Faster Way to Use Dried Beans

Get innovations here.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Faster Way to Use Dried Beans

Post by LINDA RN »

I choose not to use the microwave. Wonder how this would work using the covered Pyrex bowls? Pour boiling water over the beans? So then you drain them and boil? Does this help eliminate the gas? I have noticed that I do have more gas eating the dried beans vs the canned.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

You can do the same thing on the stove. Just bring them to a boil and then remove from heat...let stand for 1-2 hours...drain and rinse...then start your normal cooking process. Just remember if you let your beans soak for six hours (some recipes say overnight but that's really too long because the beans will begin to ferment...that might be the cause of your gas problem) they won't take as long to cook.

CQ
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

I have discovered that by boiling the beans on the stove for 2 minutes and then covering and waiting a hour, then rinsing, the beans do not need to cook as long as the directions say. 
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, when we do beans they are done in about an hour by pressure cooking.
I never have soaked them before cooking.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

I have never soaked my beans and have cooked them for years. I find they don't take that long to cook and they are really good. You just need to put them on early. When I cook them I put them on after I get up in the morning.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

I cook mine on high in the crockpot...takes about 4 hours. I put them on the first thing in the AM and they are ready by lunch time. No muss, no fuss way of cooking!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN wrote:Well, when we do beans they are done in about an hour by pressure cooking.
I never have soaked them before cooking.

Some people soak them overnight but they soak them too long. I thought that might be your problem. Obviously it isn't. But, I have found that the beans don't take as long if I soak them instead of boiling them in the morning before I start my recipe. It might be the water. That does play a part in our cooking.

CQ
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

barrypaxton wrote:I cook mine on high in the crockpot...takes about 4 hours. I put them on the first thing in the AM and they are ready by lunch time. No muss, no fuss way of cooking!!

Ollie

Ollie, do your beans taste funny or is the water dirty looking?  Every time I have tried cooking beans in the crockpot they don't taste right.  I must be doing something wrong.  What do you do?
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Always use filtered water in anything we eat.

Never had a problem with the time it took cooking beans. Would cook them on the stove over 3-4 hours. Then when my mom gave me the QVC Quick Cooker, I found the pressure cooker made the beans so soft and tasty in 2 hours. The silicone gasket wore out, so we bought the Presto pressure cooker. Less than an hour and they are soft and good to go. Cooked the Garbanzo's too long though. Like them a little better al dente. Have to work on the timing.
Linda

barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

mylife,

I have not had that problem cooking the beans in the crockpot. I rinse them really good. I add seasonings such as garlic powder, diced onions, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke. The liquid smoke gives the beans a "meaty" flavor. Very good that way.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Thanks, Ollie.  I have not been adding any seasonings.  I'll need to add seasonings and see if this works.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I always use filtered water for everything I cook and drink. If I soak my beans then they only take about 1 1/2 hours (2 hours max depending on the type of bean) to cook on the stove.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I used to put about a tablespoon of bacon grease in my pinto beans when cooking. Since LDL I substituted some Olive Oil (probably a TBSP-don't measure...just eyeball). A lttle fat or oil and some salt makes a big difference in how the beans taste. Ollie's seasonings will make the beans really yummy also but I might leave out the garlic and liquid smoke if I were going use the beans later in fruit smoothies!  :sick:  ;D ;D  *woot*
Linda

mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Thanks, Linda!  I hadn't tried it with Olive Oil.  Before LDL bacon grease was what I used too.