Beth B's new journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Beth B's new journal

Post by Joyful Friend »

Beth B, How long are you going to be in Africa?  Where are you in Africa?  Somehow, I've missed your posts.  I admire missionaries so very much.  We have many who we support through our church.  you are doing well on LDL.  Keep it up.  It is a Wonderful WOE.  I don't feel that I've been on a diet, so I never have to go off.  My body just stopped losing.  I am at goal, but still eat mostly LDL.  I never want to go back to the foods that caused me to be over weight in the first place.  I don't plan to ever consume white sugar products again, nor pizza.  With the great recipes on the boards, I can get the taste I want.  I love all the fruits.  I bet you are enjoying the watermelon.  I think i read they are in season.  I bought a personal one the other day, and it was good.  I wonder where it came from?  :thumbsup:  JF
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Hi Joyful Friend! Thanks for taking the time to post.  I followed your weight loss journey and I am so happy for you that you are at goal!  It is also wonderful that you and others who are at goal continue to encourage the rest of us--Thank you!

We are missionaries in the province of Limpopo in the country of South Africa.  We are about 3 hours North of Johannesburg and our ministry headquarters is on a safari game farm that is owned by a South African ministry.  The money made from guests coming to the lodge and going on game drives is put back into their ministry to help children.  Our ministry works a lot with kids too. We are currently feeding 1,000 children every day. Eight short term teams are coming over this year to help us build an after school drop in center and an orphanage and to help with children's ministry and outreach, and we also are organizing a woman's conference, a conference for teenage girls, several pastor's conferences, several vision clinics--we have given away over 30,000 pairs of brand new eyeglasses in the last 5 years, and we have done an annual International medical conference the past 3 years.  We stay pretty busy!  We are always back in the States Sept, Oct., Nov. and Dec.  We just arrived here Jan.5 and will go home to Iowa April 19 for 6 weeks.  We have one full time missionary here with us who stays 9 months out of the year and we have several individuals and families who are coming for extended periods. My husband is the main fundraiser for our ministry so that is why we spend about 1/2 our time in the States.

Yes, the watermelon was delicious!  After dinner tonight, I asked my husband if he would like some and he said yes we probably had better eat it before it goes bad--I brought him the remaining 2 small slices--I had eaten the rest!!! And it was a BIG one!

Yesterday the traditional chief of our town took us to his small farm out in the country.  He gave us beet root and green peppers. I had only tried beets pickled but we boiled them and I was surprised that I really liked it.

I started an exercise class for the women here on the farm. Tonight was the first night.  Most of them either work for us or the lodge or their husbands do. 8 women came (9 including me) and 2 babies--they sat on a blanket and cheered us on! Pretty good considering I just came up with the idea yesterday and it was just word of mouth.  I had planned to use a dvd but must have taken it back to the States so I ended up leading them and we exercised to some songs on Christian CDs that I have.  I have NEVER done anything like this and never thought I would be any good at it, but it worked out really well and they enjoyed it.  None of them have ever been to an exercise class or a gym before so they didn't know what to expect.  I had to explain how to form the rows and to leave enough room in-between for arm movement. We started with the very basic stretches and then cardio, cool down and ended with stretches.  Then we had about 15 minutes to visit before one of the husbands came to pick them all up. It was really fun.

Today I went through my shoes.  I planned to give away most of them as I remembered them being uncomfortable, but when I tried them on I ended up keeping all but 2 pairs.  Apparently I have lost weight in my feet! 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Beth B, thanks for the info.  It sounds like you are busy.  We have a young couple who left for S Africa after Christmas.  He is a teacher.  They were home the same months.  It's nice that you can get fresh veggies.  I  also lost weight in my feet.  I had two nice pair of boots that I was going to give away, and they now fit me comfortably.  It is wonderful how our weight redistributes on LDL.  Where in the states do you live?  *hug* :)  JF
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

We live in Iowa, near Des Moines. Where are you from? Where do your friends in S.Africa live? I really would like to come to the LDL reunion in Key West. I'm home during that time so it may work out. Have you ever been to one of those?
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

I was able to wear a pair of slacks today that I bought over 3.5 years ago. Still had the tags on AND they didn't fit last week!  I wish I had a scale--I really want to update my ticker.  I'm going into town tomorrow maybe I'll buy one.  I still need a new skirt or dress for church Sunday too.  I love LDL!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Beth, I live in Ohio, right by the beautiful Ohio River.  My daughter and I went to San Antonio last March(Julie's Home  and her family made it a special day  not only for me, but  also for all there) and then we were also part of the Ohio Reunion in October.  Meeting people who has true empathy with you about weight and the path of gaining and losing did something for me.  I have lost the weight many times on different plans; however, as soon as I went off the plan, I gained back.  I never  dreamed there was LDL.  I'm so grateful for it and for the people on the boards who have encouraged me and have given me tools, and recipes for success.  I've been true blue since I started because it is not a diet, but a WOE for life.  Since I am at goal, I have tried  a few different things to see if I gain or get those terrible cravings. So far, so good!!!  I do not plan to ever use  white sugar products or eat pizza again.  I have found other great foods that satisfy. The nice young couple, Steve and Vicky are from my town. I hope you make it to Key West.  I want to be there, and if God allows it, I will.  You are young, so you have a long time to enjoy your new size and to enjoy the health benefits.  :)  *hug*  JF
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thanks Beth for your encouraging postings!  :rose: It is inspiring to hear how well you are doing! Congratulations!  :)  :rose: It is good to be reminded of that wonderful feeling of fitting into smaller clothes! There is nothing like it!!!  :thumbsup:
I have been struggling but really hope and pray I can get back into LDL way of eating better now that it is just the 3 of us left here at home again. It is always with me but I haven't been consistent.

I enjoy hearing about your ministry as well! So thankful for the wonderful things you are doing there! And you are so adventurous! Your exercise group sounds like a lot of fun! Wish we could have joined you!
And as you know I have a personal interest in South Africa and secretly  ;) wish I could visit there and look up my cousins. Lord willing some time I will.  :)
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

JF, you finally got a picture on here!!!!  :thumbsup: and  :thumbsup:

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Yes, JF .... You look fantastic!  :thumbsup:  :)  :rose:
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Ollie and Bethann.  *hug*  JF
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Beautiful picture Joyful Friend!  Thanks for posting it and for way you encourage all of us who are still losing! How much have you lost?  The reunions sound like so much fun!

Bethanne, just promise me that when you come to visit your relatives in South Africa that you will come when I am here and can host you in our home--we have plenty of room!

I had 1/2 hour to shop for a skirt on Saturday; I tried on lots of clothes and finally settled on a black skirt, but I didn't have time to try it on in the store. I got home, and that night before I went to bed I tried it on and it fit perfectly. The next morning I tore off the tags and put it on and lo and behold, it was about an inch too big! Can't take it back now so I wore it anyway and I'll have to take it in. We are going to a formal event in about 3 weeks so I am looking forward to shopping for that, although, now that I think about it, I have the perfect dress at home in Iowa that I could maybe have a team member bring over--it still has the tags on it too!

I have two friends here who asked me to send them the link to LDL! I hope they will join us on this journey!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Beth B.  My DH was stationed at the Sioux City Air Base in the late 50's.  That's where I became pregnant with Country Girl, so it has always been a favorite place.  It is so nice that your clothes are getting too big.  That's what happened to me---I lost in inches more than lbs when I first started.  I shopped in my own closet for a year.  Now, most of those are all gone, and my closet is in order.  :laughing: :laughing:  I plan for it to stay that way with LDL.  I won't have to get new sizes.  I hope you all get to the size you want, and have good health.  :thumbsup:  :)  JF
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

I'm a bit disappointed, but really trying hard not to be.  I finally got to weigh myself today and I had only lost the few pounds I had gained over Christmas plus 2 more.  Even though the amount is small, my clothes are looser and I have been able to give away so many items of clothing the last few months. My husband is very encouraging and the exercise class is still going strong although I'm ready for the next team to come and hopefully bring a new DVD. I'm kind of getting tired of doing the same one.

I am going to step on the scale tomorrow and see if it is any different, and I'm going to try to find a measuring tape and see what changes I have lost in inches.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thinking of you!  :rose:
I'm thankful for you!  :rose:
Christmas is such a difficult time for many of us! I had a terrible time this Christmas and I'm feeling yucky! It sounds like you did a lot better then me! I'm glad for you! I understand though that it is disappointing to not make the progress we would like to make! I sure hear you with that! .....I would love to speed up my progress and not be a turtle!  :rolleyes: I think I should start praying more specifically about that!!  :thumbsup:
Your clothes are looser!  :thumbsup: Right on!
It would be so wonderful to visit you in South Africa and find those relatives! Nothing is impossible with God!  *love* I'm open to anything happening with Him! Thank you so much for your offer of hospitality! What an incredible treat that would be!  :rose:
Love and hugs  *hug*
Bethanne  :D
Last edited by Bethann on January 28th, 2011, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Hi everyone!
We have been really busy with teams, but I just had to pop in and share some news! My goal when I arrived in South Africa on Jan. 4 was to lose what I had gained over Christmas plus 10 pounds by the time the team from my home church arrived last month. I met that goal and my next goal is to lose 11 pounds before I go back to the States April 19. As of today I am 2 pounds down toward that goal!

I have been on LDL for almost 2 years I think, and I have lost even though I have often not been 100% and I've been so pleased that I have maintained the weight I've lost and the plan is so easy to jump back on.  Thank you Roger!

Beth
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Beth B
Congratulations on such success.  You are not far from your final goal so you must feel wonderful.
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Congratulations!    :thumbsup:  Here's to the next 11!
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Congrats, Beth.
Wait for me at the goal line.
I'll get there eventually!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone!  Linda, you are doing great--you'll get there! Wendy, I love your new profile picture--you were beautiful before but now you are a new woman!

I had emergency surgery last week after some major hemorrhaging.  Turned out to be a fibroid tumor and they were able to remove it without doing a hysterectomy. I am very grateful that we found a wonderful doctor and hospital here. I feel so much better!  Still a bit anemic but I'm taking extra iron until I catch up.  I hadn't had much of an appetite for a while but since the surgery it is back with a vengeance! I found sesame corn thins here and I really like them for a change from the original.

I am going to take quick look at the boards--I hope to be able to catch up with what's going on with all of you this week!

Beth
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Beth, You are in my thoughts and prayers!    *love*
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!