Jennie's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Jennie's Journal

Post by LINDA RN »

You can do this Jennie and what a role model you will be for your patients, not to mention family, friends, coworkers and students and all the lives they will touch because of what you learned and taught them.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

LInda I was just thinking the same. I teach my students about health promotion and disease prevention - I know what to do but just don't apply it to my life. I think it would be impressive to the students if I can live what I teach. That can be an incentive. I am restarting today for sure. I have practically gained back all the weight I lost. I know if I stay true to LDL I will be fine.
Breakfast: banana
lunch: chipotle bowl
dinner: fruit
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

My daughter wrote on FB:
"Went to my modbod.com to look at some products. There you enter your age, height/weight, and gender, then how active you are on a scale of sedentary to heavy. Then you're informed how much weight you'll lose per week according to these dynamics. After this I decided I've been going about it the wrong way for years ...the quickest most effective way to lose weight is not curbing your calories or increasing your activity ....Oh No, the best way would be to have a sex-reassignment, as men lose more weight doing nothing then a woman does working her behind off!"
I guess it behoves us not to compare ourselves with others. I find my expectations of myself are a problem. We judge ourselves by our weight, so we think everyone else does too. Well some do, but most don't. I have hated my body since I was 10 years old and going through the chubby stage when my body was going through the major changes of changing from a child to an adult. Last night when I got in the car to go to my seminar, I had the radio on a christian radio station and a woman was witnessing about the same thing. She hated her body because she was overweight. She said, "I was calling God a liar!". She went on to say, the Bible tells us "we are fearfully and wonderfully made" Psalms 139:14. God created us in His own image, see Genesis 1:26-28. Then when He was done He said it is very good. Our bodies take a lot of abuse and still keep going. It functions better when you put good things in it, so that should be your focus. Don't start thinking, I should be a better example and put a guilt trip on yourself, just start everyday by asking God to help you do your best. You inspire more people than you will ever know, and that is good because pride goes before the fall! Just be Jennie!! We all love her!! We are not perfect but God isn't finished with us yet. So to quote a line from "The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel" "It will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Life is good.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Omi,
So to quote a line from "The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel" "It will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." ..Is now my favorite quote for the day!! I had forgotten how much I had laughed when I saw the movie...AND...
Oh No, the best way would be to have a sex-reassignment, as men lose more weight doing nothing then a woman does working her behind off!"
I am still laughing... =)) Thank you. I needed that!

Jen, stay true to yourself. This plan really helps in doing that. When you do something that feels good, Maybe just eating LDL for one day or one meal at a time. Or, the time you said no to a cookie and ate fruit instead.Stop and savor that moment. Remember each detail.
Bringing up that feeling at a time when you need it most. When temptation is at it's highest and will power at it's lowest. ( or won't power in my case).. THINK of that feeling and how it felt. This is being true to yourself.
I didn't lose this month, but I didn't gain. I am not going to get down on myself this time or anymore.
I know I can do better than this..I have a plan, my LDL plan..
Instead, I counted the times I cheated and thought. "Man, I should have gained a whole lot, but I didn't" Being true to myself means...I have the month ahead of me to make better choices. Do I want the "cheat" or do I want the weight off!! My goal this month is to make the choice of wanting the weight off more than I want the cheat...Deep down, I know with LDL I will be able to experience this feeling. So get ready to PAR---TEE when I do. You will hear me ROAR from Virginia!! I will be able to quote from the experienced heart..
OH...I can't weight ( pun intended)!
"NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS"
You are not alone GF. It's not the end yet!!! :ymhug: :ymhug:
Here we go...
Zesti
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

LOL :)) Love the pep talk omalani and zesti - You are both soooo right! I went to the store today and bought all kinds of wonderful fresh fruit and veggies. I have stayed true to LDL for 2 days now and it feels great!! I do have cravings - the DQ by us have their pumpkin blizzards in - oh how I love pumpkin blizzards but so far so good. I am strong. I have to get through the challenging days. When I pick my daughter up from camp on Friday I told her I would take her to lunch. She wants Olive Garden. Now I know they have the soup and salad. Does anyone know if they have LDL friendly soup. I am going to bring my own salad drsg - I hate theirs and I usually don't have a problem bypassing the bread sticks. I am praying everyday that this time I can take this weight off for good. God is good and so patient with me. I am hoping to try some new recipes soon and will share the good ones.
Today I ate
Breakfast: refried beans and eggs
lunch: banana
dinner: 2 pieces of fish, 4 small corn on the cobs and fruit salad.
I am hungry now but am going to try not to eat before bed. Yay me!!!!!!!!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Ask to see their glutin free menu. It will give you some idea or google their menu so you have an idea of what to order. That's a hard one. Or you might take some drained, rinsed beans in a baggie to throw on a salad. Don't go in there hungry though, have a good breakfast like your beans and eggs. Eat a banana before you walk in to the restaurant. I saw you on facebook and you are beautiful and your baby looks like you. Have a wonderful time with your daughter. Life is good.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well I see your ticker is back! :ymapplause:

How about playing around with a pumpkin smoothie?
Freeze your pumpkin puree in ice cube trays.
Blend your frozen bananas and pumpkin in your Ninja or blender.
Might want to add some Greek yogurt.
Maybe try vanilla stevia to sweeten and od course pumpkin pie spice.
When you get it tasting like a pumpkin blizzard, be sure to share.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Thanks Omalani for your sweet compliment ;;) and wonderful suggestions - I never thought to bring beans as well to put on the salad. That will help. And Linda thanks for the pumpkin smoothie suggestion - I am going to experiment - I just might get something similar - just like the pancakes made with egg - I don't ever need real pancakes again. Now just last night my ticker was not there - I guess it shows up when it wants to. I feel strong today.
Breakfast: refried beans and eggs
Lunch: Wendy's chili
dinner: fruit, veggies
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Jen,
This works for me the BEST when ever my DH and I or GF's go out to dinner..
I Pull the menu up on the web site. I decide then and there what I am going to eat. I do this at home when I am NOT hungry.
I write it down on a piece of paper. I don't even look at the menu when we get to the restaurant.
When I started doing this at first. I would ask my DH to place my order for me. It's all written down. That worked out best when I left to go to the bathroom and didn't have a lot of changes to my food. DH doesn't appreciate a lot of changes, he is very simple to please but, he supports me anyway. GF's have no problem with this it at all! And end up ordering what I am ordering anyway..
Now, I still look the menu up, write it down. I review in the car before I get out. And order what I have written down... I am stronger now. I still do NOT look at the menu when I am there...
When it's a real nice restaurant, usually meaning expensive but has a professional chef cooking.
I still do the above. when I get there and they have a "special" regarding fish. I get the fish baked, all sides changed to veggies, and all dressings on the side. Bread at the table doesn't' bother me any more, even if it's hot out of the oven..yeah!!
The last time I had gone to Olive Garden, I was out all day and really famished. Way OVER hungry!!.
Inside I was in a panic...So,..I took long deep breaths..the world wasn't ending...breathed again...OK I said "I can do this like a normal human being, only it's gonna be my way"...We were seated, I DID NOT ORDER..
I asked the server to serve me my salad first and I would decide later on my Entree...so I did just that...I ate the salad, I don't like the dressing either! and asked for a side of fresh tomatoes..which I added to my salad and ate and ate AND ATE until the PANIC was gone. Between 4 women, I think we ordered 5 bowls of salad!!...I was once again at peace with the world.
I order a cup of the minestrone soup. I just removed the pasta with my spoon before I ate it.
I had a wonderful roasted chicken breast with peppers and asked for NO sauce..just my preference. I was so happy and satisfied. I ate so much salad I couldn't eat my entree, so I doggie bagged it. I really enjoy the time with my friends. When I got home it was 2 hours before I started thinking about food, but when I ate dinner. It was a bowl of cabbage and beans with other veggies because that's all I wanted. Then my late night snack was a smoothie into pop corn. THAT WAS A GOOD DAY!! HA! that was a GERRR-RATE!! DAY!!
I kept the entree for next days lunch, which I ended up eating cold over nice crunchy lettuce and added beans, corn and mushrooms..
Now looking back, that was one of my biggest weight loss weeks. GO FIGURE! All that panic was just wasted!! Well, maybe not wasted, because it take a lot of calories to burn for a good old fashion PANIC!..lol
My moral to this story...I am not so afraid to eat out now. I can do it and so can you!!
If you have questions about whether or not they will make a substitute for you . Call the restaurant. They don't know who you are and you can ask the stupidest questions..LOL..and we know there are none of those!!
And when all esoe fails...remember to be true to yourself and that your DAUGHTER IS WATCHING!! XXOO
Sorry this is just so wordy and long. I just had to tell you my WHOLE story..
Zesti.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Luv, luv, luv those stories and they are so helpful. Going out to eat is not as bad, but I hate it when someone else orders the things I really wanted and then have the gall, not to finish eating it!! And oh no, they don't want to take it home either!! :ymdevil: Especially the kids!! I used to take their uneaten fries home, dice them up and put them in scrabbled eggs. Now I just go to eat with the grownup grandkids and they pay for my dinner!! O:-) They are also my biggest fans. They say, "Oma, everytime I see you, you are smaller!" I don't take their leftovers either!!
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Thanks for sharing your story zesti - I just admire you and omalani - you are just sooo strong. I am soooo weak. I honestly don't know how I became so weak. I used to be able to deny myself but I just can't seem to anymore. I lack the strength. I pray a lot and that helps. I can do this. But just in case I am still going to try to talk her into a safer restaurant :)) I will let you know how I do.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Oh Jen, I am right there with you when it comes to being weak. It is the LDL plan that is changing things for me. I can eat and eat and eat some more and I can still lose weight.
I always had plenty of Will Power it's the Won't Power I was in short supply of. But, I am learning to change that now. So, in the mean time, I am just eating the LDL foods until I can't eat no more. ( bad English intended..lol)..And I do it without any quilt.
When I have an off day or meal. I just get up and eat a bowl of corn and it makes me want to eat healthy foods again.
You are so much more than any diet and so much stronger then you can ever imagine.
You haven't given up! Weak people just walk away or lay down and die. Strong people keep trying and trying and trying. You can do this. It's not a matter of weak and strong it's a matter of eating new foods that you love. Learning to eat fresh healthy food is a challenge, especially with you on the go all the time.
Don't give in. If you are hungry EAT. If you have already eaten and are still hungry. EAT..and then when you can't think of anything to eat then eat a bowl of frozen corn. Eat a HUGE bowl then add some raw sweet red peppers. That's how it starts. When you are at home and don't know what to cook. Eat a bowl of corn while you think about it. That is my go to "pig out" meal or sometimes it's my snack before my meal.
Or I eat a bowl of corn or three ears of corn on the cob off the grille before I go out to dinner. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. Read the book over and over if you have too. I think I have read mine a million times by now. Each time I do, I think God uses that to speak to me and I hear something different.
When I wanted bread. I opened cans of butter beans and just ate them. This was 2 in the morning too.
Then I made the bean cakes in the book. Now, I simply don't want bread anymore and use my corn thins to make a sandwich OR two!! I don't miss bread and let me tell you. That is nothing short of a miracle.
When I say "if I can do it anyone can" I really mean it. I am one step stronger than MUDD!! My strength is building each day, minute by minute.
Come on GF. WE have 60 pounds to lose before next summer.
Hey, Let's Do Lunch with your daughter...
:ymhug:
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I was talking about my success on one of my million diets a couple of years ago and as usual very excited the first week when I lost 4 lbs., and one of my coworkers said "as long as I've known you and all the diets you been on you haven't lost the weight!" Well I tried extra hard but it didn't last long and I had gained back what little I lost. I saw her the other day when I took my daughter her lunch after swimming at the YMCA, and her comment was, "aren't you going to Stephen any more to get your hair done?" She never said anything about how thin I am. Some people are just negative, so don't listen to them. And don't listen to the accurer, that old devil when he tells you to give up. You need to enjoy life because God said when He created us, "It is very good!" Got to go pick up the grandkids. One day at a time sweetie.
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Thanks for the pep talk. I did really good yesterday - I had Wendy's chili at lunch because I was on the run and for dinner I just had an apple. I picked my daughter up from dance at 7p and she was hungry so I went through Wendys drivethru - I kept telling myself that I really am not that hungry and I really wasn't but I was there, couldn't resist and got another chili. Although I believe Wendy's chili is LDL I really didn't want 2 bowls in one day. I would really like to get to the point where I do not eat after 6p - especially those heavy proteins. I am feeling better. I am still going to try to talk my daughter out of OLive Garden but if I can't I will do as suggested - MInestrone soup and salad and spoon off any pasta.
Breakfast: banana
Lunch: Olive Garden or Chipotle
dinner: bean and corn pancake, fruit if still hungry
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Jen,
Learning to know when your body is hungry is still SO HARD for me to do too. So, in the mean time. I EAT...
Wendy's Chile is a better choice, had I been there, I think I would have had the large serving bowl of chile and ordered one of their "sad" salads and poured the chili on top of that! Or reach in my glove compartment for my corn thins. Either of the two are a "better" choice of to not order a hamburger and shake like I was used too, So, afterwards now.. I hug myself.....
Your body was hungry. Maybe it was for something else and not food. But, for now. It was telling you to eat.
So EAT...choice the better choice now. Once this becomes a habit. Believe it or not. Your body will start telling you what and when to eat...
I had terrible reflux before going LDL.I still am a late night eater. The WORLD says eating at night is "bad" for you. When I started eating LDL late at night, no reflux. Wow, does that ever feel good!
I stopped listen to "the world" and started listening to my body. It said "eat" and when I eat LDL snacks/foods I don't have reflux. Everybody is happy!
I still try not to eat late at night, especially right before bed. But, I am really bad at it. It causes a lot of undo stress and negative thoughts I have come to say every night " I love me"..because God said too!! And, another thing I say to myself "ok self so you want to eat? then eat!"
I go get a big bowl of grapes. Sometimes the craving is so bad. I get the ole' standby out. BUTTER BEANS! smash em up and eat until the craving is gone. I think I eat so much that if I lay on my back my tummy would touch the ceiling!! :D But, the worst nights ended up only being two cans. I felt stuffed but done! then realized. Hey, this is what stuffed means.. #-o #-o ... Then pray. God takes the guilt. He can handle it. He leaves me with sweet dreams and a thought for the morning when I first wake up....YEAH! I did it, another day over and I stayed on the train...YEA!..it's a good way to start the day that's for sure...
Now, as each night comes, even late night TV. I don't eat so much. I have gone to bed not having eaten anything for the past 2 hours and not even realizing it. I don't realize it until the next day..Isn't that weird?
But, it's happening. I eat my protein meal for lunch-ish. Sometimes this doesn't happen until 5pm!
I had my first ONE bowl serving ( if there is such a thing!) the other night of pop corn. I really didn't want anything else. I was done for the night. That still blows me away and is becoming the new "norm" in my life.

You did GREAT at Wendy's, give yourself a hug :ymhug: ..... I truly believe that we have to learn to walk before we can run. It's all these little baby steps that help to build our foundations strong. With God's help. We'll fix the cracks together.
Zesti
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Jen,
Learning to know when your body is hungry is still SO HARD for me to do too. So, in the mean time. I EAT...
Wendy's Chile is a better choice, had I been there, I think I would have had the large serving bowl of chile and ordered one of their "sad" salads and poured the chili on top of that! Or reach in my glove compartment for my corn thins. Either of the two are a "better" choice of to not order a hamburger and shake like I was used too, So, afterwards now.. I hug myself.....
Your body was hungry. Maybe it was for something else and not food. But, for now. It was telling you to eat.
So EAT...choice the better choice now. Once this becomes a habit. Believe it or not. Your body will start telling you what and when to eat...
I had terrible reflux before going LDL.I still am a late night eater. The WORLD says eating at night is "bad" for you. When I started eating LDL late at night, no reflux. Wow, does that ever feel good!
I stopped listen to "the world" and started listening to my body. It said "eat" and when I eat LDL snacks/foods I don't have reflux. Everybody is happy!
I still try not to eat late at night, especially right before bed. But, I am really bad at it. It causes a lot of undo stress and negative thoughts I have come to say every night " I love me"..because God said too!! And, another thing I say to myself "ok self so you want to eat? then eat!"
I go get a big bowl of grapes. Sometimes the craving is so bad. I get the ole' standby out. BUTTER BEANS! smash em up and eat until the craving is gone. I think I eat so much that if I lay on my back my tummy would touch the ceiling!! :D But, the worst nights ended up only being two cans. I felt stuffed but done! then realized. Hey, this is what stuffed means.. #-o #-o ... Then pray. God takes the guilt. He can handle it. He leaves me with sweet dreams and a thought for the morning when I first wake up....YEAH! I did it, another day over and I stayed on the train...YEA!..it's a good way to start the day that's for sure...
Now, as each night comes, even late night TV. I don't eat so much. I have gone to bed not having eaten anything for the past 2 hours and not even realizing it. I don't realize it until the next day..Isn't that weird?
But, it's happening. I eat my protein meal for lunch-ish. Sometimes this doesn't happen until 5pm!
I had my first ONE bowl serving ( if there is such a thing!) the other night of pop corn. I really didn't want anything else. I was done for the night. That still blows me away and is becoming the new "norm" in my life.

You did GREAT at Wendy's, give yourself a hug :ymhug: ..... I truly believe that we have to learn to walk before we can run. It's all these little baby steps that help to build our foundations strong. With God's help. We'll fix the cracks together.
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I post my menus 1 to 3 days in advance to use up my leftovers and then edit any changes or add any snacks or binges. It gives me something to look forward to. I was looking at Patsyfays menus and thinking I will try the broccoli slaw with meatballs and sauce. If I had any room in my freezer I would make a big baggie of them to freeze and whip out when I am in a hurry. You have to be adaptable on your schedule. Making semi-home recipes helps. Turkey will start to be on sale and I will but some breasts to grill on my showtime rotissarie. the last one I made was great and we ate on it for days and I boiled the bones for home made broth. It is easier being retired. If you have a salad bar at your market you could get the preped veggies you like and throw them in some broth, add a can of rinsed beans, spices and maybe a cup of pumpkin puree with your favorite spices and you have LDL soup for days. Try to make it easy. I love LP's Knock your socks off soup! I have it in different variations frequently. And of course it isn't Sunday without your banana pancakes! Point is we are all working out our problems daily and stop telling yourself you are weak. You are amazing, I think you just put yourself at the bottom of the list, and stress can cause you to gain as well as the hormones with change of life. Just don't give up!! Get back on tract, next meal or next day or as soon as you can. We all have weak moments, but that does not make us weak!! Life is good, even in the fast lanes, you'll see. :ymhug:
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Somehow, I lost the thread this was on. It was regarding coconut milk.
I found this site that had some really good info on this.
http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-why-c ... our-friend
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Very interesting article Zesti
Thanks for sharing.
Finding tomatoes canned in glass is hard.
Linda

jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Thanks all for the terrific advice. I did very well at the Olive Garden. I ate 2 salads and 2 bowls of the chili like soup with the pasta removed and one minestrone soup with the pasta removed. Amazing how much pasta they put in their soups. I brought my own dressing for the salad and I left full without any desire for breadsticks. I was so happy. I didn't eat the rest afternoon but around 8p I was hungry and ate popcorn. I have stuck to strict LDL for 4 days and thought I would sneak a peak at the scale this morning. Of course, I know better. I gained a pound - usually I would let that discourage me and go off but I'm not cuz I feel better and healthier - this is the way I need to eat the rest of my life. I have been hungry today.
Breakfast: banana, refried beans, eggs
snack: apple, 2 corn thin spread with refried beans. (calling that a snack because I at it at 10am and still want lunch).
Here goes nothing. The next challenge I foresee will be on Oct 25 when we have our fall BD celebrations - lots of great food and cake but I will think of some fabulous LDL entrees and desserts.