Gwennaford's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
cameron
Master Member

Re: Gwennaford's Journal

Post by cameron »

Hi Gwen- you AND your friend are amazing. What is the red hat society about?
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Cameron, I think it is a copyright violation to post the poem in its entirety, so don't tell on me, okay?  In a nutshell, when you are 50 years old you can wear the red hat and purple dress to outings with other ladies dressed the same way.  It's all about having fun and not worrying about what other people are thinking and saying about you.  Before you turn 50 you can still participate, but "youngsters" wear pink hats and lavender dresses.  When you join, you can either be invited, or request to join an existing chapter in your area, or crown yourself as "Queen" and start your own chapter, inviting other ladies to join you.  Check out the links to learn more.

Gwennaford wrote:At the flea market today I met a bunch of ladies from the Red Hat Society who invited me to join them.  So I bought my first RED HAT today!  YAY!  I'll post a picture when I get my purple dress.  If you don't know what this is, you can look it up at  

I found an excerpt of the poem on which the RHS is based.  Apparently, you now have to PURCHASE the poem if you want to read the whole thing...What's up with THAT?  But I found one on another site that may be the entire thing...

By Jenny Joseph

WARNING

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other peoples gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Loves, Gwennford
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 30th, 2010, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Yes, I love Kris very much.  She is truly an inspiration. 

Joyful, Bok Choy is different from Chinese Cabbage, which, unless I'm mistaken, is also known as Napa Cabbage.  It is sweet and delicate, crinkly curly and very crunchy.  Use the whole thing, just slicing the white part of the stems a little thinner.  Bok choy would be a good addition to the soup, too.  Use all of it, green and white parts both.  I liked Coding Queen's suggestion of adding snow pea pods.  Canned bean sprouts can be substituted for fresh if necessary.  Only cook all of the above a minute to two to retain their shape and texture so they don't get mushy, or pour the boiling broth over them in the bowl as the recipe suggests.  I like to slice them straight across into about 1/2-inch ribbons, then chop through your stack of ribbons a time or two to make them neater to eat in the soup.

Image   Chinese or Napa Cabbage     Image   Bok Choy
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 30th, 2010, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Just running through some documents and found these motivational words of wisdom:

091809 Joyce Meyer quote from Mrs J.:  Had to share what my Joyce Meyer devotion book said for 9/18:

Making Healthy Choices

"Learn to do everything you do for God's glory, including eating.  Look at your dinner plate and ask if what you are about to eat is mostly what God created for you.  Don't view eating as a secular event that has nothing to do with your relationship with God.  Don't forget that God put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and told them what they could eat.  If eating had nothing to do with their walk with Him, He probably would not have mentioned food.  Make good choices! Each time you choose good healthy foods, you are choosing life, which is God's gift to you.  He wants you to look great and feel great, and you can, if you keep in mind that your body is the temple of God and the fuel you put into it determines how it will operate and for how long."

Gwen (grape girl)  ...   Here's the problem with lots of folks on Let's Do Lunch...they try to reinvent the wheel...they read things into their weight fluctuations that really have nothing to do with their weight loss. The body does strange things, in retaining water at different times, etc. For example, people will plateau for awhile and then they try different things to restart their weight loss, and then when they lose more weight they think what they did was what caused it. Well, while that IS possible, always remember this...with Let's Do Lunch, if you just keep on keeping on, doing it correctly, you WILL lose all the weight you want, plateau or no plateau. In other words, stay off your scale and just don't worry about losing weight...just worry about doing Let's Do Lunch correctly and everything will be just fine.  I know everyone wants to lose the weight quickly, but Let's Do Lunch is really NOT that kind of program, unless you want to eat strictly fruits and fruit smoothies for breakfast and for dinner, each and every day until you lose all the weight you want. Well, I'm here to tell you...that is hard to do, day in and day out. That said, I do suggest you do that very thing like twice a week, which WILL jump-start your weight loss again.God bless and enjoy,Roger Troy

Okay, Grape Girl, now I understand what happened to you.  ...  Listen carefully, Sweet Gwen.
You are eating out of HABIT, Not because you are hungry.  Again, you are eating out of Habit, NOT because you are hungry.
Here is what I suggest.  ...  I would start every meal with some beans, like beans in your fruit smoothie for breakfast, or eggs over mashed and heated fat-free refried beans.  For lunch, start with one of the bean soups. The same for dinner, or start with the Butter-bean mashed potatoes, or a 4-bean salad, or a can of just drained and heated butter beans, etc. Also, after you have had your beans, wait 3 to 5 minutes before eating anything else. And finally, before putting anything into your mouth STOP and ask yourself if you are truly hungry or if you are just eating out of HABIT!
Sooo thankful for you,
RT
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 1st, 2010, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, said Gwen,

I am going to eat healthy no matter what the scales say from day to day. I know that eliminating all the empty unhealthy calories from what I eat has to translate to weight loss. I just keep eating what I know has been laid out before me. If I stray even for the healthy but slightly more fattening things, I accept it and move forward until I can let those things go also. I know as long as my choices are healthy ones, it will not completely de-rail me.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I've been washing dishes by hand recently, but since I've been cooking a lot this week I had a lot more dirty dishes so I ran them through the dishwasher last night.  Guess what???  The dishwasher was still full of dirty soapy water this morning.  Tried running it through another cycle, thinking maybe I started the timer in the wrong place.  Well, apparently the pump stopped working, because it flooded, so my kitchen floor flooded.  AGAIN.   :blink:

This is getting really old.  Too many important parts of my life have died since March 24.  

REST IN PEACE:

My husband
the clothes washer
the refrigerator
the immersion blender
the dishwasher

I'm drawing a line in the sand!  I hereby set a hedge of protection around myself, my family, and our belongings.  Satan, in the Name of Jesus, I declare that I, my family, and all our possessions are GOD's property and I COMMAND you to TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF!  

My Lord, holding nothing back, all that I have and all that I am, I give to you.  

Job 1:21 - "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

Click on the link and play the video:
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 1st, 2010, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Gwen, thanks for the answer and pictures of Chinese cabbage and Boxchoy.  You are so considerate and knowledgeable.  I'll have to make the soup next week.  We are going to have a Red Hat meeting this coming week to honor one of  our own who went before us to heaven.  I bought two more red hats at the flea market---they came from Fla.  One is made by  a New York designer--quite old.  I think I'll wear it.  :D Joyful Friend
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

JF - I would love to see you in your hats.  There is a big Red Hat store in a nearby flea market where I bought my first hat.  I need to get back there for some more bling.  We are going to a restaurant on the beach tomorrow and the Queen has called for FULL REGALIA!  Hope the wind doesn't carry away all our finery!

ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Thank you Mary.  That IS comforting.  I keep coming back to Psalms Ch. 30:5; 11-12 -- "...weeping may remain for a night, but JOY comes in the morning...You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."

Beautiful HOT morning!  At midnight last night it was 85 degrees and about 80% humidity in my bedroom.  Even with two fans running the bed felt sticky and damp so I was finally forced to turn on the a/c.  No cross ventilation in my room.  I worked for a long time to get the windows open, only to realize the house painters had removed the screens!  I have no clue where they are.

Very happy I LOST another 4 pounds last week, down to 306 = 6 pounds less than one year ago at this time.  So Lord willing, another seven pound LOSS next month, and I'll be back in TWOTERVILLE!  :thumbsup:
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 2nd, 2010, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Gwen, you are doing so well.  I loved the humor of the picture.  A lady walked up an isle with her skirt in her panty hose.  Actually happened--I didn't see it.  It is easy to do.  That's the reason I like bare legs. The Queen wants us in full red and purple. Hope I get to do it.  I'm so busy this week with other things.  I care for my 87 yr old sister-in-law.  She lives by herself, but I drive her to Dr,hair, grocery stores, and etc. It's her week.  You are remarkable in not feeling sorry for yourself.  God is the giver of joy.  Happiness is up to us. We make a choice every day.  *love* and  :D :D JF
BMorg

Post by BMorg »

We will celebrate with you when Twoterville arrives!!!! It won't be long now. I can't imagine what it will be like if I ever make it back to ONEDERLAND. I don't even remember when I left it! LOL It seems like I vaguely remember 195, then the next thing I remember was 265.

And the dress tucked into the pantyhose actually happened at our church one time. Talk about a HOOT!!!!  :tongue:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am barely in Onederland now, and holding Praise God.  :thumbsup:  Last time I was there was when I took Phen-Phen. Did not take me long to gain it all back. I am loving loosing now and realizing it will not come back because I am armed with the knowlege of what processsed foods do. I will never be that fat again. Whew, feels good to say that even now.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

BMorg

Post by BMorg »

Linda....I remember the phen-phen days. I like LDL better. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

It was SO HOT at the beach today.  Even with a strong wind the sun was so hot you almost couldn't catch your breath.  Much too hot to be wearing a long purple dress with a big heavy red hat, feather boas and lots of bling, as requested by our hostess.  

I posted a BAD restaurant review of my experience.  

I ALMOST let those restaurant fools ruin my day, but coming back across the giant fixed span bridge to the mainland, I was struck by the brilliant turquoise water and the intense beauty of God's beautiful world.  My anger just evaporated in a cloud of great joy.  I made a point of going home the long way, past a big fresh fruit market run by a Greek family where I bought $80 of fresh produce ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !   I GOTTA LOTTA FRUIT TO EAT! ! ! ! ! ! !  To be fair, there was a $20 tin of first cold pressed Greek EVOO in the order.  Sadly they didn't have any dry roasted chickpeas. I need to go to Tarpon Springs for that.  

In the end, I had a great big fat wonderful day.  I'm full to bursting with fresh fruit.  Part of the death benefit came through yesterday, so I can get a new fridge this week.    :happy:

Loves to all!

P.S.  I never took Phen-Fen or whatever, because heart disease runs in my family.  Thanks be to God I didn't inherit that.  Just got the fat genes, soon to be replaced by skinny jeans!  :)
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 2nd, 2010, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Just a few of these terribly uncomfortable, nothing-going-right days makes those oh-so-calm days so much better.
Linda

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Gwen- I am so glad you didn't let the circumstances of the day ruin your day.  Having a ruined day is almost always a choice (I don't mean when someone's life or health are involved).  But we can choose not to allow a waiter, or a flat tire, or a nasty clerk....  negatively affect our mood.  You have actually done an admirable job of getting by recently given all the deaths surrounding you.  I have been in awe of your attitude.  I'm so relieved that you can now afford a refrigerator.  I wanted to send you a donation, but when you refused a loan from your friend, I thought you would be too proud to accept help.  Keep on keeping on, Gwen.  You are an amazing woman :rose: :rose: :rose:!  Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

All in all, Gwen, you made the best of your day.  Red Hatters need better service than you got.  It's pouring the rain here.  Hope it soon stops or we will have flooding in the area.   I'm happy you are getting a new frig.  :D  Joyful Friend
patns

Post by patns »

So glad you are able to get the new fridge. It does seem that when one major appliance goes the others decide to follow.

You are doing so well on the plan, eating all that healthy food and the pounds are just melting away.

I have the cutest and fanciest little red cat that someone gave our cat as a joke. I'd post a picture of her in it but she doesn't see the beauty or humour in it and has a hissy fit when she sees it.
She will soon be 11 so should meet the age requirements for the group.

Pat
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Hi Gwen,
This will be a bit random, but I was just sitting here listening to harp music and felt the need to tell you that I'm giving up popcorn...won't go into the reasons because Dave just ran past me with a stick...gotta go:-). Oh, if you want to listen too email me with your number and I'll call and put the phone near the soundboard.

Loves,
Julie