat balls to it, if I want. A little evoo and garlic powder toasted on a corn thin IS MY GARLIC bread! with or without being in an Italian mood... :D
It's just me and my DH, but I still cook for 10 !..I just freeze it, and/or change it up in some way, like you did with the taco seasoning.
If you have friends. When you go to their house, ask if you can look at their spices...See if they have any you don't have or those that you have never tried. Borrow a little bit. Take it home and put in on something too taste. Then buy it if you like it.. Changing just the spice changes make or breaks a meal and a mood!! I am now trying spices I never thought I liked. Because my taste buds are changing. I have a wonderful mix of friends. Chinees, Jamican, Sourthern, Northern and Western, Purto Rican, Mexian so you can imagine what my spice cabinet is looking like. I try all of theirs first... :D :D
Cabbage and chicken seem to be what I want all the time. And, you can imagine what I add to that! especially when I am cleaning out my fridge and using up all my little bits of this and that's..
The idea's are endless...There is one thing I try and remember EVERY DAY, well there's a few of them really, but one of my favorites is... IT TAKES AS MUCH TIME TO COOK SOMETHING BAD AS IT DOES SOMETHING GOOD!! If I am only cooking LDL then I am only eating good.
Sorry, I do get carried away!
:ymhug: :ymhug:
Zesti
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Last night for dinner, I had meatloaf, cauliflower mashed potatoes, slaw, pumpkin delight. I basically had two protein meals yesterday, but it was all LDL and I was hungry.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

If you are hungry. EAT! any time of the day, eat until you are no longer hungry. Keep it LDL and you don't even have to think about it.
I make the meat loaf in the book and triple the amount! I LOVE meat loaf!!
You did GREAT! :ymparty: I know when I am craving mashed potatoes. No matter the time of day, but for me, it's mostly at night. I just open a can of butter beans, microwave, add some salt, pepper and a little evoo or lite smart balance and I a one happy puppy.
I was actually craving califlower last week. I made a big bowl of the califlower salad, it's like a mock potatoe salad. I will eat tons of this and the Beantatoe salad in summer. But, hey at night. I micorwave it warm for my dinner.
You GO GF,
Zesti